General Discussion Race Reports! » Detroit Free Press/Flagstar Bank Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Detroit Free Press/Flagstar Bank Marathon - RunMarathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Detroit, Michigan
United States
Detroit Free Press / Flagstar Bank
40F / 4C
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 35m
Overall Rank = 2757/3875
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 370/475
Pre-race routine:

yogourt with grape nuts, gatorade, had to hurry up to get across border before they closed the tunnel for the race. Corrals were packed when we arrived, and found parking, so we were behind everyone, including the walkers, took about 8 minutes to get to the starting line after the whistle
Event warmup:

stretch a little...get gloves, and mittens and hats on
Run
  • 4h 35m
  • 26.2 miles
  • 10m 30s  min/mile
Comments:

Great for 16 miles, not so great for 2 miles, terrible for 2 miles, pretty good for six miles...longest training run (slacked off last 6 weeks) was 18...and that was just about where my race died...actually had to walk about 1.5 miles (19 marker to well past 20 marker)...then picked myself up and started running again...guess its true...can't fake this distance...great finish in Ford Field...tried to do a cut and sprint up the field, but lateral movement did not work, so just sprinted the last 40 yards...figured there might be some Lions scouts in the stands...they could use the help
What would you do differently?:

train....and then do some more training...and then train a little harder...entirely my own fault though
Post race
Warm down:

ate the lovely bag of chips they gave us (are you kidding me!?)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

entirely self induced..finish plan...

Event comments:

Great race, great crowd, great fan support, great course, great finish...horrible post race...

Last updated: 2006-11-01 12:00 AM
Running
04:35:00 | 26.2 miles | 10m 30s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/475
Overall: 0/3875
Performance: Below average
Course: Beautiful...completely packed course for first half, running through west Detroit and onto bridge just as sunrise apexed...running through windsor also cool, saw some people I know on the sidelines, and then back through the tunnel, which was a neat experience...back to the Joe on Jefferson after leaving tunnel was cool, because both sides were absolutely lined with people, then downtown detroit (right up woodward) and a little loopy before coming down past CoPa, and the halfers broke off to go into ford field. The course got real boring after that...greektown, fort street, belle isle (windy for the whole circle, how does that happen?) then through some of the more well to do areas of east D...then back through the heart, and greektown again before finish...the race definitely popped its wad on the first half...
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Bad
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-11-01 9:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
windsor, ontario
Subject: Detroit Free Press/Flagstar Bank Marathon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Detroit Free Press/Flagstar Bank Marathon Rss Feed