United States
Space Coast Triathletes
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 05m 15s
Overall Rank = 142/162
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 6/7
Pre-race routine:

Big fat Everything Bagel with peanut butter and 16 ounces of water at 4 a.m. A peanut butter Power Bar about 1 hour before race start. I had packed the night before so the only thing I had to do the morning of the race was eat and stand around nervously waiting for my husband, who in his classic, laid-back fashion hadn't packed or planned anything (right down to what he was going to wear). The race is about three miles from our house so we got there in no time, parked, and were body marked in a jiffy. We set up in transition then wandered around looking for people we knew.
Event warmup:

Walked around grinning like a goof. I might have circled my arms once or twice in an attempt to look like an athlete. Just before the swim I waded into the water and looked for shark fins and attempted to overcome my sheer TERROR of the open water.
Swim
  • 09m 25s
  • 440 yards
  • 02m 08s / 100 yards
Comments:

I wouldn't call this swimming so much as panicking in the water. I hadn't done any open water swims before the race (all pool training) and that's because I'm terrified of swimming in our "river" -- it's really a lagoon and is a Bull Shark nursery. Bull sharks and me don't mix. I knew the only thing that would truly get me into that water was the actual RACE, and I was right. I DID get in the water and I DID finish the swim and I hated every single minute of it. There was absolutely NO visibility (you can't even see your own hand in front of you), and that terrified me beyond belief. And because of my fear of being alone in the water I started towards the back, but in the center of the pack. The entire way out to the buoy I was taking kicks and punches to the face and body and was not in any sort of groove. As I rounded the bouy things cleared up significantly, however, and I was actually swimming just as I would in the pool at that point. I did manage to actually pass the slow men from the men's wave that was three minutes ahead of me so there is something to say for sheer panic. I wanted out of that water, and I wanted out as fast as possible.
What would you do differently?:

Not yet sure how I'm going to get over this phobia. The obvious is to practice in open water, but I can't honestly say that anything other than an actual race will entice me to get into that water again.

I'm going to rate this a good swim for me because despite the terror, I DID IT, plus I swam faster than the 6 other women in my age group.
Transition 1
  • 05m 29s
Comments:

I realized I had caught up with my husband at this point and we spent much of this time in transition taking photos and trash-talking. No, it wasn't fast but it was FUN! We decided to do the rest of the race together.

In the future I will probably cut out the horseplay and get right down to business. Maybe. But I'm not making any promises.
Bike
  • 1h 04m 50s
  • 15.9 miles
  • 14.71 mile/hr
Comments:

We had fun, but we didn't go fast. Neither of us have road bikes (I have a hybrid and he had a mountain) so we knew we weren't going to compete with all the fancy folks in aero anyway. I was never out of breath at all on this ride, which means I wasn't pushing hard, but I was letting my husband set the pace up front. I was paranoid about getting some sort of drafting penalty so I stayed well back and I had to coast several times to stay the right distance off his rear. We even slowed to check out manatees under one of the bridges. I really, really, really had fun on this ride. We thanked EVERY group of volunteers we passed and we cheered on all the racers who passed us (mostly the Olympic racers on their second loop). I didn't think I was going to enjoy the biking segment at all, but I really did.

For this race? Nothing. We will probabaly not stick together for the next race and I'll push myself much harder. Maybe. But I'm not promising anything because honestly I had so much fun doing this race with my hubby.
Transition 2
  • 02m 25s
Comments:

Seeing as neither of us have to unclip or change shoes or anything I can't imagine why we were SO slow. Too much laughing and high-fiving, probably. :)

Nothing for this race. For the next race I'll focus more. Maybe.
Run
  • 43m 9s
  • 3.5 miles
  • 12m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

Well, I had dumped a bunch of ice in my tri-suit during transition, which I thought was very clever... except it all worked its way down to my crotch, which, uh, was kinda cold (and looked ODD no doubt!). Running with ice in your crotch is quite an... experience. I also put ice under my hat which was GREAT. Heat is always my biggest limiting factor during a run. I carried a smallish cold water bottle with me, too, and kept pouring water on the back of my neck. We walked alot on this run because my husband was suffering, but I didn't mind much because I was having mega amounts of fun. I knew this was IT, the race was almost over, and I sort of didn't want it to end because of all the time I had put into training and planning for this one event! We stopped several times and took photos of each other, and together, and with friends, so all in all I was surprised our time wasn't closer to an hour!

Nothing. It was a blast. I can always run faster during training runs. :)
Post race
Warm down:

Lots more photos, some cold water, and lots of congratulations to our whole bunch of first-timers. We did it! On the way home we picked up sushi to-go and ate that along with some nice, cold beer when we got home. Ahhhh, is there anything better than a cool SHOWER? I think not.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Inexperience and a goofy personality.

Event comments:

Can't wait to do this one again next year!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2006-07-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:25 | 440 yards | 02m 08s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/7
Overall: 0/162
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Straight out to a bouy, around the bouy, and straight back.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Good
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 05:29
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:04:50 | 15.9 miles | 14.71 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/7
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: The course included 3 big Causeway bridges and a couple smaller bridges. The rest of the course was flat.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:25
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:43:09 | 03.5 miles | 12m 20s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/7
Course: A couple blocks in the old downtown over some small inclines and declines, then over the big Causeway bridge, then turn around and run back over that same bridge down to the finish.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-11-03 9:40 AM

User image

Master
Indian Harbour Beach, Florida
Subject: Health First Triathlon (Sprint)

2006-11-03 9:51 AM
in reply to: #587562

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
Subject: RE: Health First Triathlon (Sprint)
Right on!  Next time we'll get you a bit more serious !  Hopefully we'll see you at the Pineappleman, it's usually hot for it and you can always use ice in the crotch for that one  

Edited by DRM 2006-11-03 9:52 AM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Health First Triathlon (Sprint) Rss Feed