General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IMNA changes name (what next?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-11-03 11:29 AM

User image

Expert
Mt. Morris, IL
Subject: IMNA changes name (what next?)
I don't know who was at the dinner in Florida or who has been on ST today, but I am a little concerned over this rift between INMA (soon to be North American Sports?) and the WTC.  THis could (I repeat could) have a huge impact on the IMHI slots that go to the current IMNA races.  Anyone else see problems comming?

2006-11-03 11:31 AM
in reply to: #587834

User image

Subject: RE: IMNA changes name (what next?)

Not for me since I ain't qualifying anytime soon

For those that can, I don't see what the big deal is, they'll just go to whatever venues/races offer the qualifying spots.

IF that is even what happens

2006-11-03 11:31 AM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
2006-11-03 11:44 AM

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills

Relax ... the qaulifying slots will still be there.  All you have to do now is finish

Seriously, sounds more like Ironman North America is changing it's name to diversify their product offerings (e.g. races other than Iron distances) - after all, there is limited and even a finite revenue potential to hosting those events.

IMNA has already shown that they are the Mercedes of race organization, so I suspect they plan on taking that experience and reputation to producing more events in order to capitalize on the growth of endurance sports.

nccgrap - 2006-11-03 12:29 PM I don't know who was at the dinner in Florida or who has been on ST today, but I am a little concerned over this rift between INMA (soon to be North American Sports?) and the WTC.  THis could (I repeat could) have a huge impact on the IMHI slots that go to the current IMNA races.  Anyone else see problems comming?

2006-11-03 11:49 AM

User image

Pro
St Charles, IL

nccgrap - 2006-11-03 10:29 AM I don't know who was at the dinner in Florida or who has been on ST today, but I am a little concerned over this rift between INMA (soon to be North American Sports?) and the WTC. THis could (I repeat could) have a huge impact on the IMHI slots that go to the current IMNA races. Anyone else see problems comming?

Sorry, I must have missed the part where this affects Kona spots.

The organization formerly known as IMNA is a race organization that licenses the Ironman brand from the WTC for the races in North America that they produce.  No different than the many companies that put on 70.3 races and license the Ironman name from WTC.

There's a limited number of 140.6 races that can be held, due to the logistics that are involved.  NAS can put on other types of races now ( oly, duathlons, running races, etc. ) without the "baggage" of the Ironman name.  Makes plenty of sense to me.

2006-11-03 3:05 PM

User image

Pro
St Charles, IL

And here's the press release:

http://www.ironmannorthamerica.com/news/fullstory.php?storyid=711

( emphasis is mine

Ironman North America changes corporate name
By: staff    November 3, 2006

BOULDER, Colo.-Ironman North America, Inc organizers of eight Ironman-sanctioned events in the United States and Canada, has announced the changing of its’ corporate name to North America Sports™, Inc (NA Sports).

Operating in the United States since 1998, Ironman North America, Inc and (now North America Sports, Inc.) has led a rapid expansion of Ironman events in the United States and around the world, hosting events in Lake Placid, N.Y.; Panama City Beach, Fla.; Penticton, British Columbia; Madison, Wisc.; Coeur d’Alene, Idaho; Tempe, Arizona; Oceanside, Calif.; and Walt Disney World® Resort, Fla.
     The move expands the reach and scope of NA Sports into areas outside of Ironman triathlon. NA Sports has extended their Ironman Race agreements with the World Triathlon Corporation (WTC) for a further five years and all six full Ironman races will continue to offer qualifying slots for the Ford Ironman World Championships as in previous years. NA Sports and WTC will continue to partner together to grow the sport of triathlon.
     “Ironman has been a big part of our business,” said North America Sports ™, Inc. CEO Graham Fraser. “But we understand that our growth as a business is predicated on expanding into other events including triathlon.”
     The change represents the third change for Fraser’s corporate entities, which began as TriSport Promotions (operating Subaru Ironman Canada as well as a triathlon series in Ontario), becoming Ironman North America with the move to the United States and finally to the current metamorphosis to NA Sports.
     “This marks a natural progression for our company,” added Fraser. ‘We have an ambitious staff that is always looking for the next challenge, and we think we have some great ideas under our new banner of North America Sports™, Inc.”
     As part of this process, long-time employee and triathlon legend Paula Newby-Fraser has been named President of North America Sports™, Inc., with Graham Fraser being elevated to CEO of the corporation.
     Newby-Fraser is an eight-time Ironman World Champion and has won a total of 24 events in her illustrious career.
     ‘This is an exciting venture,” said Newby-Fraser. “Our goal is to continue to build on our great experience and success that we have had with Ironman events. We have great staff and great ideas and I am excited to get started.”
     One of the key components to the new venture will be the continued goal of raising money for charity and non-profit groups. NA Sports has given away more than $700,000 to charities and non-profits in the eight Ironman race sites in the U.S. and Canada. The Janus Charity Challenge program has raised an additional 7.5 million for charities throughout the U.S. as well using NA Sports events as a platform.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IMNA changes name (what next?) Rss Feed