United States
38F / 3C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 32m
Overall Rank = 156/245
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 4/7
Pre-race routine:

Woke up around 5am. Had some frozen waffles and a muffin. Drank some Heed on the drive to Chateau Elan (which took about 45 minutes). Got there SUPER early - probably a little after 6am. Set up my bike and waited, and waited, and waited. Then I saw David (Falls-Runner) and was happy to see a familiar face. We talked until the start.
Event warmup:

Very short jog from transition area to race start.
Run
  • 21m 21s
  • 2.4 miles
  • 08m 54s  min/mile
Comments:

It was freezing at the start of the run, and against better judgment I took off my jacket. I was glad I did that - I was hot by the end of the run. I was running faster than I usually do, and there was one hill where I almost started walking (a lot of people were!) but I just went up slowly.
What would you do differently?:

Train for hills better.
Transition 1
  • 01m 58s
Comments:

I was pretty out of breath by the time I got to the transition area, so I went as fast as I could. Faster than my last transitions, so that's good.

Nothing
Bike
  • 44m 34s
  • 12.5 miles
  • 16.83 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike - my favorite part. David and I checked out the bike route a few weeks earlier, so I knew what to expect. It was pretty hilly in the beginning and then straight down towards the end. I saw my computer hit 33MPH, which is the fastest I've seen on there. I know my HR was up there the whole time, but I hate getting passed on the bike and fortunately I only did once. I also passed probably about 10-15 people, which is always a good feeling.

Do more run/bike bricks. It's kinda hard to get on the bike after the run.
Transition 2
  • 01m 33s
Comments:

The a-hole guy next to me racked his bike where mine was supposed to go (I was at the end of the rack). He had his stinking bike wheel on my running shoes! And there was plenty of room on the other side. So I had to shove his over and get my stuff out from under his bike. I think it went pretty well considering all that! I almost forgot to take off my helmet, but then remembered I didn't want to be "that" girl!

Not rack on the end?
Run
  • 22m 35s
  • 2.4 miles
  • 09m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

Wow - I was doing okay until the end of the run and there was this ginormous hill to climb. I didn't want to walk, but I realized at some point that with how slow I was running I could walk faster and get my HR down a little. And the finish was up another hill. I looked at my finishing photo and you can see the pain on my face!

Train more for the run after the run and bike. It was definitely not easy for me and I felt like I could have trained more on some hills.
Post race
Warm down:

Falls-Runner was there to cheer for me as I crossed the finish line, which was very nice! We got some water, our t-shirts, some food and waited for the awards.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The cold weather (hurt my lungs) and no real hill training on the bike or running. I usually go out to the Comet, which has grade but no real hills. I need to hit Stone Mountain some more for the hill training.

Event comments:

Great race. I'll do it against next year!

Last updated: 2006-09-25 12:00 AM
Running
00:21:21 | 02.4 miles | 08m 54s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/7
Overall: 0/245
Performance: Good
HR was very high - I was running faster than usual. Ave was 177.
Course: Down and around the golf course
Keeping cool Good Drinking
T1
Time: 01:58
Overall: Good
Run with bike? Average
Jump on bike? Good
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Good
Biking
00:44:34 | 12.5 miles | 16.83 mile/hr
Performance: Good
High HR - Ave around 179 and max at 188
Wind: Some
Course: On the roads around Chateau Elan
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:33
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:22:35 | 02.4 miles | 09m 25s  min/mile
Performance: Average
VERY high HR at the end
Course: Back the other way through the golf course
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-11-03 12:19 PM

User image

Expert
Smyrna, GA
Subject: Chateau Elan Duathlon

2006-11-03 12:30 PM
in reply to: #587954

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills
Subject: RE: Chateau Elan Duathlon

Nicely done ... it was cold to start out with, but those hills on the run course was enough to warm me up! 

The a-hole guy next to me racked his bike where mine was supposed to go (I was at the end of the rack). He had his stinking bike wheel on my running shoes!

The whole racking situation was a goat-rodeo ... not having them parsed by number resulted in a free-for-all situation with too many people on the "prime" racks. Still, there is no excuse for him to do that. (Bad race karma is now bestowed upon him - he will flat in his next race while in the process of getting written up for a penalty.)

2006-11-03 1:55 PM
in reply to: #587954

User image

Veteran
Acworth, Georgia
Subject: RE: Chateau Elan Duathlon
Great job, Meredith.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Chateau Elan Duathlon Rss Feed