General Discussion Race Reports! » Treasure Island Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Treasure Island Triathlon - Olympic Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
San Francisco, California
United States
TriCalifornia
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 37m 24s
Overall Rank = 159/650
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 22/65
Pre-race routine:

I only did a 2-day taper for this (shortened run 2-days before, rest day the day before). It’s still hard for me to grok that less truly is more, but I’ll work on that next season.

Had some pasta the night before for dinner. I decided to go ahead and use the Cervelo P2K I bought on craigslist a couple weeks ago, even though I only had maybe 100 miles with it.

Slept well. I woke up at about 5:15 and DW woke up at about 5:40. I had a big bowl of Smart Start cereal and a cup of coffee (Peets Holiday blend). Topped off the air on my tires, finished loading up the car. Left the house by about 6:10, plenty of time to get to Treasure Island. Race starts at 7:15, but my wave was at 7:45.

Event warmup:

I didn’t do much warm up. Only a mild bike ride from the parking lot to the transition area, some strides, and the 5 minutes they gave us in the water prior to our wave start.

Swim
  • 29m 40s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 49s / 100 yards
Comments:

Water was 60 degrees, relatively warm for the bay. My wave, the M35-39 group, was the third wave. There were about 65 of us and we were in yellow caps. Started off cleanly, but did get later get hit and hit/kicked others. By the first buoy (250m), I caught up to some blue cap stragglers (M30-34) on their second lap. I settled into an endurance pace. I could hear cheering from the crowd when coming around to start the second lap.

Shortly thereafter, the second wave started. Ugh. I was getting swum over a lot by the fast swimmers in that group. It also meant that it took me almost 15 min. to do one lap. Ugh. I was hoping for a better time than that, but okay. Second lap was straightforward. Some incidental contact. Passed some blue caps again. I did feel my ankle strap with the timing chip flapping a bit. Someone must have whacked it and I was afraid it was going to fall off.
Transition 1
  • 02m 45s
Comments:

I wasn’t really sure how getting out of the water was going to work, because when we came into the water, there was a submerged platform with 3 steps. Fortunately, there were volunteers who were helping people through that bit. I could hear DW cheering me on and she was doing her paparazzi thing for me. I had to run about 10 rows to get to my row. Passed an aid station on the and grabbed some water. Top of my wetsuit came off no problem, but I did have a problem with my ankle again. I think the trick for next time is to put on the wetsuit on top of the ankle strap and not have the ankle strap below the wetsuit. I swigged some water and headed for the bike exit. We had to run maybe 100 feet after the bike exit before the mount line.
Bike
  • 1h 17m 41s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 19.19 mile/hr
Comments:

Well, here was a chance to use my new (for me) bike. I hope I made the right choice between using my tri bike instead of my road bike. For the first lap, I just wanted to get my legs warmed up and to make sure I knew how the course went. The course wasn’t yet crowded so that was good. Lots of bumps and already a bit of litter (water bottles, tubular tires, squishy thingie from profile aerobottles) on the course. I passed a few, but always feel like I get blown away on the bike, esp. by those on tri bikes with aero wheelsets, but also just some damn strong cyclists on road bikes. End of the first lap goes uphill to a u-turn turnaround. I was able to stay aero for pretty much the entire lap, didn’t have to brake much, and only got up on the horns towards the end of the short climb. Looking good so far.

Second lap, I wanted to make sure I started my hydration. I brought along one large water bottle of cytomax and I wanted to make sure I finished it by the end of the bike. Course still isn’t too crowded which was good. By the time I was doing the third lap, I had to concentrate to make sure I kept track of which lap I was on. Someone had given me a tip about putting pieces of tape on my handlebars, one for each lap and moving it from one bar to the other each lap, but I forgot to do that. I did see the draft marshall zooming around. I was trying to stay aware of the draft/passing stuff since this was the first race I had been in where this was really going to be enforced (all my other tris were non-USAT and I don’t think they had the manpower to deal with drafting). DW was cheering me one each lap and taking more photos.

By the fourth lap, the course is getting a bit crowded. There was one spot where one of the official photographers was positioned before the turn to go on the stretch uphill. The thing was that since it was before a turn, I was always looking back to see if anyone was coming up on my left before I made the turn. So, I’ll bet that photographer has 6 pictures of me with my head turned away. It’s also interesting with wave starts and loop courses because you’re all travelling on the same course, but with staggered starts, you don’t quite know what lap anyone else is on and how fresh or fatigued they might be relative to yourself.

By the time I hit the sixth lap, I’m relieved. I’m hoping I counted my laps correctly. I’m feeling a bit of fatigue and I’m sure my time slowed a bit on this last lap. By this point, some of the women were out on the course.
Transition 2
  • 01m 9s
Comments:

After the dismount, had to run the 100 ft or whatever to the transition area. This went quickly and without incident.

Run
  • 46m 9s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

Legs had a bit of tightness as expected, but my right shin was really tight and would only gradually loosen up over the first 4 miles. I felt a bit sluggish, but I kept up a good cadence. I started passing a few people, which felt good and in turn was passed by several people. Close to the halfway point of the first (of two) laps, I saw a guy from the Golden Gate tri club stretching walking stretching. He started running again just as I passed. We chatted a bit (since I was also a new member of the GGTC, but don’t yet have any of their clothing) and ran together for awhile. The GGTC was the host club for this race so there were a lot of GGTC volunteers who really cheered on their members. Once his cramp felt better/he ignored the pain, he took off a bit ahead of me.

I finished up the first lap and with only 5K to go in the race, I was feeling pretty good emotionally since the end was coming near and I knew I could handle the run even as fatigued as I was. I started to pick up the pace just a little bit. My shin finally felt loose enough and I started passing more and people. By the time I hit the turnaround, I caught up to and passed the GGTC guy I talked to before. I had a strong “I can do this!” feeling at this point. I picked up the pace just a little bit more and finally hit the home stretch. DW is cheering me on and I give it everything I have and finish strongly.

Post race
Warm down:

Final Results
Final time – 2:37:24 (159/650 OA, 22/65 AG, 130/397 Sex)
Swim – 0:29:40 (0:19:46/km, Rank 194)
T1 - 0:02:45
Bike - 1:17:41 (19.1mph, Rank 185)
T2 - 0:01:09
Run - 0:46:09 (0:07:26 min/mi, Rank 197)

Overall, I was pretty happy with my performance. It was my first Oly and the final tri of my season. I was hoping for a 2:40, would have been happier with a 2:35, and ecstatic with a 2:30, but then again, it was my first Oly so I really didn’t know what to expect. I thought I should have been faster on the swim, I thought I was getting smoked on the bike, and thought I did well on the run. It’s weird because based on the rankings, I did best (relative to others that is) on the bike, followed by the swim, and weakest on the run! In reality, the rankings were all close enough in each discipline that I think it says that I’m pretty well rounded and fairly even in each discipline. Regardless, the run was a 10K PR for me by at least 4 or 5 minutes since the only other 10Ks I have run were early in the season this year (one of which was a trail run).

Cool down
2 cups of water at the finish. Ate a perfect zone bar. Stretched. Walked around a bit. Went to the bathroom. Stretched some more.

Post Race
DW and I went to dim sum at Yank Sing back in the city. Yum! I’m sure I looked a bit funny though there in the restaurant with my hands and shoulders marked up with my race number.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2006-09-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:40 | 1640 yards | 01m 49s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/65
Overall: 194/650
Performance:
Suit: blue seventy helix
Course: The swim takes place in a cove between Treasure Island and Yerba Buena Island, so there is little chop or current. The course was arranged in a an equilateral triangle with 250m legs.
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 60F / 16C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:45
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:17:41 | 24.85 miles | 19.19 mile/hr
Overall: 185/650
Performance:
Wind:
Course: The bike course was a very technical course with about 20 turns per lap (with 6 laps) including one U turn at the top of the only stretch of the course that had any grade to it. My understanding is that in years past, the course went under the bridge towards Yerba Buena Island, so presumably this would have been a longer (and hillier) course, but I assume with fewer laps. I have no idea if this meant the course was any slower or faster than in previous years. The road condition had many bumpy/rough spots and some potholes which were called out by red spray paint.
Road: Rough  Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:09
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:46:09 | 06.21 miles | 07m 26s  min/mile
Overall: 197/650
Performance:
Course: The run was a very flat out and back course.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2006-11-05 12:27 PM

User image

Master
San Francisco
Subject: Treasure Island Triathlon - Olympic Distance

2006-11-05 5:37 PM
in reply to: #589469

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2006-11-05 7:20 PM

Master
Clifton, NJ
Subject: RE: Treasure Island Triathlon - Olympic Distance
awesome job - way to PR on the 10K! great pics, thanks for sharing... there's an oly distance in my future (before I'm 40) so i'm trying to glean experience from everyone's RR's...
-mary
2006-11-05 7:27 PM

Elite
West Chicago, IL
Great race! If those are the pics that DW took ... she did a GREAT job! WOW! Excellent effort and RR!
2006-11-06 9:08 AM

Master
San Francisco
Thanks everyone. I too enjoy reading other race reports to learn and so I like to post my experiences with races too.

Yes, DW took those pictures. She's been very supportive in attending all my races, taking pictures and patiently waiting in between. And on top of all that, I get great personalized race photos
2006-11-06 11:39 AM

Pro
NorCal
Congrats! wow you are FAST!! I did this race too, just posted my RR. Abbie

2006-11-06 11:41 AM

Master
San Mateo, CA

Nicely done!  I like your race photos, too.

2007-07-25 3:27 PM

Extreme Veteran
Budapest, Pest Megye
Are you doing this race in 07? I just signed up. I think I'm gonna use the tape thing to remember how many laps I did. I kinda sucks that you have to do several laps on the same course but oh well!
2007-07-30 4:45 PM
in reply to: #901289

Master
San Francisco

goran007 - 2007-07-25 1:27 PM Are you doing this race in 07? I just signed up. I think I'm gonna use the tape thing to remember how many laps I did. I kinda sucks that you have to do several laps on the same course but oh well!

Good luck to you in November!  I haven't fully decided yet.  It's tentatively on my calendar.  I don't really like the bike course.  All those turns and laps...not really a fun bike course.  But, there aren't any other races at that time of year and it's convenient to get to for us in the bay area.

Edited by enginerd 2007-07-30 4:48 PM
2007-07-30 8:27 PM

Extreme Veteran
Budapest, Pest Megye
What's the Mount Diablo challenge? I used to run there but I kinda hurt my calf so I'm trying to take it easy on the trail running. I say that and I went running at the Lafayette Reservoir (top rim) yest... How long is the run at Mt Diablo?
2007-07-30 10:08 PM
in reply to: #907524

Master
San Francisco

goran007 - 2007-07-30 6:27 PM What's the Mount Diablo challenge? I used to run there but I kinda hurt my calf so I'm trying to take it easy on the trail running. I say that and I went running at the Lafayette Reservoir (top rim) yest... How long is the run at Mt Diablo?

Actually, the Mt. Diablo Challenge is a bike ride.  10.8 miles, 3249' elevation gain.  My work is sponsoring so I'm in!

Otherwise, I enjoy trail running too.  I see you've done some of the envirosports stuff too.  You're freakin' fast!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Treasure Island Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed