sprunning
50F / 10C
Sunny
Total Time = 22m 47s
Overall Rank = 21/120
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 2/
Pre-race routine:

Normal sunday morning.. kids, coffee, newspaper.
Event warmup:

Jogged around parking lot, stretched
Run
  • 22m 47s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

This is only my third 5K, and I don't plan on tri-ing until next summer, but I was so excited that I had to do a Race Report to crow a bit. I got a medal for coming in first in my age group!

Now, granted, there were less than ten men in may age group, and I only "won" because the overall winner of the race was also in my age group.

Still, I was very pleased. My first 5K was 25:13, my second was 24:00 on brutal hills, so I knew I could probably aim for less than 24.

I started off too hard and had a bit of a lull the second mile. At this point another runner caught up with me. We passed each other back and forth for the rest of the course. I kept wanting to ask him how old he was to see if he was AG competition or not. I thought I had him after the 3 mile mark, but he sprinted past me and beat my by one second.

I decided to wait for the awards, just to see if the other guy was in my age group, and to know if I missed placing by one second.

I was shocked when they called my name. Like I said, the overall winner was 39, so technically I was second in my age group. The guy who came in third in the AG ran in a humongous fish costume. My race-course nemesis was in the 30-35 group, so I got the benefit of age on that one.

What would you do differently?:

I am still so new to this. I need to think about pacing, especially because I do aspire to longer distances, and of course, working the run into the whole swim-bike equation.
Post race
Warm down:

Water, banana, decadent chocolate-caramel thing from IHOP, one of the sponsors. More water. Walked, stretched. Bragged to wife and kids.

Event comments:

I love reading the race reports on BT. They have provided so much inspiration... from the IM competitors to the first time sprinters, I get a lot out of reading your experieences.
I have started a true journey here.

Today's race made me feel really good about how I am progressing on that journey.

Last updated: 2006-11-05 12:00 AM
Running
00:22:47 | 03.11 miles | 07m 20s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/120
Performance: Good
Course: Gently rolling, paved drive through Cincinnati's historic Spring Grove Cemetary and Arboretum.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-11-05 9:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cincinnati
Subject: Carp Diem 5K

2006-11-06 10:51 AM
in reply to: #589701

User image

Master
Clifton, NJ
Subject: RE: Carp Diem
had to look at your rr because i was just on a tv show (taped) called the same name "carpe diem"... anyway - i'm not that self absorbed to not mention that its a great accomplishment to get "hardware" at a race - congrats!
i have a 5k coming up in less than 2 weeks - did a tri in sept (my first) and scheduled the 5k just to stay motivated.
great job!
keep up the good work!
-mary
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Carp Diem 5K Rss Feed