The Optimist Club of Englewood
64F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 39m 32s
Overall Rank = 109/117
Age Group = Clydes 1-39
Age Group Rank = 6/6
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:00am and drove one and a half hour to Boca Grande. I had a hard time finding the community center to pickup the packet and get marked. Once I found the center, got my stuff and went to set up and rack the bike. I got an end spot and I had plenty of time to chat with other racers. It was a small area - small race. I drank a lot of fluid on the way to the race but did not eat anything pre-race.
Event warmup:

It was rather chilly - windy on the gulf and 60-64 degrees. I put some glide on my arms and stretched my legs.
Swim
  • 09m 57s
  • 440 yards
  • 02m 16s / 100 yards
Comments:

Very nice swim despite the wind. The water had little current and little chop. It was a really nice swim in the gulf. I sighted well, and stood up at the right time.
What would you do differently?:

Go faster. I had too much steam left at the end of the swim. I took it easy because i thought i would need some extra at the end because it was the gulf.
Transition 1
  • 02m 58s
Comments:

I decided not to put my socks on in T1 rather i woudl do it in T2. six or one half dozen to me, but i paid in T2.

Put socks on in T1
Bike
  • 43m 11s
  • 13 miles
  • 18.06 mile/hr
Comments:

I felt good out of T1 so I wen for it on the bike knowing that i ws going to be passed on the run. I had a good bike. I had been training recently into headwinds so I was prepared for them and kept a decent pace on the bike. I did as well as i could on the bike for where i am in my training routine.

Go faster
Transition 2
  • 03m 15s
Comments:

I had a really slow T2...I had to clean the feet and put my socks on. I was just slow - i have no other reason for it. Some of the peoiple i passed on the bike were coming in and out of T2 while i sat there putting on my shoes like a preschooler. I dismounted with the cleats on then tried to hustle into the T2 with my fat cleats on.

Put on my socks in T1 and have the quick locking laces. Practice taking off my shoes before transition and come in barefoot
Run
  • 40m 13s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 12m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

I knew i would not have enough in the tank to run. So i did well for an average. That is as good as i can do given my training. I did have some extra gas in the tank at the end so i could have pushed the end of the race a little harder - it may have meant one or two minutes.

Push a ittle harder - go faster. I would try to jog then shuffle instead of jog then walk. More training needed
Post race
Warm down:

Stretched and had some water and a banana.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My training. I have just started, but i could not be happier with my performance today. I felt great the whole race, and i did as well as i could with the training i have done. Onward and upward

Event comments:

I will definitely do this race nex year. It was a small, competitive race - but a really nice course.

Last updated: 2006-10-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:57 | 440 yards | 02m 16s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/6
Overall: 0/117
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Straight out and back
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:58
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:43:11 | 13 miles | 18.06 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/6
Performance: Good
I kept the HR 148-156 the whole ride.
Wind: Cross-winds with gusts
Course: A nice course - flat, but a windy day. The winds were mostly cross winds but sometimes head and tail depending upon direction. Well run and well marked course. It wa sopen to local traffic but the cars were inconsequential.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 03:15
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:40:13 | 03.11 miles | 12m 56s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/6
Performance: Below average
Course: A nice flat 5k. No surprises. Much of the run was on a run path isolated form any cars or traffic. Very nice views.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-11-05 9:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Estero, FL
Subject: 7th Annualy Boca Bop Triathlon

2006-11-06 7:51 AM
in reply to: #589711

User image

Elite
Venture Industries,
Subject: RE: 7th Annualy Boca Bop Triathlon
Nice job, Big O. You had a pretty good cadence going on the bike when I saw you. You also seemed in pretty good shape leaving T2.

You're right this is a nice little race. I've raced it once and this was my first year volunteering. Congrats, on a good race.

I got a pretty good picture of you coming out of T2, once I figure how to download it and e-mail it to you I'll do so.
2006-11-10 4:07 PM
in reply to: #589711

User image

Veteran
Estero, FL
Subject: RE: 7th Annualy Boca Bop Triathlon
Awesome.
It was great meeting you, and I really appreciate the volunteering and the support. Keep up the training and both of us will be racing at the next one!

Thanks again John
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 7th Annualy Boca Bop Triathlon Rss Feed