USM Events
25C / 77F
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 53m 43s
Overall Rank = 1872/2416
Age Group = 25 - 29
Age Group Rank = 77/109
Pre-race routine:

Flew to Brisbane and caught a coach up to noosa a few days before the race and soaked up the atmosphere. Its an awesome experience, so many events before the big race. A criterium, which was brilliant, we had a fantastic spot to watch it and were so close to the riders at the start. So close in fact I could have reached over and pushed Robbie McEwen, Alan Davies and Henk Vogels off their bikes very easily.
Anyway back to the race routine stuff. We registered for the race on the Friday and got a great race kit, unfortunately it was in a race bag with very thin rope straps I walked around all day with this bag on and damaged my shoulder pretty badly.

I woke up on Sat morn before the race in a fair amount of pain. I managed a good swim without any pain but the ride was seriously painful. started to get stressed out about it. we were swimming and riding from the race start area and there were people setting up for massages so booked in for a 30min massage to try and sort the shoulder out. Iced it up and had another massage from one of the guys we were staying with that evening. it loosened up a bit but was still painful.
Event warmup:

Woke up nice and early and had breakfast, we walked down to the race start from our accomodation. nice 1k warm up walk. the atmosphere was absolutely amazing, I can not describe how great it feels being around 3000 other triathletes in the transition area and body marking area.
Set my gear up as small as I possibly could. I was a little worried about it getting knocked all over teh place with the bikes crammed in so close.
Set my stuff up made sure I could find my bike amongst the other 3000 bikes. found the rest of my friends and we went to the waters edge to mill around with all the other people. did a bit of a stretch and then waited for an hour for my wave to start.
Swim
  • 26m 45s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 47s / 100 meters
Comments:

I was feeling quite calm when I jumped in the water and did a few warm up strokes to swim out to the start line. My shoulder seemed to have eased up abit so was thinking I would be fine.
my wave started about an hour after the first wave started I think my wave was one of hte middle waves.
As soon as the gun sounded everyone took off. It was a pretty violent start to a swim worse then the Half Ironman but there was less people. I got bashed around a bit and copped a fair whack to my shoulder, which really didn't help matters. so I struggled a bit with the swim. I managed to get a bit of rhythm going and found a bit of clear water until we caught up with the wave in front and had to pass people got a bit clogged up again then. But I survived.
the swim seemed to go on forever, apparantly the elites all came in about 2mins slower then last year so there is a possibility the swim was a little long. it certainly felt long but that could be because my shoulder was hurting.
What would you do differently?:

Swim faster, do more training, don't dislocate your shoulder. I was pretty disappointed with the time but was aware I wasn't going to be breaking any records in this race.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

I really was disappointed that it was a wetsuit swim, because it was warm water, soo close to being a non wettie swim. anyway I had to rip off the wettie in transition being very careful not to hurt the shoulder. got it off fine chucked it in the dirt whacked on the nice new helmet (yay the Noosa Expo is fantastic cheap great gear) and off I went.

Not have a chat to the girl opposite me. I managed to find out she was from the US first time she'd ever swum in salt water she didn't like salt water. she had only swum in lakes. Ok so that would probably indicate I should concentrate a little more on the task at hand instead of chatting while I"m putting on shoes etc.
Bike
  • 1h 24m 15s
  • 40 kms
  • 28.49 km/hr
Comments:

the bike time includes the transition time. I actually averaged 31k's which is a pb for me. my shoulder gave me alot of trouble as soon as I was on the bike it was just painful and my neck and back seized up as a result. but I managed and was doing ok. people were passing me but I was also passing people. Apart form the shoulder I felt ok. The roads in Noosa are just brilliant for a race nice smooth hotmix! climbed up the big hill ok, wasn't going overly fast but was comfortable with the pace. As soon as I wasx up the hill I picked up the pace as much as I could. Turned at the halfway point and was so amazed to find a headwind. luckily being a perth girl headwinds are a part of life so it didn't make too much difference.

unfortunately I dropped my chain on a very flat part of the course, didn't change gears didn't do anyrthing the chain just dropped off. so had to stop and whack it back on again and get going again, was thinking don't panic she'll be right mate.

then came the best part of the course the massive big downhill! Wow I flew down that hill. we had checked out the course before the race and ridden the hill. I felt really confident and just opened it up and flew down the hill. I was looking at the speedo going up and up and up, it was at 65k's and I was feeling really safe no wobbles so just got down in the aero position and hammered flew!! I managed to get up to 77ks!!
Used the momentum from the hill to get a fair way back to the finish.

Again more training, no dislocated shoulder and my new bike.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

ran back into transition again had a chat with the girl opposite while I was racking my bike and chucking on my sneakers. and off I went

Not much apart was ok time wise.
Run
  • 1h 02m 42s
  • 10 kms
  • 06m 16s  min/km
Comments:

the run was hard work, it was fairly hot by this stage and my shoulder neck and back had had it. I stupidly grabbed a cup of endura right at the start of the run, that stuff is vile and I felt it repeating on me the entire run.

I know I'm a slow runner so just settled in to plod on to the finish line and enjoy it as much as possible. again the atmosphere made it alot of fun, soo many people raciing and supporting and so many awesome people who live in Noosa out the front of their houses with hoses spraying people to cool us down. that was fantastic.
although the run was slow I managed it, the last 2k's seemd to take forever. coming down the road to the finish line was an amazing experience a big grand stand of people with so much cheering and support. I got a big mention from the announcer which was pretty cool. You cross the finish line and they have showers set up over a bridge which everyone walks through that cool water was absolutely brilliant.

don't try different nutrition for the first time on a race. more run training!
Post race
Warm down:

Stood under the showers on the bridge for a bit, grabbed a cup of water and the best watermelon I have ever had in my life. it was soo cool and juicy! then headed down to the canal and threw myself in the water.

Later on when I was heading out of transition with the bike Paul Pzdipr recognised me and came over to say hello! so I got to meet my very first Bter in person that was great! It was great to meet you Paul well done on a fantastic race!! hopefully I'll be back up there next year.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training, shoulder injury, lack of speed :)

Event comments:

although I was slow and injured, it was one of the best races I have ever done, it was fun from start to finish (which when you are in pain really says alot about the race) the organisation was great, the volunteers were great and the people standing out side their houses with hoses were brilliant!

Had a great time and even more importantly the after party was fantastic! Even danced with a few AFL players at the nightclub.

Last updated: 2006-07-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:26:45 | 1500 meters | 01m 47s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/109
Overall: 0/2416
Performance: Average
Suit: sleeveless wetsuit
Course: Funny shape to describe, Swim was in a canal we went round an island. headed up for a little up and back at one end of the canal and then back down to the start line.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 24C / 75F Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:24:15 | 40 kms | 28.49 km/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Headwind
Course: Out and back course with a massive hill in the middle
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:02:42 | 10 kms | 06m 16s  min/km
Course: Out and back course
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-11-07 7:36 PM

User image

Veteran
Perth, Oz
Subject: Noosa Triathlon

2006-11-07 8:44 PM
in reply to: #592235

User image

Extreme Veteran
Melbourne
Subject: RE: Noosa Triathlon
Awesome race Mel.
So glad you were able to enjoy it even with injury. It's still an enviable time.
Sounds like a fabulous atmosphere...

2006-11-07 10:14 PM

User image

Expert
Herndon VA

Hey Mel,

Congratulations on a great race.  I know that you were nervous about the shoulder and the lack of training but you had a fast race.  I would kill for your swim time, you're definitely a swim goddess.   It's amazing how many people that you meet while in transition.   It sounds like you had the triathlete's dream vacation, beautiful location, great race and cool after party.

Ernie 

2006-11-08 12:24 AM

User image

Veteran
Brisbane

I loved your report as it bought back cool memories from the race for me, the washing machine swim, cycling flat out down "the hill", all the people who were out supporting us and of course meeting the famous Mel from Perth.

The Noosa is a fantastic and fun event and I'm glad you have a great time!!

PS I hear they're thinking about cancelling the AFL Legends Tri next year........still interested in coming back next year??

2006-11-08 9:11 PM

User image

Veteran
Perth, Oz

I forgot to mention the drafting on the bike leg.  on the return leg there were just packs of bikes everywhere,  I tried my best not to draft but it was impossible,  you sped up and you were on the back of pack slowed down and were caught in a pack.

So I decided to just make the most of it and go for it.  I have never seen so many bikes on a course it was literally impossible not to draft in some places.

2006-11-08 9:13 PM
in reply to: #592428

User image

Veteran
Perth, Oz
pzdipr - 2006-11-08 1:24 PM

I loved your report as it bought back cool memories from the race for me, the washing machine swim, cycling flat out down "the hill", all the people who were out supporting us and of course meeting the famous Mel from Perth.

The Noosa is a fantastic and fun event and I'm glad you have a great time!!

PS I hear they're thinking about cancelling the AFL Legends Tri next year........still interested in coming back next year??

WHAT!!!! No AFL Legeds tri,  well thats it I think I'll have to try Moollooba (or however you spell it) instead.   that was indeed a highlight of my week over there, who else woud i get to dance with in the night club afterwards then.

was great to meet you over there too!  I would def like to come back again next year and have a second go at that great big hill on my new bike hopefully with a better shoulder!

2006-11-08 11:58 PM

User image

Champion
Sydney

woo hoo you go girl! Amazing considering the shoulder trouble I love Noosa (the place) and I can just picture that hill!!!!

2006-11-09 2:58 AM

User image

NSW - Australia

It was great to finally get to read your race report. Sounds like such an awesome atmosphere.

Tough effort with the should/neck issue. Hopefully it sorts it's self out soon for you.

great race report for a great race.... well done

2006-11-13 11:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sydney
Great work, and welcome to the "Noosa sucked for me this year but I still had a rocking weekend club"!

PS - I just ordered a couple of those Gel-Bot things to try out! Thanks for that.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Noosa Triathlon Rss Feed