WTC
42F / 6C
Sunny
Total Time = 12h 24m 49s
Overall Rank = 955/2192
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 220/409
Pre-race routine:

Drove down to PCB on Wednesday morning and rolled in to town at around 3:30. Stopped in Atlanta and bought myself a pre-race present(http://www.ibanez.com/guitars/guitar.asp?model=AFS75T). What an awesome guitar! But I digress. I checked into the hotel and carried all of my crap up to the room. Yes, it was the crappy BBR hotel, but the room was located on the second floor, facing the gulf and directly in front of the swim start. Perfect!

Got the wetsuit out and went for a little lossen-up swim, maybe 1000 meters or so and then off to Wal-Mart to stock up for the week. On the way, some knucklehead was honking at me at a red light even though it was still red and there were cars in front of me, so..wtf? Turns out it was Janelle and Sandee who were headed to dinner. I joined them (Dirty Dick's--gotta love PCB), and then went to Wal Mart where I discovered, as I was checking out that I didn't have my credit card. I left it at the restaurant and they still had it, so whew. Back to the room, unpacked and hit the sack.

I was up early on day 2...BT swim! Woohoo! It was cool seeing everyone, but I was crazy disappointed that the Borat thong I ordered off of E-Bay didn't arrive before I left. So no Borat appearnace at the swim. Dang. Swam a loop of the swim course then stood around and chatted for a while. Good times. Headed back to Wal Mart after swimming to pick up a few things I forgot, and then to register an load up on shwag. Took a nap and then met up with the BTers for the pre-race event dinner. Looong, but some good speakers in between the shameless commercials (does anyone really buy a freaking IM Ford Explorere? Yeah, I'm sure some people do). Oh...and Michael Lovato is one funny mofo. After dinner, watched some TV and hit it.

Friday: one day to go. Up until now, I had absolutely no pre-race jitters. BUt I was starting to get them in little waves. Not too abd though. Took a llittle ride about 8am out on the run course. Mainly I wanted to see exactlyhow cold I would be on the bike on race day. I started off with leg warmers, arm warmers and a very light shell vest. I warmed up pretty quickly and after just a few miles I shed the leg warmers. my hands never got cold, so I decided that would be my race digs. After the ride, I got my transition bags together and then carried them down to transition with my bike to get all settled in. During the trip, I had lost one of the bar plugs on my bullhorns, so I had to replace it. Trouble is, the bar is a lot smaller diameter than normal bars, so the replacement plug I bought had to be forced into the bar end (que forboding music).

After checking the bike in, I really didn't have much to do (esp. since Borat wasn't playing in PCB). So I took a nap, watched some TV, played the geetar and waited for AMy and Nola to arrive. The girls got in to town about 5pm, and then we pretty much headed right out to Dinner at Jess' condo. Dinner was a blast. Nola had fun telling everyone she wanted a diaper. We took lots of pictures and watched a bit of "What it Takes" before saying good night and good luck. Took an Ambien at 8pm and was out 30 minutes later.

RACE DAY! Up right at 4am feeling great. Took a shower and ate two packets of maple brown oatmeal and drank 20oz of Powerade. Walked downstairs to get bodymarked (didn't see Jess who was supposed to be bodymarking, but apparently was still looking for a parking place). I saw lots of smiling faces in the dark, but lots of nervous looks as well. And everyone looked cold (it was ~42 degrees). Didn't need to check any special needs bags, because I don't have a lot of special needs (insert joke), so I headed back up to the room (after pumping up my tires and letting about 40 people borrow my pump--hooray for good race-day Karma!). Hung out as the BTers trickled in (advantage of having perfectly-located room).

It was now about 6:15 so we started suiting up to head down to the start. I remember thinking how calm and serene I was. The task before me had always seemed so insurmountable, but finally, right before it was actually going to happen, I probably realized for the first time that I actually *knew* I could do this. I think a lot of it eminated from the positive vibes and smiling faces from all of the amazing BTers standing around me. I soaked it up, and it was awesome.

Down to the beac for the start....
Event warmup:

None. Warm-up for an IM? That's what the swim is for!
Swim
  • 1h 01m 1s
  • 4156 yards
  • 01m 28s / 100 yards
Comments:

Well, the first lap was great but I'm not sure what happened after that. I had a good run and after some dolphin diving I was at the fron, so there was no jostling, hitting punching or grabbing. After I settled in and drifted back a bit, I found some good feet and just cruised. The first lap was easy. After the first turn the waves were in our face but it wasn't bad and it was only for a couple of minutes. I hit the first timing mat in 28:36 and was really happy. I knew the second lap would be a bit slower with the beach run and because we had to swim on a diagonal out to the first buoy, but I was still looking at a sub :58 swim, which would be fine since I was going super easy.

I grabbed a cup of water from the table between laps and then headed out on the second lap. I had a bit of trouble getting my breathing under control from the HR spike from the run, but after that I was OK. Out to the turn bouy, glanced at my watch and noted that I was a bout a minute slower to this point on the second lap, which made sense because of the run and the diagonal. But after making the turn, I noticed how much choppier it was no than on the first lap. The swells had kicked up to probably 3-4 feet and were directly into me. That 200 meter leg to the next turn was hard. After making the final turn I started noticing the I was swimming off to the right (later I found out that there was a pretty stron east-to-west current running), so I ended up swimming a big arc back to the beach. OUt of the water, I hit the mat at 1:01---wtf? I was a full 4 minutes slower on the second lap, and 3 minutes slower on the last leg. It must have been the current, because I felt strong the whole swim. Oh well. No biggie. I was disappointed not to swim under an hour, though.
What would you do differently?:

Swim straighter. Not forget Body Glide.
Transition 1
  • 09m 59s
Comments:

T1 was slow. Because it was so cold, I wanted to change into dry stuff so I wouldn't be rifing in 45 degree weather soaking wet. But damn it's hard putting on shorts, a jersey and arm warmers on not completely dry skin. Got out of the tent and it actually felt warm, so I immediately shed the vest I was wearing. Glad I opted against the leg warmers.

I was never cold on the bike, so I wished I had just warn my tri top and shorts under the wetsuit. It would have saved a lot of frustration and time in transition, but I was really afraid of being cold all day long. Maybe it was a good decision, because I was comfortable on the bike.
Bike
  • 6h 19m 16s
  • 112 miles
  • 17.72 mile/hr
Comments:

The first 6 miles to the turn were good. We had a tailwind and I was cruising super easy at about 21mph. Soooooper easy. Started thinking a bit about the long day ahead, but tried to keep those thoughts away and focus on immediate needs. Started drinking. After the right turn at 6 miles we were into a pretty strong head/crosswind and I noticed my speed dropped waaaaay off. I was struggling to go about 14mph. It wasn't a direct headwind, so it didn't make any sense that I was going so slow. I was working really hard, but I could not get my speed up, and people were flying past me (after I had only gotten passed twice in the first 6 miles, while passing ~10). I ate a gel, thinking maybe I was just flat. Didn't help. I started getting really discouraged that I was working that hard to go that slow, but I just sort of accepted that it was what it was, and put my head down and rode. At around the 23 mile point or so, we made a right turn to start what would be the most difficult part of the day--27 miles directly into a 15mph headwind with no breaks. I was feeling horrible, working hard and going slow and getting really down. At 25 miles I stopped to pee, got back on quickly and continued grinding it out. Ten miles later, the wind let up a bit and I could hear a grinding coming from the back of my bike. Great. I thought I had a flat so I stopped and checked the rear wheel.

I absolutely could not believe it. The tire was fine, but the brake pads were closed against the rim. The wheel wouldn't spin even a little.

So...remember that bar plug? It turns out that since it was so large it impinged on the brake lever so that when you squeeze the lever it didn't fully release. So when I made the right turn at 6 miles, after that, I had ridden 29 miles in the wind with my rear brake applied. So I opened the release on the caliper and forced open the brake lever which allowed the wheel to spin freely. Back on the bike, I was at once relieved but then really pissed that I had wasted so much energy and lost so much time. I fugure later that my speed was about 4mph slower than it was after I fixed the problem, and over 29 miles that equates to a time loss of about 28 minutes. But the problem was solved and my speed into the wind was up to 18+mph. Better, but I was reallly worried that all the extra energy I expended would come back to haunt me later.

After around 50 miles, we made a right turn and for the first time in hours had a tailwind. My speed was up to 24mph and I was flying. I went through halfway in 3:24 for right above a 16mph average. Pathetic due to the mechanical issue, but my average was coming up. I started getting some pretty severe pain in my neck, probably from being so tense in the first half of the bike. I concentrated on relaxing, but it made it very hard to ride in aero because it hurt so much to flex my neck. I was in a pretty bad car accident about 12 years ago which left me with some nice osteoarthritis due to a couple of compressed cervical vertebrae, and any strain on my neck causes pretty severe muscle pain.

So I started riding more and more out of aero. But other than that, the rest of the bike was pretty uneventful. I did try to eat and drink pretty much everything I could get my hands on due to working so hard so early. As a result, I stopped to pee a total of six times. And get this: literally two miles from transition, a girl 10 yards in front of me apprently grabbed her front brake hard for some reason and went over the bars. She hit the ground hard, but she had volunteers on her immediately. I hope she's all right.

Rolled into T2 looking everywhere for Amy and Nola, but I didn't see them.I got a little teary knowing I had made it through the hard part, and that I just had a little run left. I was really, really happy.

My second half was 29 minutes faster than my first half (2:55).

Have the right bar plug. Not ride 30 miles into the wind with my brake on. Not drink so much that I had to pee 6 times. Between all the peeing and the mecahnical, I figure I lost about 39 minutes on the bike. Annoying, but I had made it through.

Bike epilogiue: I couldn't believe the packs of drafters. Sure I had heard about it, but I guess you really don't believe it until you see it. How does an official on a bike tell 100 people in a pack to break it up? How does he call penalties on people in the middle of it? I was seriously tempted to latch onto one of them, esp. since they started passing me right after I fixed the brake issue. It was so tempting to sit in, recover and make up some time. But I'm glad I didn't. Those people aren't Ironmen. But I am.
Transition 2
  • 09m 17s
Comments:

OK transition, but slow. I grabbed my T2 bag, ran to the tent and found a chair. Sat down and grabbed the Red Bull I had stashed in the bag and chugged it down. It was soooo good. Got changed into my running stuff, though on the bucket hat and headed out looking for sunscreen. This is funny. I didn't notice Jess at all--ran right past her and heard her yell "JIIIIM!!!". Turned around and smiled my first really big smile of the day. I was so happy to see a friendly face. She gave me a ginormous hug, asked me how I was doing (great), told me how I looked (great), and I asked her if she would please sunscreen me up, whcich she did. Interesting note: I didn't put any sunscreen on up to that point, but didn't burn a bit. Lucky.

Not much. Maybe not miss Jess the first time.
Run
  • 4h 45m 18s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 10m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

I was so happy to be running. So happy. Out of T2 I was again looking everywhere for Amy and Nola, but again I didn't see them. It's funny, cause when I finally did see them right before the end of the first loop, the said I went right by them both at the end of the bike and the start of the run, and they shouted my name, but I never saw them. But, they have photographic proof so I guess I'll believe them.

I felt pretty good starting the run. My plan was to run 9 minutes and walk one (basically walking the aid stations). I probably could have run the whole thing, but I wanted to be conservative (there's a first), because I was deathly afraid of the wheels falling off at any second.

The first few miles clicked off easily. It was really nice being able to have conversations. The bike was sooo lonely, but now I could interact with other racers and it was awesome.

Close to the park on the first loop, I started really looking forward to seeing Amy and Nola since I hadn't seen them all day. ANd for the first time, I was really glad it was a two loop course. I started thinking "7 miles to the girls...6 miles to the girls...5 miles to the girls..." It really made the time fly. I was crusing along pretty easily through the park and giving all of the TNTers out on the course the "Go Team." I was regretting a bit that I wasn't sporting my TNT jersey (I did wear it on the bike), but at the same time I was really glad to fly the BT colors. Oh...and I gotta say, the bucket hat was a hit. It was really just an afterthought to wear it, cause I thought it would keep me a little warm when it started getting cold on the second lap. But man, I can't tell you how many "great hat" comments I got. There was one group of guys buy a van with a ton of beer who kept calling me bucket head. Every subsequent time I passed them they would shout "hey...here comes Bucket Head! Woohoo! Go Bucket Head." It sounds cheesy, but it was great. Everytime I got one of those little comments, I got a little jolt. And it must only be a fraction of the good vibes Aaron gets with his flag. I used to think his flag must really slow him down, and to think he could go so much faster without it. But now I know he must get an incredible boost from carrying it. Very cool.

But anyway...the return trip on the first lap was great. I saw Aaron and Debbie and Janelle and Sue and Tommy caught me and we ran and talked for a while, and Jess was on her bike, and Chris was at the corner, and Renee and Trigods and others were on Thomas Drive, and I saw (and stopped and talked to) a bunch of Atlanta TNTers I had mnet at Gulf Coast. It was great, and I was soaking it up.

And finally...the highlight of the day...right before the end of lap one, there were Amy and Nola! I shouted my lungs out at Nola, who ran up to me and gave me a big ol' hug and likewise to Amy. I was so unbelievably happy to see them, I had to choke back the tears. It was amazing finally seeing them. We chatted for probably 5 minutes and laughed and smiled. Amy gave me my phone so I could have it on the second lap to make sure I found them before the finish (so Nola could run across with me). And I was off. Made the turn for the second lap in 2:15, slower than I had hoped (I wanted to run 4:00), but it was OK since I was being so conservative.

Starting the second lap, it started getting dark and cold--really cold. Running by the special needs bags, I was really wishing I had packed one with something with long sleeves. And I also started doing some calculations. I knew that even if I walked the last 10 miles, I'd finish in under 13 hours. And that sounded good. So I decided to go from my 9/1 plan to 8/2, just to make sure I didn't lose it. Because I was still afraid of turning into Julie Moss somewhere out on the course. At around 15.5 miles, I saw Jess and Chris and asked them if they had anything with long sleeves, cause I was freezing. Without even thinking about it, Chris took off his jacket and handed it to me. He really saved my life, and I owe him big time. He's really a hell of a guy. I put the jacket on and it was heaven. I only wore it for a mile, but it really warmed me up and I felt great.

It was good and dark now, and in those last 10 miles I started thinking about how I had gotten here, and the IM lore I had always heard. Like, I had always heard that the IM marathon was the easiest marathon you'd ever run. I never believed it, because I've run a bunch, some faster and some slower. And no matter how fast of slow they always hurt like nobody's business. So how could a marathon run *after* racing for 7 hours already possibly be easier? But it turns out that IM marathons really are easier. The miles fly by, you're so happy to be off the bike. It's weird, but it wasn't hard at all. And I was finding that it really didn't hurt any more to run than it did to walk. So As I got within 10k of the finish, I started running more. It hurt, but it was a very bearable hurt. Six miles until I'm and Ironman. Five miles until I'm an Ironamn. Four miles. Three miles. I can see the lights at the finish. Two miles. There's Chris again! I handed him back his jacket with a million thanks. One mile to go. I can hear the finish. There are the TNTers! So many high fives. Turn and I can see it. Still a half mile to go, but so close. I make the turn heading up to the parking deck and there are thousands of people. I can see the Jumbotron, One last turn and the finish is 100 yards ahead. And there are Amy and Nola! I hug Amy and grab Nola's hand and we sprint...I can barely keep up with her. We break the tape, and it's so quiet. All I can hear is my little girl laughing and she says "you did it, Daddy!" And I smiled and picked her up and gave her a big sweaty hug and tell her "we did it, baby." And then the noise flooded back in. I have no idea if Mike Reilly said my name or not, but it didn't matter, cause Nola did.

Nothing. It was perfect.
Post race
Warm down:

Got my medal and the photographers were there. I wrestled Amy through the barricade so we could all get a picture together. Got my finisher's bag and Amy bought me a beer. Mmmmmm....beer.

We walked through the condos, back to the room and I took a great shower and bath. Went and got some dinner. I felt awesome, but didn't really feel like eating much of anything (I wouldn't get my appetite back for about 24 hours). Picked up my bike and gear and went to bed. I really wanted to go back out on the course, but my legs weren't having anything of it.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

In retrospect, I probably didn't train enough. Strike that. I know I didn't train enough. Sure, I did all of the long stuff, but I definitely slacked on the mid-week stuff. I have excuses, but I'll save them I'll just say that training for IM is definitley harder than racing IM.

The first third of the bike definitely hurt me, both in time and energy lost. I know I ran slower because of the problem, but whatever. I'm an Ironman!

Event comments:

I just want to say thanks to everyone. To Amy and Nola for putting up with the training with smiles. And to all my BT friends. This really wouldn't be the same without all of you. I'm truly humbled to be a part of all of this.

And thanks for reading.

Last updated: 2006-01-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:01:01 | 4156 yards | 01m 28s / 100yards
Age Group: 23/409
Overall: 130/2192
Performance: Below average
1st lap: 28:39 2nd lap: 32:22 Looking at the split results, nearly everyone was significantly slower onthe second lap.
Suit: Sleeveless Orca.
Course: Two big rectangles. 900 meters straight out, left turn for 200 meters, left turn back to the beach.
Start type: Run Plus: Shot
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: High
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 09:59
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
06:19:16 | 112 miles | 17.72 mile/hr
Age Group: 270/409
Overall: 1235/2192
Performance: Bad
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: 6 miles out, and then a big ol' honking rectangle. A few rolling hills on the backside of the course.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 09:17
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
04:45:18 | 26.2 miles | 10m 53s  min/mile
Age Group: 230/409
Overall: 1061/2192
Performance: Good
1st quarter: 1:03:57 2nd quarter: 1:11:55 (2:15:51 half) 3rd quarter: 1:12:49 4th quarter: 1:16:39 (2:29:27 half)
Course: Double loop, dead flat.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-11-08 2:24 PM
in reply to: #592791

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
Subject: RE: Ironman Florida

Sniff sniff. What a sweet race report! Congratulations Jim!

2006-11-08 2:28 PM

User image

Expert
Wye Mills, MD
Well done!!!
2006-11-08 2:50 PM

User image

Alpharetta, GA
Congratulations on a great race and becoming an Ironman! Really enjoyed reading your report!
2006-11-08 3:33 PM

User image

Master
Athens, Ga.
AWESOME, Jim, AWESOME! And the part in your RR about running the finish with Nola made me tear up.
2006-11-08 3:45 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Great job! Headwind, the only hilly section and having your breaks locked. Yet you still kicked it, Ironman. I totally agreed with you about the run, I never have had an easy marathon and there was no way you could expect to have an easy one after 6 and half hours in the saddle, but Saturday, the run just flowed by and before I knew it it was over and I hadn't struggled a bit. Great job!!!
2006-11-08 4:47 PM

User image

Resident Matriarch
N 43° 32.927 W 071° 24.431

great job Jim.  Congratulations on becoming an Ironman!

2006-11-08 6:54 PM

User image

Expert
Northern VA

Great job and race report!

Congratulations!

Bill

2006-11-08 8:15 PM

Online or Offline
Man, you had a great race even with that stupid brake on!!

It was great meeting you and your family - I'll have to dig up the Watch Me Finish video of you and Nola. She's such a little heartbreaker and must have been so proud of her daddy!

Congratulations Ironman!!

I noticed your bucket hat when we passed on the run in the dark -- I saw somewhere posted....that you also had a peni$ hat????
2006-11-08 8:16 PM

Online or Offline
Oh yeah, and thanks for letting us all congregate in your room before the swim
2006-11-08 9:24 PM

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills
Nicely done. You are indeed an Ironman!
2006-11-08 10:07 PM

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas

Jim,

It was great to meet you.  Congratulations on becoming an Ironman!

TJ

2006-11-09 5:22 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama

Jim,  Well done young man, well done.  And I mean the RR as well as the race.  If you ever have a change of career plans you should consider a career in writing.

Bummer about the brake thing but glad you found and fixed the issue when you did before it totally wore you down.  Did you look at the results and see how much you would have moved up in your AG had you not lost the time on the bike becasue of the brake?

Got all teary eye reading your reply to your little girl. 

I hope I have as good of an experience in Louisville next August as you did in PCB.  Again, good race and good report!

~Mike

2006-11-09 6:43 AM

User image

Crystal Lake, IL

Jim, what an awesome race report.  Great job on the race itself too.  I printed your report and read it at home last night and my wife read it too.  Your emotional finish with comments about Amy and Nola had her in tears.  Not me of course, I was too manly about it.  <sniff>

CONGRATULATIONS IRONMAN!!!

2006-11-09 9:35 AM

User image

Expert
NW Suburbs, Illinois
I can't believe you didn't break 1 hour on that swim....so sad [heavy sarcasm].

To take it easy and swim 2.4 miles in the ocean at that speed is crazy!!!!

And they say during an IM, things are going to happen. Too bad about the brakes, but you still had an awesome bike split.

Great overall race and race report! Having the family there at the end is truly priceless. We did it, says it all!!!!!

AWESOME!
2006-11-09 9:38 AM

User image

Expert
North Carolina
Great race!!! You had some problems but you did not let them ruin your day!! That had to make becoming an Ironman that much more ejoyable. Great job, Ironman!!
2006-11-09 9:50 AM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Dear Lord but you do swim fast! Congratulations on a huge accomplishment and terrific RR as well.

c

2006-11-09 9:58 AM

Extreme Veteran
Cary, NC
Awesome RR Jim aka Buckethead!
2006-11-09 10:49 AM

User image

Got Wahoo?
San Antonio
Wow. I had no idea you were doing an IRONMAN. I'm totally impressed! Great job, Jim!
2006-11-09 11:18 AM

User image

Regular
Hopewell, New Jersey
An excellent race report. Thank you so much for sharing it. And super CONGRATS on becoming an Ironman!
2006-11-09 2:02 PM

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
Amazing job!! Congratulations, Ironman! I can't believe how fast you can swim! Did you seriously swim under people? That's hysterical. Great race and thanks for sharing it with us!
2006-11-09 2:36 PM

User image

Master
South Florida

congrats on the victory!  You are an IM, and a fast one even while braking.  Great RR.

2006-11-09 5:13 PM

User image

Master
Chesapeake, VA
Great race IRONMAN!!!  Also, great race report - you had me in tears at the end with Nola and the finish.  I love the bucket hat idea. 
2006-11-09 6:25 PM

User image

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member

Substance AND Style...the double threat.  Fantastic race, Jim.

2006-11-10 11:46 AM

User image

Champion
Bellingham, Washington

Congrats IRONMAN.   Didn't Lance once ride part of TDF with a stuck brake pad.  You two are so alike.

And good for you having integrity and not latching on to the Draft Pack.

2006-11-10 1:06 PM

User image

Veteran
Dacula, GA
Jim,

Great to meet you in PCB, albeit briefly, and congrats on becoming an Ironman! I had a similar issue with the front brakes on my bike that I didn't catch until mile 52 and was also able to run down the chute with my daughter - priceless!

Hope to catch (figuratively speaking of course since I don't think I could literally) you at another race soon,

JG
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Florida Rss Feed  

of 3