General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Eating Too Few Calories Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-11-09 12:03 AM

Subject: Eating Too Few Calories
Hi All,

I would like to ask some info from you guys.

I teach spinning as a part time job. One of my clients, a middle aged lady, is eating very little and exercising heaps, is plump, and is not losing weight (i believe her about her eating very little). She is convinced that she should eat even less and exercise more. I introduced her today to the idea that maybe she needs to eat more and get her body out of starvation mode before she would start losing weight or responding to all the exercise that she does.

Have been searching on the internet but so far no luck in finding literature supporting the need to eat enough in order to lose weight. Everything just talks about cutting back calories...

I am convinced. I personally am now eating more than I ever have and feeling ok about it and energy levels and training is better, and not gaining weight.

But I would like to find some literature to show her. To back up what I am saying.

Does anyone know of any relevant literature? Thanks so much..

Sally

2006-11-09 4:21 AM
in reply to: #593881

User image

Regular
Warsaw, Poland
Subject: RE: Eating Too Few Calories
I think similar to you - she got into starvation mode. I can suggest several ways on how to speed up her metabolism:

1. Drink cold water, about 4 - 7 Celcius degrees. It makes the organism to warm the water and that gives stimulating effect.

2. Take vitamins and minerals, especially iodine. Pace of our metabolism depends on hormones produced in thyroid.

3. Increase consumed carbons, bubn the complex ones. Simple carbons (such as glucose) increase insulin level in blood.

4. Eat a lot of proteins, about 2 -3 grams per 1 kg of body mass. It can speed up your proteins by 30% even.

5. Increase calories slowly so that the organism can get used to them. If you increase it rapidny, they will be stored as fat.

6. Eat smaller meals, but more often (5 - 6 meals per day). Make 2 h periods between then.

7. Caffeine is a thermogenic, it will speed up fat burning. But don't overdose. Personally I don't drink coffee at all, just don't like it. Tea is good also, especially red-leaf (pu-erh). Not many people like it, but it's known for its weight reducing effect.

8. Do some aerobic workouts (low intensity), at least 30 minutes long. Is it possible that the spinning is to hard to that lady? It's better to slow down. It's good to train before first meal.

9. Use spices like gigner, pepper, cinnamon, curry.

10. Decrease level of consumed fats. They are digested slowly. Probably it's not the case here.

11. Sleep well and relax While stressed, fat will be reduced slow (your body goes into storage mode).

For me the most important were rules 4, 6 and 8. Applying them I lost 20 kg (44 pounds).

How many calories does she consume per day? What is her current and target weight? If you wish I can provide more details on how to construct proper diet.

Kind regards,

Marcin
2006-11-09 4:40 AM
in reply to: #593909

Hi Marcin,

thanks for your response. Great! You are in Warsaw. Am in Philippines.

I don't know her actual weight.. but would estimate about 150 lbs. SHe is probably about 150 cm as well.

From her reports she is most likely eating 1000 or less calories a day. Way too few, especially considering she exercises so much.

She manages my classes quite well.. considering... I often have to ask her to slow down.. today she ran for an hour before attending my class!!

I asked her to consider starting a multi-vitamin.

I am going to pass your advice on to her also. Got her email and promised to do some research for her.

I think she should be eating more fat. She has a fat phobia. I actually suggested she try eating some nuts and regular (not lowfat) yoghurt..

I am in the same boat, but slowly getting there with the 5-6 meals a day. At least now am eating close to 2000 calories on most days.. I have the complication of hypothyroid.. but managing not to gain weight, and even to slowly lose.

Sally
2006-11-09 5:42 AM
in reply to: #593881

User image

Regular
Warsaw, Poland
You can find her calories requirements here:
http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/CalRequire.html

It seems she needs about 1500 kcal * workout factor - 500 kcal for reduction. The factor would be somethinf between 1.2 and 1.3 in her case, depends how many classes she takes. This would give about 1500 kcal together. 1000 kcal is too less for sure!

Fat is required also. Lack of it may slow down the metobolism. Nuts are great source of healthy fats, also fish (mackerel), olive oil. She won't gain weight consuming them. I think it's best to suggest increasing calories and adding all the nutrition elements slowly, so that she will see the effect.

Kind regards,

Marcin
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Eating Too Few Calories Rss Feed