Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Bicycle repair business Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2004-08-03 9:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Sydney
Subject: Bicycle repair business
Hey guys,
Its been sooo long since ive had time to visit, stuff has been pretty crazy with my last year of high school and all but i promise to come back for good once its all over.

Anyway, the question on my mind at the moment is what am i going to do AFTER school. Pretty scary thought. i want to go to uni and do a bachelor of science, but first i want to take a gap year. In this gap year i would like to start my own mobile bicycle repair service and see where it takes me.

I have gotten some inside information that the only two bikeshops in my town (i have worked at both) will be closing down before next year (moving to a "better" location) however i would simply put it down to bad management and poor customer relations in both cases. And now because of this there will not be a bikeshop within about 20km.
Throughout my time at both companies i have built up a large customer base and have many friends in the industry.
I have done a rough estimate of the start up cost and it seems like quite a viable plan.

The idea would basically be operating out of an enclosed trailer (yet to purchase - friend offered me one free i could do up and modify) and either do repairs on the spot or take home over night/a few days.

No one has really done anything like that here in australia (or sydney anyway) so i wont have any competition other that the odd bike shop a fair few suburbs away. The only bad thing about this is that i cannot tell if it will work or not.

Is their anything similar in america or around the world?
What do they do that sets them apart?

any tips, suggestions, advice, ideas etc would be greatly appreciated

Thanx guys!
.::aidan::.

2004-08-04 5:53 AM
in reply to: #43338

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Subject: RE: Bicycle repair business
Not exactly like your mobile idea, but my bike guy operates out of his garage. He's got twnety-five years in the business, is extremely knowledgeable, active in the local cycling club and all things cycling-related in this area. In addition to repairs and tuneups, he provides sizing and fitting services and also coaches and develops training programs. While he doesn't maintain and inventory, he also represents several custom bike manufacturers (Serotta, IMF).

I would much rather bring my bike into him than (no offense intended) some high school kid making minimum wage at the LBS. Point is, I think your idea would work as long as you continue to inspire trust, provide great service, and become established as a knowledgeable biking guru.

Your success would also depend on the market for such services. Out here, my guy can't make it on his bike business alone, as good as ihe is he has to have a day job to make ends meet. But then, this area is not exactly cycling mecca. For instance, the local cycling club has trouble getting 100 riders for it's annual century.

I'd say give it a shot,] while you continue at university. Could lead to much bigger things.
2004-08-04 8:15 AM
in reply to: #43387

User image

Veteran
Sydney
I like the idea of the coaching and training programs. ive been coaching athletics for a while but with cycling i have to wait till im 18 to get a level 1 accreditation so ill keep that in mind till october.

• ::aidan::.

• Some high school kid?! lol, yeah id be skeptical too with someone my age playin with my bike.
    2004-08-04 8:35 AM

User image

Champion
    Ottawa, Ontario
    What you are proposing is really a very good idea. Before you begin operations though, try to advertise as much as possible. Leave flyers at the two (presently) bicycle shops in your town. Try to have your present cusomers pass the word around that you will be open for business on a specific date. I am not knowledgeable on American tax laws but if they are anything like ours, you should think about registering your business for tax purposes. You might benefit greatly from new business tax incentives. Good luck!
    2004-08-04 10:15 AM
    in reply to: #43401

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
    The Road Back
    Gold member
    He's Australian.
    2004-08-04 11:25 AM
    in reply to: #43463

User image

Champion
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Well, slap me silly and call me Susie! You are quite right...he is from Oz! I tried to make the correction but the system would not allow it. So here it is again:

What you are proposing is really a very good idea. Before you begin operations though, try to advertise as much as possible. Leave flyers at the two (presently) bicycle shops in your town. Try to have your present cusomers pass the word around that you will be open for business on a specific date. I am not knowledgeable on Australian tax laws but if they are anything like ours, you should think about registering your business for tax purposes. You might benefit greatly from new business tax incentives. Good luck!

Edited by Machiavelo 2004-08-04 11:27 AM

2004-08-04 11:37 AM

User image

New user

Chicago, IL
    Fantastic idea Aidan! I've seen a mobile operation here in Illinois and if I knew more about bicycle repair I thought that setup would be fun. I would also suggest contacting the local cycling clubs, not just for advertising, but also for opportunties. An easy way to expand your customer base, get the word out and be able to get out to the countryside/outback would be to bring your trailer to events. Maybe offer free pre/post race consultations and then provide service on the spot. Best of luck in your endeavour!
    New Thread
    Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Bicycle repair business Rss Feed