General Discussion Triathlon Talk » TIMEX Trainer software...HELP!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-11-11 11:43 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
ma
Subject: TIMEX Trainer software...HELP!!

For the life of me, I can't find my "mini disk" that i'm assuming came with my TIMEX data 2 recorder. The box must have gotten thrown out somewhere along the way (I bought it a month ago). I tried several times to download the software, but keep getting an error message (-6001). Tech support 800 number is closed.

Does anyone have any insight into how to get either a copy of the software, or get through the error? (which tells me to empty my temporary folder, close all programs, and check internet....all of which i did).

thank you!!!

2006-11-16 3:23 PM
in reply to: #596560

User image

Pro
Tejas
Subject: RE: TIMEX Trainer software...HELP!!
Try the "contact us" link in the bottom right corner http://www.timex.com/gp/node/n/255235011/103-2382821-2167023?ie=UTF...

I couldn't determine which software you need to download from their list to try it myself.
2006-11-21 12:38 PM

User image

Veteran
Calgary
This doesn't answer your question, but I ditched the Timex Trainer software a long time ago in favor of SportTracks. (http://www.zonefivesoftware.com/SportTracks/) It supports the Timex Data Recorder right out of the box, and it's free.

If you don't like that, and can't find any other way to get the Timex software, PM me - I have a spare mini-CD.

2006-11-22 7:54 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
ma

I wrote to timex tech support. I had to empty out the InstallShield folder, and reinstall the Timex software. It loaded fine.

ertman....having said that, I will look into the software you suggested!!

Thank you!

2007-01-02 7:22 PM

Hi folks,

Thanks MUCH to Nikki for getting a post out there about this error, as well as everyone who responded! Otherwise, I would have been 'up the creek' when it came to this install.

I took the liberty of writing a mini-FAQ regarding this issue, in case someone else has the same problem (Presuming the target OS is Windows XP):

* To install:
o MOVE C:\program files\common files\InstallShield to C:\program files\common files\InstallShield_PRE_Timex
o Run the installer
o COPY C:\program files\common files\InstallShield to C:\program files\common files\InstallShield_POST_Timex
o It's probably a safe idea to copy the PRE_Timex files over the new C:\program files\common files\InstallShield directory

* If you failed to do the above, to uninstall:
o Note the GUID: 89880DE8-2BAE-43B4-982B-EE0AA3C8753D
o Find the GUID in the registry, delete the whole GUID tree.
o Find the GUID in the C:\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information directory, delete the entire folder
o Delete the entire C:\Program Files\Timex directory

* Otherwise, it's probably possible to:
o MOVE C:\program files\common files\InstallShield to C:\program files\common files\InstallShield_POST_Timex_2
o MOVE C:\program files\common files\InstallShield_PRE_Timex to C:\program files\common files\InstallShield
o Run the uninstall process from Add/Remove Programs

Other notes:

* The Timex database is an Access MDB file, which explains why the install is MDAC-dependent.

* The default name for the database is TimexTrainer.mdb. It's probably a good idea to make a backup of this, as while they do provide a blank database, they don't do a good job of showing the naming convention of the file, i.e.: "Timex Trainer blank database.mdb". I tried replacing the existing (and apparently corrupted) one with the blank database, and couldn't remember if it was "Timex"(space)"Trainer", or what. I called my backup: "Clean TimexTrainer.mdb", to avoid any confusion.

* Looks like a simple enough database. I'm warranting that a lot of fun could be had with this data if it were merged into another DB format.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » TIMEX Trainer software...HELP!! Rss Feed