General Discussion Race Reports! » Pauline's 40th B-day Sprint Duathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Pauline's 40th B-day Sprint Duathlon - Duathlon

View Member's Race Log
Medford, Massachusetts
United States
Pauline's Pals
63F / 17C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 46m 26s
Overall Rank = 7/7
Age Group = 30-35
Age Group Rank = 1/1
Pre-race routine:

Matthew made a big breakfast for us today -- scrambled eggs with veggies and toast -- so I ate well before the race. If anything I was worried that I'd eaten too well and too late (within 2 hours of the run), but it all settled well and I felt fine to race.
Event warmup:

Since this was an informal, do-it-yourself Duathlon, no one took anything seriously in the warmup. Some stragglers came 10 mins late, and I played with a lovely golden labrador, Lilly, while the late 'racers' got ready. Pauline yelled "let's go!" and we were off!
Run
  • 28m 2s
  • 3 miles
  • 09m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

Lovely day for a run, but for this first one, I kept the long sleeves on to really get warmed up before the ride.
Transition 1
  • 01m 20s
Comments:

A wee bit clumsy with the cleats...I'm out of practice for T1.
Bike
  • 56m
  • 15 miles
  • 16.07 mile/hr
Comments:

I spent a lot of time on the aerobars, which was nice. I know the course well since I rode it 30+ times on the Tu/Th training I do at Mystic Lake in the summers. A few places had large bumps that nearly tossed me out of aero. These patches were very jarring on the aluminum TT/tri-bike while they'd be no trouble at all on my old steel Bridgestone. Steel is real, I guess. But dang, I love the speed of the Raleigh!
What would you do differently?:

Find or catch other riders for a more social ride -- I was off the front (or back?) the entire ride. Only passed one of the bike only athletes, and she was having fun, but going too slow for me. I just kept hammering along.
Transition 2
  • 01m 4s
Comments:

Easier T2 than T1. I even had time for two big gulps of water, which was smart because there was no water on the run course.
Run
  • 28m
  • 3 miles
  • 09m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

I love this run and loved the sunshine, which was nice and warm by then. I ran in just my tri singlet and bike shorts -- didn't need the long sleeves at all.
What would you do differently?:

Feeling good throughout, I wish that I'd pushed it just a little harder. I could've run sub-9s on those miles, I think, if I'd just dug a little deeper.
Post race
Warm down:

More playing with the dog and a little stretching on the side.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My head wasn't in 'race mode' -- this was just for fun, so I treated it more like a workout than a race. Now, had I not been DFL or had I enjoyed running and biking with someone my pace (who wasn't there today), I might've been motivated to push harder. But that's OK; the point was to have fun, and I did.

Event comments:

Pauline enjoyed herself, and we all went to Carberry's for pastries and outdoor patio coffees after the race. Everyone who raced or participated by taking photos and watching the bikes/gear was really nice. I met several cool cyclists, all in their 40s, and had a blast chatting with them. Dale had even brought some sweet bread and a sparkler, so it really was a fun and special way to celebrate Pauline's big 4-0.

Last updated: 2006-11-11 12:00 AM
Running
00:28:02 | 03 miles | 09m 20s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/1
Overall: 0/7
Performance: Average
Course: Lake side trails and side walk, down and back.
Keeping cool Drinking
T1
Time: 01:20
Overall:
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike? Average
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Below average
Biking
00:56:00 | 15 miles | 16.07 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: 3 loops clockwise around the lake with surprisingly little traffic -- nice!
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:04
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:28:00 | 03 miles | 09m 20s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Negative split on the second half (the return) -- yay
Course: Another down/back along the lake side, but this time, on the return, I stayed on the pavement. I felt a little dicey with all of the leaves and some mud on the trails, and the last thing I wanted was a sprain or twist on a just for fun race.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2006-11-11 3:39 PM

User image

Master
Cambridge, MA
Subject: Pauline's 40th B-day Sprint Duathlon

2006-11-11 5:52 PM
in reply to: #596669

User image

Pro
MA
Subject: RE: Pauline's 40th B-day Sprint Duathlon
Love the idea of putting together a "race" to celebrate someone's b-day.  You guys are a lot of fun! 
2006-11-11 6:36 PM
in reply to: #596669

User image

Master
Kauai, Hawaii
Subject: RE: Pauline's 40th B-day Sprint Duathlon

Hum!  I turn 40 in year & 2months, I know what I going to get for my birthday then!  What a great idea!  Sounds like you had fun.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pauline's 40th B-day Sprint Duathlon Rss Feed