Copps Indoor
5C / 41F
Overcast
Total Time = 29m 49s
Overall Rank = 63/
Age Group = Senior Boys
Age Group Rank = 23/
Pre-race routine:

Just wanted to state that this race was over a week and a half ago. I know it was an important race for me but, yeah. I'm that lazy. Hope I remember everything.

Ok, to start the day I did the same thing as my last race. TEST TIME!!! Uh-huh, oh yeah. Exercise Science, but it was fairly straight forward. And because we had raced the same course last week, we didn't need to walk the course so we didn't leave until after first period.

So today, the regional Provincials (OFSAA) qualifier, we had 4 people come for our team. FOUR PEOPLE!!! Two chose to stay behind, for what reasons I have no idea. So we had two in midget boys and two senior boys. It was the senior girls that stayed at the school. As it turns out, things were starting a little later tha usual so we did have time to walk the course.

So we walked the SB course. Thankfully, it was a lot drier than last week. There was still a couple puddles on "the hill" but there were smaller then before and had some trails to navigate around them. Other than that, it was looking like a pretty good day.

When we got back there was some of the old gang from Montclair (My Jr high. They way the school zones are set-up, half go to Iroquois, our rivals, and have come to WOSS) So I chatted with them for a while. It had been a while, so it felt good to catch up. Then I went over to see my "run coach" Matt. I.e. the guy who will ready my for the half-mary next fall. We talked for a bit, smack talk not withholding (he finished 10th, one spot off OFSAA). Discussed strategy, see who's midget runners would win, etc...

Then our team went down to watch the midget boys. Our one guy really started off strong, but at the start of the second lap he looked like he was a little uncomfortable. He also finished 10th, one spot off of going to OFSAA. Now to wait a few hours till the senior boys start. Lounge, chew the fat, tried to nap. then once the junior boys started I started my warm-up.
Event warmup:

So I've been sipping gatorade all morning. Once The junior boys stared there was two races left before us. So I started my warm-up. 15 mins of a light run on course. Through in a few "light" pick-ups in there, used the washroom. Then stretched out. Washroom. Watched the Senior girls come in. Jogged for a few minutes and went down to the start line. Wish Matt the best of luck, and did some strides with Eric to get the heart rate up so the start wouldn't be such a shock to the system. We lined up as each school is allowed two racers on the line. "Racers ready....."
Run
  • 29m 49s
  • 7.05 kms
  • 04m 14s  min/km
Comments:

BANG! THis was a good little sprint start. By far my best start of the XC season (or so I thought). So as always we cram together as we get on the path, but unlike last week you could move! You werent running shoulder to shoulder or stepping on the shoes of the person ahead of you! Awesome. Now I was already feeling the lactic acid from the start. Crap I started too hard. Now I knew it would be ok for the time being, as I know I run better tired. The question was, would I be okay at the 6th kilometer? Well, I was about to find out. So I was holding a good pace untill the hill, where all form goes to hell. Yadd, yadda, yadda (I'm not yadda, yadda, yadding over the best part, trust me) felt like crap, got to the bottom and got the HR under control. *whew*. So anyway I got back to the finish line, watch time - 14:10 - Awesome! If I kept that up I could get under 30mins! So About 1/2way into this lap I felt it. I really had to fight the demons and go. I wasn't digging for energy so much as fighting the lactate, which I'm normally capibile of. So it was a fight, I had indeed started out too hard. That last hill was a BTich and ha half, but I still hand enough in me for a 150m sprint. Here I looked down and saw my watch say 29:15. I knew it would take 45sec to get to the finish, I know I had done it. It all became a blur as I went "all-in" and only focus on gettin the the finish line as fast as I could. I hears a "Go Jordan! You did it!" from my mom and Ms. Blair (coach). I raised my arms as if in victory, I finally made my goal.
What would you do differently?:

Not start out was hard. I felt I maintained my pace very well, but I still didn't run a negative split like usual. So maybe I could have gotten a little closer to 29:00mins. But I broke 30:00 and thats what counts!
Post race
Warm down:

Is soon as I crossed the line I hit my HRM for time. Then I grabbed my chute slip, #62 yeah (actually 63rd, someone around 50th didnt grap a slip, so says the RD)! But then came a scarey moment. You've all seen the pros who race and as soon as they cross the line their legs buckle from underneath? Yeah, that happened. I was almost on the ground but I caught myself with the same picnic table I rested on last week. A whole bunch of volunteers came around asking if alright and all that jazz. "Yeah, yeah. I'm fine". All that was left was standing in line in the chute.

Sub 30min 7k! BOOYAA!!!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Again, starting off too hard. But I'll never know.

Last updated: 2006-10-25 12:00 AM
Running
00:29:49 | 07.05 kms | 04m 14s  min/km
Age Group: 63/
Overall: 63/
Performance: Good
Max: 213bpm Average: 189bpm
Course: two loop, one hill each.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-11-11 11:08 PM

Master
Subject: CTK - GHAC Championship

2006-11-12 9:19 AM
in reply to: #596838

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Subject: RE: CTK - GHAC Championship
WOOHOO great Job Jordan.....I can't even run 5K inunder 30 minutes. Congrats on a great job.
2006-11-12 1:25 PM
in reply to: #596838

User image

Champion

Kilometers...minutes...so confused.

Sounds like a good time though.

Canadians.

2006-11-13 10:01 PM
in reply to: #597070

Master
DerekL - 2006-11-12 2:25 PM

Canadians.

Yeah.

Thanks for the props. It took me the whole XC season to get that time down. I was burntout the first race. And I came oh-so close the second race.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » CTK - GHAC Championship Rss Feed