General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Am I really that out of shape? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-08-04 10:28 AM

Pro
Andover
Subject: Am I really that out of shape?
The quick, honest answer is YES! I mean, it's only been 3 1/2 months since I dropped 50 pounds and I'm still at 190, well above the 165 I'd like to be. (I'm 5'7", M.) So, what should I expect? Well, how about a lower heart rate on my "runs?"

I went out on the flat trail with the HRM and planned to run in Zone 2 (65 - 75%) but I couldn't stay there. I mean, I was barely moving and my breathing wasn't bad. Heck, I could change from my jog to a walk at any point and not miss a beat either way. Yet, my heart rate was still above the zone.

Will this get better with time?

Thanks,
Rob

2004-08-04 10:35 AM
in reply to: #43467

User image

Pro
St Charles, IL
Subject: RE: Am I really that out of shape?
Yes.

You are still training your heart and building your cardiovascular endurance. I think if you are starting out, it is better to go by the Perceived scale, rather than trying to stick in a particular HR "zone".

If you are able to talk, carry on a conversation, then your pace is probably correct. If you are gasping for breath, then it is probably too fast.

As you build more CV endurance, as well as continue to make the rest of your body more fit, you'll find that your HR for the same intensity of work is lower.

I'm not a doctor, so take this all with a grain of salt, and check out my statements.

-Chris
2004-08-04 10:36 AM

User image

New user

San Diego, CA
First I want to congratulate you on dropping 50 lbs!! That is a great accomplishment in itself. The rest will just take time but it sounds like you are on the right track. Just keep on keepin on!

Best of luck to you!

Jill
2004-08-04 11:37 AM

User image

Champion
Beautiful Sonoma County
Welcome to my world. I was trying to stay at the 80% of LT which is about 140 bpm for me, and it was impossible. I went from 11 min/miles to 17 min/miles, and was passed by pedestrians. I've since given that up because runs shouldn't be a chore. When I run with my BF I don't wear my HR strap, and just go by how easy it is for me to talk with him.

There was some good info about this at: http://www.competitionzone.com/articles/tips-practical-consideratio... about VO2max and limVO2max. Also, some good info here, but long to read: http://www.ffh.us/cn/hadd.htm

Good luck!
2004-08-04 12:03 PM

User image

Elite

It is better to have a few things left to improve on.  I have no excuses and am still slow.  I am at a good normal weight (153 @5'8", have exercised regularly for years and have absolutely no health problems, but I am still slow as Christmas.  My times have slowed measurably since last year too.  I guess it is just an age thing, I am getting pretty much over the hill.  

Keep coloring in those little pink squares.   It is still the best medicine.

TW

2004-08-04 1:15 PM

User image

Expert
Colchester, CT
Rob:

As a long time runner, I have found that the elevation of my HR while running had a lot to do with weather. It's been really warm and humid around here lately, and I'm sure that has played a big part in it. As an example early in the spring, when temps are still in the mid 40's I could easily go out and run 8:30 miles almost endlessly and my HR wouldn't get about 140. The last week or so, I've had to slow down to about 9:30-10:00 miles to keep that same HR. Trust your HRM, if you are like me, you'll find that once the cooler weather gets here, you'll be able to run faster at the same HR.

Also, one more thing, especially in this weather, is to make sure you are staying hydrated. Dehydration will tend to make your heart rate drift up.

Chris

2004-08-04 1:43 PM
in reply to: #43559

User image

Pro
Helena, MT
I've often wondered about this. Is there any problem with exercising above what your heart rate should be? I mean, if you can go for the same distance/time even though your heart is going 10 beats too fast, what's the harm?
2004-08-04 3:13 PM

User image

Elite

Hey Kim,

I have wondered why one would intentionally go slower than is comfortable.  I have a theory but it may just be my Alzheimer's kicking in.  You be the judge.

My idea is that running more slowly allows you to run farther and burn the glycogen stored in your muscles more completely.  This forces your body to replenish more of those energy reserves.  This stress on the recovery system builds up the density of capillaries and mitochondria in the muscle that are doing the chemical conversions.  Running slowly is also easy on the joints and ligaments.  At least for me, I pound the pavement a lot harder as I pick it up a minute or so per mile.  So the benefits are in just really working one particular aspect of your fitness, i.e. increasing the tanks for endurance events, while saving the rest of the body. 

For most people,  the real limiter for performance (and enjoyment) in distance events is not to bonk.  This requires building those reserves.  This part of exercise adaptation takes the most time.  I believe that it takes years of long slow "base training" to reach the maximum adaptation of the recovery system that your body can achieve.

Of course, the long slow distance doesn't do so much for speed so close to the race, most training programs work on higher speed tempo runs and intervals.  These create strength.  You can make big changes in strength in a few months.

Personally, I rarely ever run/swim/bike fast.  My heart rate averages 136-140 in the summer, a bit lower in winter.  I never do speed work.  The consequences for me anyway are that I am never injured (knock on wood), I am very healthy (BP, RHR, blood lipids, triglycerides, etc.), and I am very slow compared to other people my age and fitness level.

This is not based on science, just my personal observation of my results.   I have read some books and asked some professional exercise physiologists if the body's ability to replenish glycogen can be improved through training or if it is like maximum heart rate and pretty much fixed by age and genetics.  I haven't gotten an answer so far.

TW

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Am I really that out of shape? Rss Feed