Tyranena Brewing Company
38F / 3C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 16m 53s
Overall Rank = 213/257
Age Group = F35-39
Age Group Rank = 26/28
Pre-race routine:

Went up to the Madison area Friday night, though torrential downpours, sleet, ice and snow. Nice. Saturday, the race didn't start until 12:30, but we needed to be there by 11am so that one of us could register for the 4.5 mile run/walk that they were also holding.... got there around 10am and had a LOT of time to kill!! Sat in the car, wandered around, chit chatted with people until it was finally time to start.
Event warmup:

None, really.
Run
  • 2h 16m 53s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 27s  min/mile
Comments:

BEAUTIFUL day for a run!! I was so afraid, after the weather the previous night, that it was going to be awful out. Instead, it warmed up to the high 30's, it wasn't too windy, and it was positively SUNNY out there. :) I was doing this race with my running buddy, so my goal was to try and keep her on a 10 m/m pace... we managed that through the very hilly first half of the race, but her wheels fell off shortly after that. She was really struggling through the rest of the course, but did great and finished strong.

The course was really pretty, lots to look at! Pretty challenging, too. I was so glad that I was running with my friend -- at the slower pace, it really gave me a chance to appreciate the day and the scenery. I was being such a cheerleader -- I think she wanted to push me into the lake a couple of times. :)
What would you do differently?:

Not a thing. This day was about getting my friend through the course, and she did an awesome job!
Post race
Warm down:

Get medal and some food. Then back to the truck to get dry clothes to change into.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nada.

Event comments:

This was the first time they put on this race, and overall, I thought they did a great job. Small - but very fast! - field out there, and so accordingly, they didn't have too many volunteers or water stations. They could have used another 2 water stations maybe (only 3 on the whole course), and at a couple of intersections, it would have been good to have someone stationed, since there weren't always enough people around to reliably still be following someone, esp. at the back of the pack.

That said, the post-race party was pretty good -- spaghetti, beer and a band! All in a heated tent. Also, since it was sponsored by the Tyranena Brewery, they had their bar open, too. Pretty cool. T-shirts were nice too - not your standard white race T. And the finisher's medal doubles as a Christmas ornament. And for a small race, it was chip-timed -- nice touch.

Last updated: 2006-10-02 12:00 AM
Running
02:16:53 | 13.1 miles | 10m 27s  min/mile
Age Group: 26/28
Overall: 213/257
Performance: Good
Mile markers were sometimes written on the road (and therefore hard to see because of the snow/slush that was at some parts covering them). I took some split times, but probably only about 6 or 7 over the course of the race. And when handwritten mile markers literally say "9-ish", you know it's not an exact science. :)
Course: Loop around Rock Lake. First half of the course was pretty darn hilly -- especially for a flat-lander like me! Most of the time, the lake was in view, which was awesome. The middle third of the race was on trails around the lake ... nice limestone, but snow-packed or muddy in a lot of places. Second half of the course was not so much hilly, which was good, but footing was bad in some spots.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-11-12 6:53 PM

User image

Master
Southwest Chicago 'burbs
Bronze member
Subject: Tyranena Beer Run

2006-11-13 7:03 AM
in reply to: #597235

User image

Master
Granvile, Ohio
Subject: RE: Tyranena Beer Run
WOO HOO!  Great job & great time especially considering the hills!   You ROCK!

LOL at the description of the mile markers!
2006-11-13 7:13 AM
in reply to: #597235

User image

Master
piece o heaven
Subject: RE: Tyranena Beer Run
excellent race - being from WI i know what you ran in and I am impressed

Congrats!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tyranena Beer Run Rss Feed