United States
MultiRace
Sunny
Total Time = 7h 01m 3s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 20-24
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

I got a hotel room for the night before so I wouldn't have to drive down on race morning. Met Mimi (Mimir98), Sharon (snikpos), Amy (MomX3) at an Italian place for pre-race carb loading. Frank (fcollada) was supposed to be there too, but got in a bad bike accident the day before and had to pull out of the race. Such a sad story. Anyways, we had a nice dinner and then left to go to our rooms. I got into bed around 8 p.m. - I was actually tired, since I'd been running around all day packing and at the expo. Fell asleep around 10 and got a pretty restful sleep. I did wake up once at 3:30 a.m. and had this revelation - holy crap, I'm getting up in an hour to get ready for a half ironman! Woke up without an alarm at 4:30, ate my Kashi honey oat cereal with a banana, didn't drink nearly enough water (which will come back to haunt me later), checked out, and off I went to the race site. The roads were empty on the way to the race, and it was still dark out. I just listened to the radio and this sad song came on- I don't even know which one it was, but I just started getting teary-eyed about the fact that I'm going to be doing something so amazing today. I arrived at the park, got all my gear together and found my spot in transition. I was really happy I didn't foget anything, as I was sure I was going to. The only thing I did forget to do, was put sunscreen on. Ooops. Saw Mimi, Sharon, Frank (with stiches and all, he came out to watch us!), Bill (The Mac), Jeff (Q) before the race. My mom and Barry made it down to the swim start to see me off. We took some pictures, and it was time to go.
Event warmup:

Nothing. Jumped in the lake with my wetsuit, since it was the first time I had put it on since St. A's. Still fit- whew!
Swim
  • 36m 50s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 44s / 100 yards
Comments:

I couldn't believe when I looked at my watch when I finished the swim. I thought it had stopped working. I'm never this fast! I don't know what happened, because I actually felt kinda slow and tired on the second lap. I did take Mimi's advice and when I exited from the first lap, I didn't run - I walked back into the lake to start lap #2. Kept my HR down - good decision. No need to rush, it's gonna be a long day!
Transition 1
  • 06m 26s
Comments:

Following Frank's advice, I walked to transition to keep my HR down. It was a loooong walk to transition. Kinda a pain. Had a bit of trouble getting wetsuit off - probably should have sprayed more Pam on. Took my time getting my socks, cycling shoes, gloves, helmet, etc. on. I really had to pee at this point, and I was going to try and do it in transition, but there was this group of 4 guys just standing there staring at me, and I was like crap, I can't pee right in front of them. I had actually tried to pee in the water while swimming, but I was just not relaxed enough to do it. I remember thinking about Janelle's RR, where she peed while swimming, thinking - how did she do that?? :)
Bike
  • 3h 14m 58s
  • 53 miles
  • 16.31 mile/hr
Comments:

Now, this bike was not 56 miles. There's no way. My computer said 53 miles, and I talked to several people whose bike computers also said the same thing. So, I'm just going to go with 53.

When I first got on the bike I still had to pee, and I tried to do it while biking, but couldn't. So, I stood up in the saddle and was able to pee a little bit. That felt better. As soon as I did that, my bike race number fell off. Oh well. I didn't know if I would get a penalty for not having my race # or what. I have to say, this being the first time I've ever peed on a bike- it was pretty gross. I don't think I'll do that again.

I was actually pretty happy to get on my bike. There were clouds, so it wasn't too hot, and NO WIND, which I thanked my lucky stars for. Herein where the nutrition problem lies...because it wasn't that hot, I didn't drink NEARLY as much as I should have. I will admit also, that I went into this race with the mindset: I will drink when I'm thirsty and eat when I'm hungry. This is not a good idea. Do not do what I did. I think this mindset stemmed from the fact that on my last 3 hour ride, I ate a clif bar and it just sat in my stomach and didn't digest. So, that freaked me out, and I didn't want to have food/drink stuck in my stomach and not get absorbed, and then on the run feel like crap. Well, I wound up feeling like crap anyway, so it didn't matter.
What would you do differently?:

Drink more. Eat more. Have an actual nutrition plan. Find out why my quads always cramp around 35-40 miles. Maybe related to the whole not drinking enough thing, you think? :)

Also, I was so thankful not to get a flat or have mechanical issues on the bike. I'm still pretty unknowledgeable when it comes to these things unfortunately.
Transition 2
  • 05m 57s
Comments:

SO freaking glad to get off that bike. My upper back was killing me and my quads hurt. I was wondering what kind of run I would have. I felt so great at the beginning of the bike, but by the end, I was hurtin' a little. Racked my bike on our falling bike rack and changed my socks, put on fuel belt, race #, and I was off. Barry ran with me on the way out of transition. I told him I was feeling great and had a good bike. Boy, would that feeling change shortly.
Run
  • 2h 56m 52s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 13m 30s  min/mile
Comments:

Now, here's where the real fun begins! About oh, 5 minutes after I saw Barry and told him I felt great, I hit a wall. The muscles around my right knee started cramping and I couldn't run. It hurt to walk. I tried to stand still and stretch, but that didn't do much. I just decided I needed to keep jogging and not stand still. I was alternating b/t drinking my gatorade and water, and taking an electrolyte. But like I mentioned in the bike segment, I just drank when I felt like it. Obviously it wasn't nearly enough. I just hurt so bad, that I really couldn't run much, so I tried to walk for a bit, run for a bit. This was only at MILE TWO of the 13.1 mile run!!! I was so depressed. I felt like I had been having a really great race up until this point. And, let me just tell you how depressing it is to have everyone else jogging, flying past you. It sucks. Royally. At this point, i was so sick of eating sweet stuff. The idea of eating a gel or clif blok was nauseating. It was also at this time that I became extremely sick to my stomach. This feeling lasted until my second lap of the run. I tried to eat some bananas, but everything I ate or drank made me nauseous. I also started to get goosebumps. This wasn't good. By the halfway point, I saw Barry and my mom. This was where I had made the decision to DNF. I said this is it- I've never felt this awful in my life before. I want to stop, I don't care. Just get me out of here and let me lay down. I was even thinking about what I was going to say in my BT RR- how I DNF'd. Well, Barry walked with me to the 7 mile point and by that time he had convinced me to keep going. I figured, worse comes to worse, I could walk the rest of the way- but I knew how long that would take. I wasn't looking forward to it.

The only good thing that happened was, the hot, steaming sun went away and the clouds came out. It was a godsend. Had it not been for that, I truly probably would have quit. I was so hot, that it was miserable. A stark contrast from the cool and comfortable bike I had.

It was eerily quiet on the second lap of the run. Most of the people had finished by now, and it was just the slowpokes left. I felt bad making my mom and Barry wait for me. I knew they were probably getting tired and wanted to go home. So, I said to myself, I will walk 2 mins, run 2 mins. I did that for a few miles, until I started getting really bad stomach cramps. I tried to pee and nothing came out. I knew I was in trouble then - I hadn't peed in 6 hours. I was scared something was wrong, like my bladder had been destroyed or something. It hurt so bad - and worse when I was running than with walking. So, I walked. Alot. I just kept moving forward. That was my thing- just keep going forward. I saw Janice (foolproof) at one of the water stations and she was a welcome sight. :)

I was so glad to see mile 12. I broke down and started crying, because I knew I would finish this race. I was hurting so bad, but yet so happy that Barry had convinced me to keep going. It was a crazy combination of emotions. He jogged the last mile with me and kept shouting how good I was doing, and how proud he was of me. I was so sick I didn't even want to look at him, I just wanted to cross the finish line and lie down, and hope the stomach cramps went away.

I was never so happy to see that finish line in my life. I hear Sharon yelling for me, and I tried to sprint in, but as soon as I did that, I could feel my calf muscle start to cramp. Oh well- I just had to jog to the line. Got my medal and water. I drank an 8 oz. water bottle and laid down. I had goosebumps again and my toes and calves were cramping badly. Sharon said I looked pretty bad and would feel better if I went to the medic tent. I said I just neede to rest. My mom and Barry came over and sat with me. All I wanted to do was get out of my nasty trisuit, so I got up to go to the bathroom and change. I was really dizzy and just all around disoriented and sick-feeling. When I came out I yelled for Barry to get my stuff out of transition. I stumbled to the ambulance and started crying to the paramedic. he probably thought I was crazy. I said, my stomach hurts so bad and it feels like I need to pee, but I can't. He had me lay down and took my BP (80/55) and was like, you just bought yourself an IV lady. 2 tries later, they finally got the needle in. Of course, my mom walks by and sees me in the ambulance and is going crazy. She told me I can't ever do these triathlons, again. :) heh heh. Sharon and Mimi came to visit me, too. It's funny, even after the entire IV bag was gone, I felt a little better, but still not too good. I was still shivering and felt cold. The guy told me to keep drinking the rest of the night. I was worried too, because I still didn't need to pee.

My mom drove me home, and thank god, halfway home, boy did I have to pee. It was the greatest feeling in my life. I was so glad I didn't have anything seriously wrong. I drank so much for the rest of the night. Every time I peed, I had a smile on my face. lol.
Post race
Warm down:

IV fluids :)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

stupid nutrition

Event comments:

Now, that it's the day after the race, I look back and think how much better I could have done, had I prepared better. I really, really want to do a HIM next year and have a much different experience than this time. I want to be one of those people on the run course that are jogging easily, and don't look like they are dying. This was a great experience for me, and although I am bummed about how slow I was, I can't wait to work on my weaknesses and greatly improve next year.

Thanks for reading!

Last updated: 2006-11-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:36:50 | 2112 yards | 01m 44s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 06:26
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:14:58 | 53 miles | 16.31 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind:
Course:
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 05:57
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:56:52 | 13.1 miles | 13m 30s  min/mile
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2006-11-13 10:26 AM

Master
Boston
Subject: Miami Man 1/2 Iron

2006-11-13 10:30 AM
in reply to: #597617

User image

Giver
Subject: RE: Miami Man 1/2 Iron

First off...hooray for no wind on the bike!

And second off...congrats, halfironwoman! Isn't that BT accountability great? Way to tough through a tough race. You rock!

2006-11-13 10:45 AM

User image

Pro
MAC-opolis

I felt the same about being slow, then I remembered how many people can actually finish a race such as this; not many.  You did it!  Now go pee...

2006-11-13 10:51 AM

User image

Expert
Houston, TX
Congrats on toughing it out and finishing the race!
2006-11-13 10:54 AM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Way to hang in there Lisa....yeah..my mom would have freaked out too.  She kept saying "you aren't doing another one of these are you?"  After IMFL.  Silly moms they worry so!!  Hope you are feeling better.  Keep pushing the fluids this week and congrats on the 70.3
2006-11-13 11:05 AM

User image

Buttercup

Atta Girl!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GREAT JOB! I'm so proud of you! I think you did GREAT. And you know I love your swim time.

2006-11-13 11:08 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Way to tough it out, Lisa.  Sounds like it was a great learning experience that you can use to prepare for your next race.

And Go Gators!

Mark 

2006-11-13 11:15 AM

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Nice job Lisa.  You finished and thats all the matters.  You will have plenty more races to fix that nutrition plan and get it right.
2006-11-13 11:19 AM

User image

Master
Tampa, Fl
Way to tough it out.
It really stinks when you are dehydrated and they can't find a vein.
2006-11-13 11:22 AM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Lisa,

I'm so glad you were able to make it through it all, congrats on now being an Ironwoman!  Too bad about the IV and all but just think of it as a great lesson learned

2006-11-13 11:51 AM

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
Congrats on finishing and awesome swim time! I'm sorry it hurt so much, but I'm glad you made it through! I love that instead of never wanting to do tri's again, you can't wait to get out there already and improve- great attitude!

2006-11-13 12:00 PM

User image

The Original
Raleigh/Durham

Wow Lisa- I'm so glad you didn't quit!  It may have been hard, it mey have been tough, but you finished!  And what a great feeling that is.  A few things- I'm so happy you peed on the bike, but disappointed you only did it once   It is possible to pee while swimming, you just have to be VERY relaxed- glad you tried it though.  With a few more tries you'll be a pro at it!

Just think- with the proper nutrition and hydration plan, your second 1/2 IM will be much easier!  It's all about nutirtion and hydration and it's hard to make yourself eat and drink that much, especially when you're not feeling like it.

Glad it wasn't as windy on the bike as it was last year.

Congrats- what a way to finish off your tri season with your first 1/2 IM!

2006-11-13 12:02 PM

User image

Master
Tiger's Den
Way to stick it out! You know you are an IRONwoman when you finish feeling as bad as you did. You'll love your next one!!
2006-11-13 12:12 PM

User image

Elite
South Florida
Wow - you were SO fast on the swim!!  I'm glad you toughed it out and finished the race - what a great accomplishment.  I thought the bike course was a little short too - I think my computer said just around 21 miles when  it was supposed to be 22.  I figured they made up for it with a run that felt way long!   Congrats on becoming a half-ironwoman!!
2006-11-13 12:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Miami, FL
Congratulations Lisa!  I'm so proud of you... for a great swim... for peeing on the bike... for sticking with it despite being in so much pain... talk about a mental effort!!!  Kudos to Barry for sticking with you and encouraging you to not quit!  You've got a great guy there!  Really... I am in awe of what you did... and the great attitude of getting it better next time!  Way to go girl!
2006-11-13 2:15 PM

User image

Master
Colorado

Yay!
And yes, those IV's are awesome.

Way to tough it out!

2006-11-13 3:54 PM

User image

Master
Virginia Beach, VA
Great job Lisa! Way to hang in there and finish a tough race! I'm sure you learned lots and will use that knowledge in your next HIM. Way to go!!!
2006-11-13 6:25 PM
in reply to: #598015

Champion

Way to go to make it to the finish Lisa.  Sure, if you had DNF'd we'd all still be congratulatory for toughing it out as long as you did, but now we have an even greater appreciation of what it's like to make it through a tough day.  I know where you've been too...I have more pee-related adventure stories than I care to recall!  Good job to Mom and Barry too for hanging around!

2006-11-13 6:43 PM

User image

Expert
Jacksonville, FL
I am proud of you!! It is a great accomplishment to finish when you are hurting so bad. That makes you even tougher!

Hope you washed your bike.
2006-11-13 6:54 PM

User image

Master
Plant City, FL

CONGRATULATIONS Lisa on an awesome victory!!  More than just crossing the finish line this time.  This was a struggle of mental, physical and emotional.  You are one tough Gator chick!!  Now...we just need to practice getting you to pee on the bike better!!

2006-11-13 9:33 PM
in reply to: #598151

, Alabama

ropkins - 2006-11-13 6:43 PM Hope you washed your bike.

Bob is so eloquent, isn't he?  You totally rocked!  Busting a gut, making it to the line.  You're a tough cookie! 

Sharon

2006-11-13 11:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nashville TN

Lisa so proud of you!!! you rock!! dang aren't you the little fish in the water!! way to stick it out! I say that is the true test...when things aren't going all perfect...what do you do?

awesome!

2006-11-14 8:49 AM

Pro
Andover
Woo Hoo... Way to get it done, Lisa! CONGRATS!

BTW:
It's the tough ones you'll always remember.

2006-11-14 9:31 AM

User image

Master
Chelmsford, Massachusetts

What a great RR Lisa!!  You totally rocked that swim!!  I'm so glad you decided to finish, Barry is one awesome motivator!  I wish I'd been around to see you finish, I was just so hungry and spent that I just had to get out of there!

Funny though, we both had nutrition problems, of the opposite nature!  I drank TOO MUCH water.  Not enough food.  Thank goodness for those aid stations on the run being less than a mile apart eh?  Did you notice the animals in the zoo?  Baby warthogs?  I was kinda crazy in the skull for most of that.  Maybe next year I'll notice more.

You did awesome.  It's not about how fast we are at this point.  Well, unless we're Sharon, winning our age group!!!  LOL  It's about the finish and the idea that we have come so far!  CONGRATS...it's such an awesome feeling isn't it?  BIG YAY TO YOU!!!

Thanks for making it such a great weekend!

2006-11-14 9:58 AM

User image

Elite
Raleigh

Thanks for letting me know about your RR....

wow your RR sounds very familiar...lol I am glad you made it ok and I look back and think of all the mental challenges you went through on the run, the metal battle is always the hardest part of the race.... it should be a 4 part race, swim, bike, run, and smack down fight with your own brain...

Congrats girl! way to hang in there... very proud of you.

I am going to get my revenge at IM70.3 FL

Remember fluids are apprently very essential to a triathlete.... lol

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Miami Man 1/2 Iron Rss Feed  

of 2