Triangle United Way
57F / 14C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 26m
Overall Rank = last/unk
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

My son and I met Robin for breakfast. The races didn't get started until 1:00 so there was time to be casual pre-race. Dropped boo off at a friends house and headed downtown to look for a place to park. Found a place without too much trouble. Got registered and hung around chatting with some friends of Robin's from her running club.
Event warmup:

It was cold and rainy pretty much up until the 5k race started. I cheered Robin off on her race and went and found a warm place to hang out until she finished. Stayed in a warm place as long as I could then went out and did a few stretches before standing around with the rest of the crowd bobbing up and down to keep the blood flowing.
Run
  • 1h 26m
  • 6.21 miles
  • 13m 51s  min/mile
Comments:

Ran the race I planned to run. Run/Walk intervals. Worked on lengthening my run interval as I got into the race and got warmed up good. Got very frustrated about 2 miles in and here is the note I sent to the race director...

Good day folks!

I wanted to relay some information about my experience at the Old Reliable this past weekend.

I am not a fast runner and when I run I do run/walk intervals, which is not uncommon. When I entered the 10k race this weekend, to my knowledge, there was no cut-off time or requirement to maintain a minimum pace. Maybe I missed this in the race information.

I am a back-of-the-pack racer and I'm okay with that because I do this for fun and fitness. I also participate in triathlons so I am aware of the logistics that go into putting a race of any sort together. At about 2 miles into the run Sunday there were a handful of us pulling up the rear. A very impatient police officer was tailing us and kept yelling out the window at anyone taking a walk break that it was "time to run!" She also kept making comments that were easily overheard by the participants that this isn't a run/walk event. At about this point, we were instructed to get on the sidewalk as she gunned the engine and raced off to catch up with the next group in front of us commenting as she sped away that she couldn't stay back here with this group. This also opened up the race course to traffic. Unfortunately this set the tone for the rest of my race as I watched the remainder of the race course shut down before I got there. The second water stop was still there fortunately because the third one was gone by the time I got there. There was nobody at the turn around point so I guess I turned around at the right placeā€¦but who knows. All-in-all it was a very frustrating experience.

I ran the race I intended to run. However, had I known that there were certain expectations going in that I would not be able to meet, I wouldn't have registered for this particular race. It has been my experience with triathlons and other race events that if the race course is only going to be closed for a set period of time, this information is conveyed to the racers prior to registration. I would have appreciated having this knowledge. I'd also like to suggest that if this is typically the way this race is set up, that any sort of minimum pace or race cut-off time be conveyed to the runners ahead of time. It will make the whole experience much more enjoyable for everyone. If there is no cut-off or minimum pace requirement, then it appears there was a break-down in communication between your race director and the officers providing traffic control that may need to be addressed prior to next years race.

Post race
Warm down:

Walked around...turned in my chip...got water...went home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Mostly the extra poundage I'm still toting around.

Event comments:

I love this race. It was sort of the kick-off to my renewed interest in getting fit a couple of years ago. I've done the 5k the past two years (last year with my then 6 yo son which was very cool) and entered the 10k with frustrating results this year.

Last updated: 2006-11-06 12:00 AM
Running
01:26:00 | 06.21 miles | 13m 51s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/unk
Performance: Good
Time is a guess until the official race results are posted...assuming they recorded my time. Avg HR was 157.
Course: Nice rolling course. No big hills, just gradual rolling terain. I ended up running most of the race on the sidewalks so had to deal with uneven surfaces, fallen leaves, and mud puddles from time to time.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?