United States
55F / 13C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 24m 27s
Overall Rank = 22/499
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 2/56
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 6:20 since I couldn't sllep all night anyway. Had a banana, Power Bar, and made a cup of coffee for the road. Also grabbed a bottle of Accelerade to sip on.
Event warmup:

~10min of easy running building pace. 5min of light stretching before jogging to the start area and doing a few striders.
Run
  • 1h 24m 27s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 06m 27s  min/mile
Comments:

This was a training run. I figured it would be a good opportunity to get a hard long run at it was. I went out and settled into a small group with 3 other runners...2 guys and a girl. The girl ended up leaving us in the dust and ran something like 1:20. One of the guys stuck with me and I eventually found out that this was his first 1/2 and he had hoped to run 1:45. I told him we were on pace for 1:22 at 6 miles and he seemed a bit concerned :) I knew he wasn't going to hold on but he put up a good fight for a while. By the 8th mile he was gone. I ran a very consistent pace aside from miles 1 & 3 where I was too fast and the last mile or so where I was struggling to hold on and then shut it down in the last 200m when I saw that I wasn't going to PR.
What would you do differently?:

I might have went out a bit fast but overall I just gave it my best effort. A nice taper would have helped for sure.
Post race
Warm down:

So my legs really didn't want to but I knew it would do me good to get a cool down jog so I did about 5min of easy jogging and a lot of stretching.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Well, if I were looking for my best performance then I probably should have cut about 10 hours of training this week but since I was using this race as a hard workout then I guess I couldn't expect much more. I got a good hard run at the end of 2 solid weeks of build-up for Clearwater. Maybe next season I can actually train for and focus on a 1/2 to see what I can really do.

Event comments:

For the first year of this race I was impressed with the organization and all of the planning. There were only ~550 runners but they did it right and I'm sure this race will build into a great event once word gets out.

Last updated: 2006-10-15 12:00 AM
Running
01:24:27 | 13.1 miles | 06m 27s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/56
Overall: 22/499
Performance: Good
6:02, 6:24, 6:08, 6:30, 6:30, 6:33, 6:25, 6:33, 6:33, 6:28, 6:28, 6:32, 6:40, :42
Course: A nice tour of the largest Navy base in the world. Not particularly exciting but it is flat as a pancake.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes