Multirace
83F / 28C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 12m 41s
Overall Rank = 283/291
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 17/19
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:15. Got my water out of the fridge and loaded the car for my long drive. Ate a plain bagel and drank some water on the way down.

Drove into the parking lot and got out of my car right as The Mc, Little Mac and Zilla were getting out of their car next to me! :) That was lucky because I wasn't sure how to put my wheel back on (I knew how, but I was afraid I might mess it up somehow) so Little Mac and Zilla helped me. We walked over to the transition area together.

I set up my area then went over to Mimi's rack to see if I could say hi before her race st rated. I found her with Lisa (Gator Girl) who bodymarked me. I talked with them for a bit, met Frank (FCollada), saw Billcarb and as they were about to go down to the swim area we saw Jeff (Q). It is SO nice to see people you know or at least recognize before a race!
Event warmup:

Nothing much - just walked around saying hi to BT folks. I did finally remember that I hadn't had my tires pumped up yet. I asked some people around me and nobody had a pump with them so I had to walk all the way back to the bike tent. Luckily I did that because 1.) my tire was on backwards and 2.) my tires only had 20psi in them!!! I guess I better learn a little more about my bike over the winter.

Oh - then I went down to the swim start to cheer on the 1/2 iron people. I got in the water about 10 minutes before my wave just to gte used to the water.
Swim
  • 24m 47s
  • 1056 yards
  • 02m 21s / 100 yards
Comments:

Holy crap - this swim looked SO long! I mean, that's what I get for not swimming once before the race, but this looked REALLY long! Oh well, I knew I could get throught it so I just stayed to the outside and back and started off on my slow, breaststroking way. The lake was beautiful so I wasn't nervous about anything, but I felt like I wasn't getting anywhere so I stated to feel a little worried. I don't know why - I knew I'd finish and I knew I wouldn't drown or anything, I guess it's just the feeling of being last and alone in a big lake. Turns out there were a few other ladies around me so I wasn't totally alone.

I felt OK for the swim, I was a little out of breath so I did a lot of old lady breaststroke with my head out of the water even, I never stopped though. I was never so happy as when I saw that last buoy!
What would you do differently?:

Practice
Transition 1
  • 05m 36s
Comments:

I was planning on walking the long way from the swim to T1, but I felt so happy to be out of the water I decided to run a little bit. I had left my flip flops there so I wouldn't step on anything and that helped a lot. (I saw one of the front guys step on something as he ran down the path and he was pissed!)

I knew I wasn't in this race to win anything so I took my time. I sat dwn and dried my feet and got a band aid, my socks and shoes on. I grabbed my helmet, stuffed my pockets with Sport Beans (can't handle anything more grown up yet) and ran with my bike out of T1. That's one of the many good things about being such a beginner - I still wear my running shoes on the bike so I can run past the people shuffling in their bike shoes.

Nothing
Bike
  • 1h 24m 27s
  • 21.75 miles
  • 15.45 mile/hr
Comments:

Before the race this was the leg I was most worried about. I had never ridden my bike more than 13 miles and here I was going for 22! I was planning on not going too fast to make sure I could cover the distance, but once I got out there I felt so good!

Around mile 5 or 6 I saw a guy on the side of the road all alone. He asked if I had a spare so I pulled over and gave him my only tube (which I bought two days before the race even though I couldn't have done anything with it if I got in trouble!) Then he asked if I had air but of course I didn't. I figured nobody else would stop for him and maybe good karma would come back to me and help me get through the rest of the race. :) I hopped back on and tried to get back up to speed.

I wen tpast a creek where I saw a bunch of turtles sunning themselves on a log. I went by Monkey Jungle and heard a bunch of monkeys squaking away. I finally got to the turn around but it was just two volunteers in the middle of the road saying, "turn here!" It seemed funny that it was in the middle of the road so I went past them a little before I turned aorund (I didn't want to turn too early and get in trouble!) There was also a huge group of about 25 rider going the other way right when I had to turn and I didn't want to get mixed up with them. They weren't wioth the race - just a cycling group out for a ride. One of them cat called to me, "Hey baby!" It made my day. When I turned around I ended up passing them (I don't know why they were going so slow) and I told them I had never felt so fast in my life - passing a bunch of real cyclists!

I felt good (but lonely!) until about mile 16, then my legs started to get heavy. I wasn't hurting, I just had to slow down a lot. Oh well - only 6 miles to go!

I got to the dismount line and stopped my bike but could barely lean over. I just sort of sat there balancing until the bike tipped to the side and I got off. My legs were jelly then and I definitely wasn't running my bike into T2!

Practice more
Transition 2
  • 04m 8s
Comments:

Hobbled to my rack, racked my bike, grabbed a cold water. Grabbed two handfulls of my cold M&M's and offered some to two guys next to me who had already finished the race. They declined. i told them they were missing out and went on my way. I walked over the timing mat but managed a very slow shuffle once I was on the official run course.

Nothing
Run
  • 1h 13m 43s
  • 6.5 miles
  • 11m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt like I was going SO slow on the run, but when I looked at my watch at the 2 mile mark I was going between 10 - 10:30. I was happy with that. Unfortunately I couldn't keep it up the whole way. I was convinced they had messes up the mileage signs - they seemed like they were all two miles apart! Oh well, it was fun to go through the zoo. it was not fun to go through the parking lot - hot, sunny and boring. Until I got to Janice's water station - that was a nice boost in the middle of a boring run! :)

I think I only walked once to eat some beans until about mile 4. I had to pee so much and at one point I started to get the chills. I figured that couldn't be a good sign so that's when I added more walking. I also strated drinking more (I think I had been holding off on the water since I had to go to the bathroom)

Once I got back into the zoo I got the biggest boost of the whole race. I was sure I was last - I ame out of the water with only about 3 people behind me. Then they all passed me on the bike. The only girl I passed on the bike (she was on a mt. bike) flew by me on the run. Then, all of a sudden, I came up on a girl with a 31 on her leg!! Not only was I not last but she was in my age group!!! I said hello and commented on how cool it was to see the animals - then I took off! :) OK - not really took off, but shuffled faster than she was shuffling.

For the rest of the race I got so nervous if I heard steps behind me - luckily it was never her. Now I was back on the dirt path thinking I was right at the end - I didn't know the path still went all through the campground - that was a little bit of a blow. I just kept on walking/running and finlly got to the 6 mile marker.

I ran the last few hundred yards to the finish and had a huge smile on my face - I couldn't believe I did it and it looked like I was under my goal.

Train more, drink more.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, met some nice people, waited to see Mimi on her first run lap and got to see both Mimi and Sharon looking awesome! I tried to wait for my results, but by this time I just wanted to get home.

When I did get my results I was so happy - my big goal was around 3:30 - and my realistic goal was more like 3:45 - so I was so surprised when I came in under 3:30!! :)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not having enough time to train, but someday I will and then I'll go for a goal of under 3 hours. :)

Last updated: 2006-10-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:24:47 | 1056 yards | 02m 21s / 100yards
Age Group: 17/19
Overall: 247/291
Performance: Below average
Suit: None
Course: Out staight, turn to left, then a rectangular course back to the shore
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 05:36
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:24:27 | 21.75 miles | 15.45 mile/hr
Age Group: 18/19
Overall: 262/291
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Out and back through the rural parts of West Miami.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 04:08
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Bad
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:13:43 | 06.5 miles | 11m 20s  min/mile
Age Group: 15/19
Overall: 236/291
Performance: Average
Course: Out of the park, along a drt path, through the zoo, out to the parking lot and back, back into the zoo, back on the dirt path, through the camp ground and finally into the park again.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-11-14 1:55 PM

User image

Elite
South Florida
Subject: Miami Man

2006-11-14 2:16 PM
in reply to: #599016

User image

Master
South Florida
Subject: RE: Miami Man
You always amaze me with what you can seem to do on race day with not so much time to train!  In a few years, you're going to be tearing up your age group, girl!!  I'm so impressed you followed through and not only did this race, but did it well. 
2006-11-14 3:37 PM

User image

Pro
MAC-opolis

Who wouldn't cat call? 

Great race.  So good to see you and look forward to seeing you at more SoFlo races!

2006-11-14 4:33 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
Nice job getting through it all!
2006-11-14 5:56 PM

Master
Boston
Amy- WAY to go- you totally smoked your goal. I know you were really nervous before the race, but you did absolutely amazing. Just think what you can do when you actually get out there and ride your bike more!! I hope you'll start racing more next season. Good luck, and great to meet you at dinner!
2006-11-15 6:44 AM

User image

Elite
South Florida

Thanks everyone!

I forgot to add that after the race I saw the guy who had the flat tire.  He thanked me for the tube and told me he did finall yfind air.  He asked someone going by and he said he had it but looked like he didn't want to stop - so he ripped his whole bag off his bike and threw it to the guy!  The flat tire guy tried to remember his number and was searching for him so he could give the bag back.

2006-11-15 7:51 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Waterboro, Maine
Great race. Love your colorful race report!

You did the right thing helping the guy by giving up your tube. Did he offer to replace it? Did he ever get the air?
2006-11-15 8:24 AM

User image

Master
Indian Harbour Beach, Florida
Great race! I would NEVER turn down M-nMs! What was WRONG with those guys!
2006-11-15 8:26 AM

User image

Pro
MA

Awesome job, Amy.  Congrats on your first oly.  You're so brave to have only ridden 13 miles then jump on to the race.  Wow.... first 1/2 mary no long ago and now an oly where you met your "aggressive goal". 

Nice of you to stop and give that guy your spare tube.  Cool to see all those animals -  turtles, monkeys, volunteers...   looked like you have a great time.  WOuld love to race with you again.

2006-11-15 12:19 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2006-11-16 9:03 AM

Master
Chelmsford, Massachusetts
GREAT RACE AMY!!!  Way to push thru it and slam that goal to the ground!!  It was great to see you, even if it was only for a couple minutes.  Imagine how easy the next one will be now!  Way to go!!!

2006-11-18 8:03 AM

molto veloce mama
awesome job meeting your goal!!!
2006-11-18 11:24 PM

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth, TX
13 to 22 and a 10K on top of that...Way to go!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Miami Man Rss Feed