General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Shin Splints II Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-08-05 8:41 AM

Jefferson City, TN
Subject: Shin Splints II
I read on an earlier post that there are some exercises you can do for shin splints. The duck walk thing comes to mind. Do you do the duck walk before running, immediately after running, several times throughout the day or all of the above? My shins started hurting this morning and I'm wanting to head this off at the pass. Thanks for the help.

Rick

2004-08-05 8:43 AM
in reply to: #43918

User image

Extreme Veteran
Seattle, WA
Subject: RE: Shin Splints II
I usually did them before a run, but I'm sure that's just when my coach could keep a watchful eye and make sure we were doing them. Anytime is probably fine.

Just start slowly...like 20-30 seconds a "set", 2-3 sets. I worked up to several minutes, but that was after 4 years of x-ctry.

Hope those shins heal up soon!!! ICE, ICE, ICE!!!
2004-08-05 9:02 AM

Veteran
Albury, Oz
Jasmine I think I am following you around!!!! Not intentionally of course. Rick, I am the shin splint queen having suffered some horrific bouts of it, particularly during marathon training. The most absolute rule of all is ICE ICE ICE and anti-inflammatories. It is winter here in the southern hemisphere so after every run I stand up to my knees in an icy pool which at the moment is a bit green. In the summer it is the bags of frozen peas (the one I remind myself not to cook for the children) tucked into the knee high socks for 20 minutes. Very attractive. And of course make sure your shoes aren't worn out and antagonising the problem. I really don't think stretches or exercise did anything for me - don't do any now - but haven't had a bout since the adoption of the cold treatment immediately after my run finishes. It ain't comfortable but it works. Good luck. Deidre PS I only use anti-inflamms very occasionally - as the advert says "pain is nature's warning" and I am not a big fan of masking symptoms with medication
2004-08-05 9:06 AM

Veteran
Albury, Oz
Rick what is your Latin quote? If it is "Only a stupid person would ask" I guess I just bought it :-)
2004-08-05 9:45 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
windsor, ontario
I have just recently got over shin splints...Ice definitely...but stretching also helps. If you dont lengthen the tendons, they will just contract again, when you start back and, well, you know. Two exercises I tried were: sitting on knees (preferably on yoga mat) and bending backwards (think back of head touching heels) and hold for about 30-45 seconds (hurts but works) and the other one is to lay a sock flat on ground, and starting from top of sock, 'scrunch' sock towards you by your toes, bit by bit... you will feel this in the front of your shins. Sounds goofy but strenghens the front muscles to help counteract your powerful calves (which is the cause of shin splints, the imbalance of strength b/w calve muscle and shin muscles)...I also used a 'thumper' massager about 15 minutes a night on the calves and shins...that seemed to help too...hope it works out ok...they suck

d
2004-08-05 11:22 AM
in reply to: #43949

New user

Boston
darylljsmith - 2004-08-05 9:45 AM

I also used a 'thumper' massager about 15 minutes a night on the calves and shins...that seemed to help too...hope it works out ok...they suck

d

Me too! Me too! I have shin splints!!! I'll try anything, but... What's a 'thumper' massager?!

2004-08-05 12:21 PM

Jefferson City, TN
My signature quote is from Origen, an early Christian historian and philosopher. It is translated "Faith Proceeds Intelligence."

Now about this ice. I'm game for anything, but when should I do it? I run/bike in the mornings and usually have to immediately get ready for work and head out the door. Would I still benefit from the ice once I got home in the evenings?

BTW, thanks for the suggestions. Once again, this site (and its members) are very helpful.

Thanks,
Rick
2004-08-05 1:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Seattle, WA
Ice is always going to help heal, but I think it would be ideal to do it immediately after. Like someone suggested...get a small bag of peas or crushed ice, put it in a pair of high socks (soccer, baseball...take your pick). That way you can walk around and still be icing without having to hold it to your leg.

I see a lot of college athletes with ice strapped to their legs with plastic wrap as well...maybe that would help.
2004-08-05 2:01 PM
in reply to: #43996

User image

Extreme Veteran
windsor, ontario
thumper massager is also called a 'percussion' massager...hand held, with two knobs on end that 'thump' the affected area...really beats you up, but works great...mine is homedics, which you can find just about anywhere..about 50$

d
2004-08-05 3:52 PM

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA
Sorry guys, but my professors in college would be disappointed if I didn't post. I'm a certified athletic trainer and RN, and I have to put my two cents in about "shin splints."

Namely, they don't exist as an injury. Not that I don't believe your legs don't hurt. But, it's a collective term for any number of injuries that affect the lower leg and foot. It could be a tendonitis, muscle strain, stress fracture (!) etc etc etc. Overall, the best treatment is ice and rest and figure out what's causing your pain and then doing something to change it. Worn out shoes are a common offender, as well as overtraining and just bad mechanics (either by training or genetics -- flat feet for one).

And, if nothing you're doing is helping even with rest and treatment, please get it checked out by a physician. It may take some investigative work to find out what's causing you problems, but minimizing the amount of time you're in pain and you need to take off from training will be well worth it.

Good luck!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Shin Splints II Rss Feed