United States
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 7h 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:15 am. I think I woke up before my alarm clock did. Got my gear on and had a big bowl of oatmeal. Got to the race at 5:30 am and looked for my friends.
Event warmup:

THe race start line had corrals for the different designations, platinum, gold, silver and bronze. I found my friend Jen who was in the gold corral and sneaked in there as the gold corral was already full and closed. I got there about 5:30 and waited for the start at 7:00. Parked the bike and walked around a little, potty break, and found my other friends that were lining up. I expected the weather to be really cold, but the temp was 56 and being surrounded by 6,000 other riders, it wasn't that cold. Pre-race ceremonies included the Surgeon General Richard Carmona, and Floyd Landis. It was so cool to know he was there, but he couldn't ride because he just had hip surgery. 7:00 came and the race started!
Bike
  • 7h 02m 53s
  • 109 miles
  • 15.47 mile/hr
Comments:

This race was fantastic! The weather was great. I was a little concerned about riding with 8,000 other people, but it wasn't bad at all. It was a bit cold when we started but I had plenty of warm gear. Pace started out good, around 18 mph, then at mile 8 we hit the first dry river crossing. It was super dusty and sandy. We had to carry our bikes over the crossing because of thorns. There was an aid station there and mariachis playing. it was pretty festive despite the dust. Got across the crossing and had to take my shoes and socks off to get the dirt out. Headed out then around mile 13 there was rider down, the bike patrol was around him directing the riders around the accident. Paramedics were there too. Poor guy, he was in rough shape. I continued riding and hit the 30 mile aid station. Got some water and pretzels and headed out. There were "go Tucson Tri-girls" signs along the way and PirateGirl and Trigirls were standing there with a cowbell. (Thanks Elaine and Holly!) It is nice to have a cheering section. Started the first big climb to Old Spanish Trail and Freeman at the Saguaro National Park. There were more Tri-Girls signs up there and at the top of the hill were two more tri-girls cheering. Made the climb up the hill easier. Then a fast downhill to Sabino Canyon and the next river crossing at Canyon Ranch. This crossing was narrower than the first but not as dusty. There was an aid station there, so I stopped and got some oranges and water. There was no gatorade at any of the aid stations. Got the pavement and cleaned out my shoes and socks again. Then the most hellacious hill at Snyder Hill. It was short, but really steep. There were people falling off their bikes and some walking up the hill. Got over that hill and continued on to the next aid station at the Fire Station where they were making pancakes. This aid station was at the halfway point, and I have to say I got a little emotional here realizing I was actually doing this race and that I was halfway done. Got over that little drama and continued down Ina to Oracle. Then started the next climb to Rancho Vistoso. After this climb I noticed my legs were getting tired so I broke out the endurolytes. Love those endurolytes. I felt much better and continued down the fast descent on Tangerine to the I-10 frontage road. I drafted off and on as groups went by and made some really good time here. Stopped at one more aid station for some fruit and downed a hammer gel. Got my legs back and continued the 13 miles to the finish. I was sooooo happy to see the finish line. I got a little emotional as I got the finish line, my lower lip was probably quivering, and I couldn't believe it that I actually rode the 109 miles. During the race I kept telling myself I was never doing this again, and that I was going to stop training for a while, and that I was not going to do that half-marathon next month. But after it was all over, and having thought about it the next day, I loved every minute of that ride, even though I did all of it solo. I think I talked to two people the entire ride. I had estimated it would take me 7 hours to finish, and I finished 3 minutes within my goal, but I missed getting gold by those 3 minutes. Well, I guess I have a goal for next year.
What would you do differently?:

This was an awesome race. I would recommend it to anyone to loves to ride in gorgeous weather and scenery. The aid station volunteers were wonderful. The aid stations were well stocked. The course was marked very well and the law enforcement was incredible. The only thing I would do differently is not carry so much food with me. I had a gel flask full of gel, 3 packets of gel, two packets of clif-bloks, a bottle of perpetuem and a bottle of heed and a camelback with water and two peanut butter and honey sandwiches. I only ate the clif bloks and two hammergels. Having all of that on my bike made it heavier to carry across the river crossings. What can I say, I don't like to be hungry.
Post race
Warm down:

Went up to my office, which was right next door to the start line, and cleaned up and changed clothes, drank some recoverite, and went back to the finish line to pick up my medal and get some food.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Probably all of the extra food and water on the bike.

Event comments:

There were aid stations every 8-10 miles. Very well stocked, but no sports drink, just water. Lots of fruit, cookies, pretzels. As soon as you came to an aid station, a volunteer would greet and hold your bike for you while you stayed at the aid station. This was fantastic! They had pitchers of water to fill your waterbottles or camelbaks. The aid stations were fantastic!! One of the aid stations at a fire station were cooking pancakes!

Last updated: 2006-06-11 12:00 AM
Biking
07:02:53 | 109 miles | 15.47 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: The course had all kinds of surfaces. It started out smooth, then we had to cross a dry river bed. That was a mess, very dusty and my shoes got full of sand. Then back on smooth road. The next part of the course was very rough and lots of potholes. Then smooth until we had to cross another dry creek bed. Then smooth the rest of the way.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-11-19 8:24 PM

Extreme Veteran
AZ
Subject: First Magnus El Tour de Tucson

2006-11-19 10:56 PM
in reply to: #603553

User image

Mesa
Subject: RE: First Magnus El Tour de Tucson
Great job! You deserved a good race after the tire problems at Fountain mountain. Admiralable job well done!
2006-11-20 10:56 AM

User image

Elite
Tucson, AZ

Congrats on a great race! You did awesome! 109 miles is a tremendous accomplishment.

That was me and Holly with the Tri Girls poster and the cowbell. The cops came at about 10am to bust us, as some grumpy lady in the trailer park wasn't happy and complained. But the riders loved it, so it was well worth it.

2006-11-20 11:00 AM

User image

Expert
Central New York
Sounds like a great ride. From where I'm sitting, that's an amazing pace, too. Congratulations.
2006-11-20 12:34 PM

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
Awesome ride! Sounds like a ton of fun- I'm glad you had such a positive experience! Great way to keep up the pace too! Makes me want to go do one
2006-11-21 9:42 AM
in reply to: #604030

Extreme Veteran
AZ

jazz82482 - 2006-11-20 11:34 AM Awesome ride! Sounds like a ton of fun- I'm glad you had such a positive experience! Great way to keep up the pace too! Makes me want to go do one

Are there any centuries in San Diego?  I would love to do one there.

2006-11-21 10:09 AM

Pro
AZ
Awesome Ride!!! I loved reading about it, and how it made you feel!  I think I would have been the same way!!  So proud of you for doing a great job and having such a great race!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » First Magnus El Tour de Tucson Rss Feed