General Discussion Race Reports! » 9TH ANNUAL 5-K STAMPEDE THROUGH CLIFTON RACE AND HEALTH WALK Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

9TH ANNUAL 5-K STAMPEDE THROUGH CLIFTON RACE AND HEALTH WALK - Run

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Clifton, New Jersey
United States
Clifton Recreation Department
44F / 7C
Overcast
Total Time = 32m 8s
Overall Rank = 21/50
Age Group = 30-39
Age Group Rank = 5/5
Pre-race routine:

woke up at 7am - put water on to boil for my organic decaf green tea, peeled a banana, but ate about two bites and it wasn't feeling right, so i put it in the fridge for later - started tea brewing. i was captain cougher that morning. phelgm all over the place ??? i have no idea what that was about because i'm not sick. while hacking and trying not to wake up the whole house, i got dressed (noticing that my usual favorite running bra was in the wash - grrr! - so i spent time looking for the #2 bra, which also was not clean - double grrr! finally i opted to improvise with the 3rd favorite which i have to double-up with a workout bra top) layered w/two short sleeved tees and a long sleeved, put on my shorts, warm up pants, sneaks took a couple gulps of water and grabbed the dog's leash to go outside to warm up. brrrr! it was chilly! brisk walk up valley road until i felt like i could run, then ran for 20 mins at a slow jog until i broke a sweat. came back home, drank my tea, woke up my family and headed over to race site. kept coughing after i got home, which kind of worried me a tad.
Event warmup:

checked in, got bib # and goodie bag. hit bathrooms (yay! a real toilet and running water, no portajohns!)
threw stuff in car... then stretched a bit, i felt cold again, so i ran around the beginning of the course until i felt warm. kept drinking water.
my right contact lens was bothering me and i considered running (driving)home to change it, but didn't want to lose my parking spot. called home, but my peeps were already on their way, so i just dealt.
at about 20 mins before the start time, jorge and brianna showed up.
i stashed my car keys and cell phone in the truck and kept marching in place to stay warm before the race started.
Run
  • 32m 8s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 10m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

i started out slowly, just wanted to get in a groove. i knew the first mile would feel yucky since that's how its been on my training runs. saw (my husband) jorge and (my daughter) brianna about halfway into the first mile or so, i waved and i think jorge took a couple of pictures. i was all alone for the rest of the race, the pack was way ahead of me and i kept trying to catch up with a woman who ran w/her dog the first mile, but i never caught her. when i saw the first mile marker and my split of 10:25, i knew i was at a good pace to beat my danskin 5k time. so i kept going. tried to pick it up in fact, but my splits were all even, so maybe it just felt like i was running faster. got a side stitch after the hill coming into the third mile, tried to breathe through it - it subsided but never went fully away. even so, i was able to sprint to the finish, and yes, i cried a little because of my time.
What would you do differently?:

i might push harder from the start.
this was my first stand-alone 5k so i was focused on how well i had warmed up - my lungs could've probably handled a faster pace.
overall i'm happy since i took 2 minutes off my 5k portion of danskin.
Post race
Warm down:

didn't really warm-down or re-hydrate properly, and paid the price w/a migraine. it went away in an hour after going home, but it sucked getting it.
there were bagels and other good food after the race, the award portion was a bit sloppy/unorganized, but i wasn't a good judge of that since i was getting the headache from hell during that. we left before they announced all the winners.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

working the night before a race. i didn't rest properly since i got to sleep about 11:45 and i kept waking up thinking i would oversleep or something equally stupid.
not taking the time to go change my defective contact lens because it bothered me the whole race.

Event comments:

i am happy i signed up for this race. it gave me something to train for after danskin. i helped support my local high school track/cross country team. overall, a good experience... i will definitely do it again next year.

i don't know my overall rank - so the rank i've listed is just among the women who ran. i was last in my age group - so that's something to change next time.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2006-10-03 12:00 AM
Running
00:32:08 | 03.1 miles | 10m 22s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/5
Overall: 0/50
Performance: Good
mile 1: 10:25 mile 2: 10:29 mile 3.1: 11:07
Course: minor hill at the middle of mile 1 and a slightly steeper one beginning of mile 3.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2006-11-20 9:21 AM

User image

Master
Clifton, NJ
Subject: 9TH ANNUAL 5-K STAMPEDE THROUGH CLIFTON RACE AND HEALTH WALK

2006-11-20 3:04 PM
in reply to: #603774

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: 9TH ANNUAL 5-K STAMPEDE THROUGH CLIFTON RACE AND HEALTH WALK
Nice Race Mary!  I'm so proud of you for improving your time by so much.  That definetly desrved a few tears.  All your hard work is definetly paying off.  Good job.
2006-11-21 7:14 AM

User image

Expert
Williamsburg, VA

Mary you did a great job on the race and improving your time is always what we work for. Glad that you had fun.  Your killer workouts really have helped.

2006-11-21 2:07 PM

User image

Master
New Jersey
Great job Mary.

Nothing like supporting the CHS track team. Reminds me of the good ol' days hanging out at Clifton Stadium in what we called "track practice." :-)
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 9TH ANNUAL 5-K STAMPEDE THROUGH CLIFTON RACE AND HEALTH WALK Rss Feed