UK Triathlon Forum England » UK BTers...how many of us are there out there? Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 7

2010-07-02 6:17 AM
in reply to: #2955014

User image

Regular
Essex, England
Subject: RE: UK BTers...how many of us are there out there?
What did you think of the Sevenoaks event?
I have raced it a few times (a number of years back) and love the run course, especially the path back to the car park at the end... Sprint up there!!! Hell you're near the end you can die then!

Hey Chris
my 2nd year doing Sevenoaks and it is a superb event. The run is all pain for me and to be honest I could walk up that path faster than a lot of people were running it. Its a tough race due to the hills ( I live in the flatlands) and being in April you never know what the weather will be like. I started with the temp at 40'F and finished the run at 75'F. The early starters had frost on the ground!! Worthy of its award of race of the year

2010-07-02 6:49 AM
in reply to: #2957385

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2010-07-19 8:13 AM
in reply to: #603913

32 yr old from Sheffield here. I was training for triathlons a few years back and completed the Sevenoaks sprint in 2006. Various reasons stopped my training and kept it stopped but I am now finally ready to get back to it. Heading out for a run tomorrow and planning to get back in the pool later this week.

I knew I held on to the bike for a reason Wink
2010-07-20 1:12 PM

evening all. just signed up on the bt web site and found this section.

after taking part in several marathons i'm making the move over to triathlon. not taken part in any events yet but have signed up for my 1st triathlon next year. i@ve jumped straight in at the deep end and signed up for ironman europe in frankfurtSealed 
2010-07-20 3:37 PM
in reply to: #2992679

Extreme Veteran
London
silverback25 - 2010-07-20 7:12 PM

evening all. just signed up on the bt web site and found this section.

after taking part in several marathons i'm making the move over to triathlon. not taken part in any events yet but have signed up for my 1st triathlon next year. i@ve jumped straight in at the deep end and signed up for ironman europe in frankfurtSealed 

Good work, mate!

I'm just getting back into tri's and have signed up for HIM Switzerland and IM Regensburg next year so similar boat!
2010-07-21 6:31 AM

Hi all,

New to Tri this year and 5 weeks into a BT 20 week 3x Sprint plan. I'm a 41 y.o. ex rugby player so carrying a lot of muscle (and fat) around at the moment and finding the running and biking hard work, especially the hills. I have no previous Tri experience but can swim freestyle, ride and run so I guess that qualifies me

I'm based in Leeds near Roundhay Park so no excuses for not training as it's a fantastic place to run, or ride. Not allowed to swim there but not far from a swimming pool. Not sure yet if I am going to sign up for the Brigg Sprint Tri in September or wait until next year and sign for the Hull Sprint Tri in April 2011, it all depends on how the running goes really. I'm quite competitive and won't be happy been a back of packer even in my first race

Just about to head off to Spain on holiday for 5 weeks with the family and the wife has agreed I can take my bike so I can keep the training going, really looking forward to that. If there is anyone else in the Leeds area that is just starting out that fancies meeting up for a ride out then drop me PM or post here. Also if anyone has any experience of Leeds and Bradford Tri club I would appreciate some feedback, thinking of joining when I get back from Spain.

Martin

2010-08-02 4:10 PM
in reply to: #2953234

Regular
Hertford,Hertfordshire
Hey Pashda. how is the training going for the Vitruvian. I have heard the name of the race a lot but dont know much about it.

how lomg is it and whats so special about it
2010-08-05 5:29 PM

New user

Solihull

Hi,

Been lurking for a couple of months so thought I had better say hello. 38 years old and wanted to do a tri for at least 10 years but beer, kids and breathing water during front crawl kept getting in the way. Cycled on and off for years (100 mile charity ride a few years back) and ran during winters  (only 20 mins max). Signed up for Warwickshire Tri in October but got to pull out to attend a wedding so doing a 5k fun run in September and a 10k at Long Marston in November to get a feel for pacing and hopefully start first tri in the spring.

Gaz

2010-08-06 8:27 AM
in reply to: #3019290

Regular
Essex, England
MAC36 - 2010-08-02 10:10 PM Hey Pashda. how is the training going for the Vitruvian. I have heard the name of the race a lot but dont know much about it.

how lomg is it and whats so special about it

Hi MAC. The training was going really well but the last month has been very patchy and not really enough volume to be honest. Got sidetracked by winning a place in the Dextro ITU race in Hyde Park and doing the Olympic distance race there which was great fun.
Vitruvian has been voted race of the year for about 7 years running in 220triathlon mag. Apparently great atmosphere, super venue, tough bike section. Its just under a half ironman. 1.9km swim, 85km bike and 21km run. Apparently the hills on the bike make up for the shorter distance and it is a fairly tough challenge.
It sells out in about 3 days every year so is very popular.

what races are you doing ?
dave
2010-09-09 1:28 PM

Regular
Everywhere

Edited by Blinddave 2010-09-09 1:49 PM
2010-09-14 9:13 AM

Champion
Chicago
Two weeks, and I'll be a London BTer. Craziness ...

OK so what's the first tri I should do over there??? Are there any in October or November I should know about? I need to get up and running ASAP people!!!

2010-09-14 11:43 AM
in reply to: #3097419

Regular
Essex, England

Sounds good Mr2Tony

To be honest after september the tri season in the UK is pretty much over until the end of March.

There will be lots of Duathlons and some aquathons all around the country. 31st Oct there is a duathlon in Hyde Park, London run by the Serpentine Triathlon club.
If you are super fit there is the Winter ballbuster in Surrey just south of London. duathlon of 8miles/24 miles/8 miles with big hils in it. run by humanrace.co.uk
I would also look on tritalk.co.uk for chat on various events and who is racing. They are a supportive bunch and often go to events even if they aren't racing to cheer on the forum members.
Hope you get settled into England ok

2010-09-14 2:46 PM
in reply to: #3097874

Champion
Chicago
Pashda - 2010-09-14 11:43 AM

Sounds good Mr2Tony

To be honest after september the tri season in the UK is pretty much over until the end of March.

There will be lots of Duathlons and some aquathons all around the country. 31st Oct there is a duathlon in Hyde Park, London run by the Serpentine Triathlon club.
If you are super fit there is the Winter ballbuster in Surrey just south of London. duathlon of 8miles/24 miles/8 miles with big hils in it. run by humanrace.co.uk
I would also look on tritalk.co.uk for chat on various events and who is racing. They are a supportive bunch and often go to events even if they aren't racing to cheer on the forum members.
Hope you get settled into England ok

Thanks mucho. I actually will look into the Du in Hyde Park and the Winter Ballbuster. Sounds like fun. Why does one have to be super fit for it? And could you define `super fit'?
2010-09-15 3:31 AM
in reply to: #3098346

Regular
Essex, England
Thanks mucho. I actually will look into the Du in Hyde Park and the Winter Ballbuster. Sounds like fun. Why does one have to be super fit for it? And could you define `super fit'?

Super fit is tough to define I guess. The course is based on a notorious road called the Zig-zag up Box Hill which rises steeply up 200m to the top. you run up it once on each leg and cycle up it 3 times. If you like hills you will do well. I live in Essex which is very flat and dont get a lot of practice on hills. plus I dont like running so 2 lots of 8 miles is too much for me !!

good luck
2010-09-15 11:09 AM
in reply to: #3099184

Champion
Chicago
Pashda - 2010-09-15 3:31 AM

Super fit is tough to define I guess. The course is based on a notorious road called the Zig-zag up Box Hill which rises steeply up 200m to the top. you run up it once on each leg and cycle up it 3 times. If you like hills you will do well. I live in Essex which is very flat and dont get a lot of practice on hills. plus I dont like running so 2 lots of 8 miles is too much for me !!

good luck

I hate hills. I HATE THEM! But I did Horribly Hilly Hundreds and survived that, and three trail marathons. Hmm I think I could do it but I would need to get in the hill training for it. I signed up for the Paris Marathon in April, though. I hear it's flat!!!
2010-09-15 12:39 PM
in reply to: #633852

Veteran
Hemel Hempstead, UK.

glennbb - 2006-12-27 3:30 PM Hey guys, another Brit just joined the site. I live in Hemel Hempstead(just north of London on the map). Decided yesterday to get my arse out of the PC chair and back into training, I set myself a goal of competing in a standard distance Triathlon by Sept/Oct 2007. Hope to contribute to the site and increase my post count. Glenn.

Oh my, how naive I was, almost 4 years and many injuries later, I've managed to claw my way back to a point where I can exercise again, no grand plans or ambitions at the moment, one day at a time I'm afraid, currently putting in about 6.5 miles a day on the bike with the occasional 13 mile trip, need to lose more weight before I can start running again, I will be swimming at some point.

It's even more frustrating because I pointed my Lilbro at Tri's and he's done some, ah well, I'll keep at it and hopefully will get there.

2011-04-20 2:23 AM
in reply to: #3099184

New user

Halstead

Pashda - 2010-09-15 9:31 AM

good luck

Hiya Pashda, i've just joined the site, live in Essex, have just been on my first bike ride in 15 years and have found some hills round by me! Ok, ok, so you may compare them to mole hills but I tell you, Halstead High Street certainly takes it out of me Embarassed

For some reason i'm just about to sign up for the Braintree Triathlon here in Halstead, which is in 6 weeks time, so this may be a baptism by fire with respect to Triathlons for me.

2011-04-20 7:31 AM

Regular
Essex, England

Hi Roy

good luck with your first race I am sure you will do just fine. 6 weeks isnt long to train for it but you should be able to get enough done to ensure you can finish. A couple of my club are entered for that race as well.

Enjoy

Edited by Pashda 2011-04-20 7:36 AM
2011-04-20 7:48 AM
in reply to: #3456061

New user

Halstead

Finishing is all i'm after at the moment I think. I just wanted to get one under my belt while i'm eager and this just seemed too good a chance to pass up.

I ran the Silverstone Half Marathon last month, so it's really just the cycling and swimming i'm worried about. Still, maybe if I keep it up i'll got for the London Tri next, I think that's in September so it'll give me far longer to be able to train properly.

Which club are you in?

2011-04-26 7:27 AM

Regular
Essex, England

I am in the Blackwater tri club which is based in Maldon Essex.

not a huge club but seems to be growing every year.

You may not be able to do London this year as it will probably be sold out already.

2011-04-26 5:40 PM

Hi All,

I rarely use this site but after trawling through this thread and noticed some fellow Essex residents. I'm based in Hornchurch - anyone nearby?

2011-04-29 11:54 AM

Regular

Hi, I'm a fellow UK BT'er although I am a quiet one (although have a bad habit of reading threads at least once a day ...... I Just missed this one!)

I'm currently just north of lincoln - only just moved in the last month! I haven't yet competed in a triathlon - or indeed any type of sport! I have my first triathlon on the 4th September at the North West Triathlon.

I got entered for it, but it was because I may have accidently signed my husband up to a half marathon last year - which he completed and in a time of 2 hours 30, which considering 45% of it was up hill and it was the furthest distance he'd every done was amazing :D

Now I've started to get a lot fitter I'm really enjoying exercising - me and my husband work well together - although I do still find it odd going running with him because he'l stay at my speed and encourage me when I'm slowing down etc - the problem is Im a REALLY slow runner at the moment and know he could go a lot faster.

2011-05-04 2:31 AM
in reply to: #3473504

Champion
Chicago
purpleshoes2 - 2011-04-29 11:54 AM

Hi, I'm a fellow UK BT'er although I am a quiet one (although have a bad habit of reading threads at least once a day ...... I Just missed this one!)

I'm currently just north of lincoln - only just moved in the last month! I haven't yet competed in a triathlon - or indeed any type of sport! I have my first triathlon on the 4th September at the North West Triathlon.

I got entered for it, but it was because I may have accidently signed my husband up to a half marathon last year - which he completed and in a time of 2 hours 30, which considering 45% of it was up hill and it was the furthest distance he'd every done was amazing :D

Now I've started to get a lot fitter I'm really enjoying exercising - me and my husband work well together - although I do still find it odd going running with him because he'l stay at my speed and encourage me when I'm slowing down etc - the problem is Im a REALLY slow runner at the moment and know he could go a lot faster.

Hey that's my birthday! Really if he wanted to run alone, he would run alone. I'm a faster runner than my girlfriend and I run with her because I like running with her. Of course she kicks my butt in the water so it's all good. Welcome to the site!

Edit: Also, since everybody else has the Essex connection, I just wanna say that I play baseball (yes, baseball, not cricket or rounders) for the Essex Arrows in Waltham Abbey.

Edited by mr2tony 2011-05-04 2:34 AM
2011-05-30 4:38 PM

Hi, my name is Scott, I am from York.I have just found the site and I am a long way off my first triathlon. But is my goal to compete next year in a sprint event. I am overweight and have no fitness hence the year long plan. You can see more info at sofatotriathlon.com.Does anyone know of events or groups in the Yorkshire area?I look forward to hearing from you all.Scott B.
2011-06-08 4:04 PM
in reply to: #3524649

Regular
Pembroke, Wales, UK
Sofatotriathlon - 2011-05-30 10:38 PM Hi, my name is Scott, I am from York.I have just found the site and I am a long way off my first triathlon. But is my goal to compete next year in a sprint event. I am overweight and have no fitness hence the year long plan. You can see more info at sofatotriathlon.com.Does anyone know of events or groups in the Yorkshire area?I look forward to hearing from you all.Scott B.

hi Scott, i want to encourage you, you can do a sprint overweight and unfit - i've done a few since 2006 and still comfort eat - one  of my biggest problem was learning to swim, so i went to evening classes (in a pool). But having just read back my comments here, i see my real problem is what i eat!
Phil (from Pembrokeshire)
New Thread
UK Triathlon Forum England » UK BTers...how many of us are there out there? Rss Feed  

of 7