Overland Park, Kansas
United States
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 53m 25s
Overall Rank = 275/800
Age Group = 20-24
Age Group Rank = 10/60
Pre-race routine:

Awake by 6am. Drove to race course and walked around. It was cold, and it was a smaller event so there wasn't a whole lot of activity. Lots of Port-a-potties. Good thing, too!
Event warmup:

no warm uo, 13 miles of running, plenty of time to warm up
Run
  • 1h 53m 25s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

Felt really good. I concentrated on slowing my pace early on and focusing on keeping a steady nine mile pace. They didn't line the runners up by pace 5min miles, 6min miles, etc. So we were all in one huge group fast and slow. When the gun went off and for the first couple of miles it was traffic traffic traffic. But looking back i think that was a good thing because it forced my pace to be slowed early on. It was bad when it came to the drink stations because you actually had to wait in line to get water. I ended up only stopping twice i think for water because i didn't want to waste the :30 sec- :60 sec to get the water. I kept watching the miles go by and I felt physically really good. I just had to keep my mind focused on the task at hand. During the race there were a few interesting sights. Four lady's running in prom dresses, a couple runners with feathers sticking out from their shorts (turkeys), one observer dressed as a turkey, but the most interesting was the barefoot runners. Yes that's right barefoot runners, two of them, full marathon. I had heard of these people but never actually seen them before. Bare feet, no socks, below 40 degrees, BRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!! About mile 9 I was still feeling good and started to get a little anxious about finishing the race. Started to pick it up a little through miles 9-11. Thinking i could hold that pace and still bring a little more in the last mile. About 11.5 in the fatigue hit and i had to slow it a little, i picked it up a little to soon and didn't finish as strong as i would have liked. I still felt 100 percent better in this run than i did in my first half. It turned out being a sunny day and a good run.
What would you do differently?:

work on being patient, racing/pacing strategy
Post race
Warm down:

Was warm at the finish, but quickly got cold once body temp dropped and i was standing outside in sweaty running clothes. Had to wait for my friend to come pick me up, so i was kinda stuck, luckily the had warm coffee, so i drank lots of it.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

water stations. Needed to drink more, but didn't want to waste the time. At the 10 mile marker they had GU, but they people with the gu were after the people with the water, if you didn't have a cup of water or if you had already downed it you didn't have anything to chase the gu with. I guess i should have paid better attention and grabbed some water, but it wasn't obvious at first that they had the gu either.

Event comments:

A few more volunteers at aid stations would have been nice, but i understand its probably hard to get volunteers to stand outside in teh cold.

Last updated: 2006-11-21 12:00 AM
Running
01:53:25 | 13.1 miles | 08m 40s  min/mile
Age Group: 10/60
Overall: 0/800
Performance: Good
Course: The course was fairly flat. It began in a corporate park and then onto a paved running/bike trail, on to some neghborhood streets, and back on to the trail.l Overall i would say there was more incline than the last race i did, but there weren't any single big hills. The running trail had some small rollers i would compare to the paved running trail at Forest Park here in St. Louis.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-11-21 10:35 PM

User image

Expert
Phoenix, AZ
Subject: Gobbler Grind

2006-11-22 12:08 PM
in reply to: #605953

User image

Master
Des Moines, Iowa
Subject: RE: Gobbler Grind
Congrats on your race!  I thought about doing this one, but it wouldn't work with my schedule.  Maybe next year.  Would you do it again?
2006-11-22 12:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, KS
Good job! Glad the run went well... I wasn't running, but I was a street marshall- and cheering section- around mile 6.5. That was fun, but very cold... I also saw the barefoot guys (crazy!), and was at the finish when one of them came in. He was still looking stong- I wanted to see how thick the callouses must be on the bottoms of his feet, but that would have been kind of weird!

Anyway, congrats on the race and Happy Thanksgiving!
2006-11-24 9:58 AM

User image

Expert
St. Louis

Nice job, kerri.  Just the 1st of many PR's to come in this distance I'm sure!

~B

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Gobbler Grind Rss Feed