United States
41F / 5C
Precipitation
Total Time = 20m 7s
Overall Rank = 10/299
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 0/
Event warmup:

Jogged half the course, with some strides. My socks got all wet, so I took them off. There were many more people than they expected, so they started late--nobody knew how much to warm up, but the director just walked up and apologized, then said, ready, set, go! The front of the line was all taken up with kids.
Run
  • 20m 6s
  • 5 kms
  • 04m 01s  min/km
Comments:

My focus was not to go out too fast. I went out a little fast on the uphill first 1/10th of a mile, where I was at 5:40 pace. So I blew that, but not as badly as I usually do. My pacing was pretty good the rest of the way.
What would you do differently?:

Go out a little more slowly.
Post race
Warm down:

Ran the course backward at 8:29 m/m. Got a little lost, because they had taken down the signs in the first mile, which had lots of turns.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The course was wet, with gradual uphills and steep downhills. Normally I would like it that way, but with the wet road and leaves and road paint, it was hard to go fast on some of the downhills without fear of slipping. I never did slip, but I didn't attack them like I normally would.

Event comments:

They got way more runners than they expected. This was to be a low-key race--it was only $12 for race day registration, and they didn't even close the streets. We were told to run on the sidewalks where we could.

Last updated: 2006-11-23 12:00 AM
Running
00:20:06 | 05 kms | 04m 01s  min/km
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/299
Performance: Average
Never saw a marker for mile 1. Mile 2 was at 13:09--6:35 pace. Last 1.11 was 6:56--6:12 pace. My plan was to run 6:34, 6:24, 6:14, and I thought I was good when I came close on the uphill portion. I couldn't speed up enough on the downhill part, though.
Course: A loop: uphill out, downhill back.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?