Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Run
  • 4h 49m 7s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 11m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

The 1 mile downhill in mile 19 stinks. Totally beat up the knees, ankles, and quads. 4 major hills in the last 10k, starting with cardiac hill. Didn't seem like there was very much flat land - the grade wasn't that bad, but I almost would've rather had a steep grade to just get it over with.

This was a tough course. A bunch of folks didn't make the 5 hour cutoff. I'd say if you don't think you can do it in 4 1/2 hours, stay home and sample the turkey & fixes while they're cooking.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing.
Post race
Warm down:

Did a dead sprint to chase down a wheel on the loose. Caught it before it ran into anything. One of the support vehicles was changing a flat tire on the next row over. While the two guys were cranking away on the wheel with the flat, the spare started rolling.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Tough course. The downhills beat me up. The uphills are rough. Was at the halfway mark at 2 hr 15 min. Need to work on legs a little more in the gym to build up the muscles a little more.

Event comments:

The volunteers on this course are the best! Very supportive.

Last updated: 2006-11-07 12:00 AM
Running
04:49:07 | 26.2 miles | 11m 02s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: 90% of the Olympic route. Start at Turner Field on Capitol Ave headed North. Capitol Ave becomes Piedmont. Follow this for about 8 miles to Peachtree St. Turn right. Go about 5 miles to between Chamblee Tucker and Miller Rd, turn around. Continue on Peachtree to Mitchell St. Turn left. Hang a right on Capitol Ave - finish line was about .1 mile past the Olympic rings.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-11-23 2:23 PM

User image

Georgia
Subject: Atlanta Marathon

2006-11-23 8:00 PM
in reply to: #607210

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Subject: RE: Atlanta Marathon
Way to go! It's a rough course for sure and I saw a bunch of folks coming down Peachtree who weren't going to make the cutoff - Aid stations packed up and gone and they had to run on the sidewalk? Ouch.

Congrats on taking this one on; It hurts just thinking about it.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Atlanta Marathon Rss Feed