Denver, Colorado
United States
Overcast
Total Time = 37m 11s
Overall Rank = 1745/3853
Age Group = F 30-35
Age Group Rank = 180/482
Pre-race routine:

Morning bowl of Grape Nuts and vanilla yogurt! And sucked on a Power-Ade until I checked in. Note to self - always choose WHITE or CLEAR drinks, because I am a clutz and I will always spill. So many people!!!
Event warmup:

A whole lot a nothin. I have no idea how to warm up for a run. Basically, I stood around watching everyone and then pushed my way up toward the front and waited for go. Soooo many people. They said over 9700 people.
Run
  • 37m 11s
  • 4 miles
  • 09m 18s  min/mile
Comments:

I honestly think that running is pure torture. Mile 1 marker was very elusive, but even worse was trying to get to mile marker 2! After that, I finally felt warmed up... oops. While the third mile was slightly uphill, it didn't feel THAT terrible I suppose. Just because during my final mile I felt that death was the only way out of the race, doesn't mean I ever walked. That was my only goal really. Never to walk. So many people though!
What would you do differently?:

I would warm up. With so many people, I felt the need to get ahead of as many as possible to not get mixed up with the rif-raf. Of course, that meant I started out way too fast so by the end I was going way too slow.
Post race
Warm down:

uh, again, not so good at this. It basically consisted of visiting all the shwag and food tents on the way back to my car, hello, I paid for that right?

What limited your ability to perform faster:

ha ha ha Training???

Event comments:

Like I said, a LOT of people!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2006-11-23 12:00 AM
Running
00:37:11 | 04 miles | 09m 18s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/482
Overall: 0/3853
Performance: Average
I have no clue yet what time I did it in. I don't wear a HR monitor or watch during a race because I figure what is the point? Its not like I'm going to slow down! I assume I am always going too fast and my HR is too high, it is all about how much pain you can bear. Am i right???
Course: Course around the park. A freakin HUGE park! Mostly ran on the street until I felt the possibility of shin splints and then I ran on the dirt path next to the road. Normally I would say it was flat, but somehow I felt like I climbed Everest! Did I mention how many people were there?
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-11-23 3:22 PM

User image

Master
Colorado
Subject: 2006 Mile High Turkey Trot

2006-11-24 10:17 AM
in reply to: #607233

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2006-11-24 5:18 PM
in reply to: #607529

Extreme Veteran
Seattle
Subject: RE: 2006 Mile High Turkey Trot
HA... I'm going to have to go back and check how many times that you wrote "so many people".    You had a Great Race.  I'm looking forward to the offical time.  I think mile one is designed especially to weed out the riff-raff.  If you've got the guts or insanity to keep running after that first mile of misery, then your body grants you some heat and endorfines (sp?) and voila, somehow running isn't so bad any more.    Congrats on a terrific run and a great race report.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 2006 Mile High Turkey Trot Rss Feed