USANTC
50F / 10C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 04m 40s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 7/12
Pre-race routine:

Sleep 2 hours, drive 2 hours to Clermont.
No food, just a bit of water, stomach doesn't like running so much.
I was warned not to do NTC events at it would be "all pros". This was nonsense and the other athletes could not have been nicer.
Event warmup:

Shiver a lot.
Hope hills are not too bad (history of ITBS)
Hope gallbladder doesn't act up (seeing surgeon next day)
Run
  • 2h 04m 49s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

The run was just right. I tried to take it easy so as not to irritate any organs or my knee. The knee had about enough hills but the slow pace was fine and I felt good. I stopped running on one particularly steep hill and did the fast walk thing and actually passed people who were running in front of me! Too funny!
What would you do differently?:

Have 1 less organ pre-race :) I have been running with pain in my upper right abdomen for 3 years now and I am done with it! Have already met with surgeon, waiting on surgery center to schedule operation.

Post race
Warm down:

It was slightly alarming that the right side of my abdomen was quite sore and slightly larger than the left side after the race, but it quickly quieted. My knee was sore for 48 hrs post-race but nothing a little Advil couldn't handle and it was fine when I ran today.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

A WHOLE lot of hills!

Event comments:

This was a great little race. I would do it again next year. The fee was remarkably low for a 1/2 mary ($35 2 days pre-race), the volunteers were great, the scenery was awesome. Don't do this race if you are looking for spectators, there are none. Also, the hills and the part where we stopped to allow a bike race to come through (at least 300 riders) would not make this a good choice for a PR.
I also heard complaints there were no porta-potties, I admit I never needed one so I didn't notice, but there were plenty of trees! :)

Last updated: 2006-11-23 12:00 AM
Running
02:04:49 | 13.1 miles | 09m 32s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/12
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: The brochure said the course was "mostly flat with some hills". It should have said there is a flat part where you can park your car, the rest is hills. However, it was LOVELY! Some of the places you could actually convince yourself you were in Tuscany (orchards and lakes) rather than Florida.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-11-23 10:20 PM

User image

Veteran
Tampa, FL
Subject: Gem of the Hills Half Marathon

2006-11-24 6:35 AM
in reply to: #607353

User image

Expert
Orlando, FL
Subject: RE: Gem of the Hills Half Marathon
Hey this sounds like a great race! I live in Orlando and haven't ever heard about it...maybe that's why so few spectators. Maybe I'll try it with you next year...now take care of that gall bladder and get better soonest!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Gem of the Hills Half Marathon Rss Feed