Highlands Ranch, Colorado
United States
Chamber of Commerce of Highlands Ranch
Total Time = 29m 26s
Overall Rank = 343/876
Age Group = Female 50-59
Age Group Rank = 5/24
Pre-race routine:

Same ole ... same ole ... showered because I like to start out fresh and smellin' perty, Muscle Milk 'n Oats with banana for breakfast, a few trips in and out of the house ... did I forget something ... finally in the car and on the way.
Event warmup:

The National Guard led some group stetching exercises ... just like military boot camp!
Run
  • 29m 26s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 09m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

I paced myself well this time and didn't go out too fast (a little applause here because that in itself was a major accomplishment today). The first part of the course was challenging because it was up an incline AND against the wind. I stuck with my plan of increasing my effort at each mile and pushed it hard coming home. I wanted so bad to shave some time off my PR of 29:05 ... it didn't happen ... but it will ... with time and training and experience.
What would you do differently?:

Dress warmer ... oh my gosh ... the temp was 41 when I left the house which is nice for running but the race was in a very open area and the wind came howlin' down ... I froze my butt off.
Post race
Warm down:

Yikes ... as usual ... this got lost in my sprint to the bagel line.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Too many people trying to maneuver through one narrow twisty bike path ... the wind was freezing ... and I was fricken' cold ... but a good training experience for handling those situations.

Event comments:

This was the most disorganized race I've participated in. The race started a half hour late and people were so tired of standing around in the cold wind ... we just wanted to run and get home to our turkey dinner. Then they screwed up the first place finisher, announcing the wrong name, thank goodness this person was not there to accept the medal. Several people brought it to the attention of the official timing company and after a half hour squabble the medal was finally given to the deserving young man who earned it. This was a chip timed race but there wasn't a mat to track the starting time ... just the finishing time ... what's up with that ... and the official time for me is not the time that was showing on the clock when I hit the mat. It took so long to gather the data for the awards ceremony that only a handful of people were even left in the area. Next year I'll do the Mile Hi Turkey Trot which benefits needy families.

Last updated: 2006-11-21 12:00 AM
Running
00:29:26 | 03.1 miles | 09m 29s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/24
Overall: 343/876
Performance:
Course: About 1.5 miles out on neighborhood streets with a steady incline and then back on a twisty bike path with lots of little rollers.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? No