United States
40F / 4C
Precipitation
Total Time = 30m 18s
Overall Rank = 259/10,000
Age Group = 30-39
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

One Cliff Bar for breakfast, along with some Gatorade. I switched from water this year, as I've found that while water keeps me hydrated, I definitely lose lots of salts and nutrients in my races. Gatorade has done a good job at keeping my nutritional levels high.
Event warmup:

Because of the cold and wet weather, I did a little bit of a longer warm-up. A full 12 minutes of easy jogging around the course. Obviously, I did my evening and morning stretching sessions. These seem to have helped tremendously as well.
Run
  • 30m 18s
  • 4.75 miles
  • 06m 23s  min/mile
Comments:

Race went off better than I expected. Because of the rain and cold I didn't really want to get out there and race. Plus, I ran the course in about 38:00 last Saturday, so I wasn't feeling exceptionally peppy either. However, I'm apparently in much better shape that I expected! Overall I feel as though this was an 80-85% effort. I was hesitant to really push up the hill, as I'm usually dead at the 2 mile mark. That was not the case this year. The rest of the race I just tried to stay steady, and use my strength from the 1/2 marathon to pull me through the final 0.75 miles. I was able to do just that. However, all my distance training has left me with very little speed, and I felt as though I was just going all out over the last 1.5 miles. I just couldn't go any faster. Strangely enough, after I finished the race I felt as though I could have gone out and ran the thing again! I think I need some more track work if I plan to do some more 5k's.

Mile splits are as follows:
1 mi: 6:07 6:07
2 mi: 7:08 13:15
3 mi: 6:12 19:27
4 mi: 6:20 25:47
Finish: 4:30 30:18 (6:00 equiv.)

What would you do differently?:

I would have pushed a little harder through the 2nd and 3rd miles. I hesitated up the hill through mile 2, and didn't push the pace down the hill through mile 3. I felt very relaxed and in control the entire time, which shows I could have left some more out on the course.
Post race
Warm down:

Because it was absolutely pouring out (and I couldn't feel my hands) I threw on a dry shirt and my outer jacket for my cool-down, no pants. I ran for about 8 minutes, felt fine, and then put some more dry stuff on.

Event comments:

One of the classic New England Races, up there with the Boston Marathon and Falmouth. The weather is ALWAYS crappy, it's just part of the tradition. Great crowds, great competition. Where else do you find 10+ guys running sub-5 pace? And, for 25 bucks, it's not even all that expensive. Great timing system and results archive.

Last updated: 2006-10-09 12:00 AM
Running
00:30:18 | 04.75 miles | 06m 23s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/10,000
Performance: Good
Course: Flat with one BIG hill for the entire 2nd mile. I've never been able to run this course well, because of that hill.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-11-24 10:45 AM

Providence, RI
Subject: Manchester Road Race

2006-11-24 1:37 PM
in reply to: #607551

User image

Master
CT
Subject: RE: Manchester Road Race

Nice run!!

Agree that this is one of NE's great races. I was registered this year but had to sit out not wanting to compound a nasty chest cold .

I hated missing out on the experience this year.

Edited by stumfossil 2006-11-24 1:38 PM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Manchester Road Race Rss Feed