Rotary Club of Perth
34C / 93F
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 46m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

tried to rehydrate after the wine from the night before. combining a social life and a training life is my goal this summer!
I rode into the city and met up with friends for the start of the race. Not sure if a 14k warm up before a 53k ride is a great idea.
Event warmup:

riding into the city, milling around with friends. being herded like cattle to the start line.
Bike
  • 1h 46m
  • 53 kms
  • 30.00 km/hr
Comments:

some days you ahve good days other days you have bad days. Today was a bad day. I just struggled from the time the gun went off till the time I got off the damn bike at the end. I had decided to stick with my friend doing the Ironman on Sunday. so we rode together from the start. He dropped me climbing the meads hill in Mossie Park.
I had decided to ride the new bike at the last minute which meant I was extra cautious around people who didn't look like they knew what they were doing (which was a fair few people) Just like last year going up Meads hill there were 4 people across the road on mountain bikes and they stopped dead right in front of me. arrgghh again I had to swerve onto the right side of the road to avoid coming off the bike.
After that hill it all started to hurt, the saddle was causing me all sorts of problems I felt like my bum bones were being worn away. I started to get numb hot spots in my feet. which I think is a result of the saddle and my hands started to hurt big time. so it wasn't much fun, but I kept riding.

I've realised that the side bottle cages that I had to put on the new bike because the frame is too msall for normal bottle cages well the one thats on the seat post downtube is almost impossible to get a bottle out of. you have to use your left hand and you can't peddle while you are getting it out otherwise your hand collides with your leg etc. So I'm going to have to look at some other alternative.

the wind was just blowing all day, not hugely strong ubt it was a head wind for all but the last 2 - 3 k's I flew on those last few k'ms with a tail wind behind and knowing i was almost finished and I could get of the stupid saddle. I think I clocked 48k's on the flat.

for some reason I thought I did this ride in 1hr 42 last year and was really really disappointed to cross the line in 1hr 46 this year. (rough time not the exact result will get that when they go up) but when I checked the times I actually did 1hr 46 last year too. Still disappointed that I wasn't faster!
What would you do differently?:

Umm ride faster, get used to my new bike. Figure out a way to get the bottles on my bike. I idnd't drink anywhere near enough for such a hot day.
train more.
Post race
Warm down:

We rode up to a coffe shop and had brunch. then I rode home. phew 14ks in the heat was not fun. I threw myself in the ocean when I got home. brilliant way to warm down.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

my riding ability! not used to my new bike yet. think I may needto adjust the saddle. I said I'd give it 6 weeks to get used to it. thats 3 weeks.

Event comments:

Its a great event to do! My report might seem a bit negative but I'll still do it next year. I just had a bad day.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2006-11-20 12:00 AM
Biking
01:46:00 | 53 kms | 30.00 km/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Wind: Headwind
Course: 1 lap around the River
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 75
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2006-11-26 7:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Perth, Oz
Subject: Great Perth Bike Ride

2006-11-26 7:28 PM
in reply to: #608446

User image

Extreme Veteran
Melbourne
Subject: RE: Great Perth Bike Ride
You did 67 kms on what reads very much like a hangover.
Nice work! Don't be too hard on yourself. At least you had fun the night before.
And you did kind of achieve a goal - mixing the social side of life with training/racing!
2006-11-27 11:22 AM

User image

Expert
Herndon VA

Hey Mel,

Too bad about the race.  QR's stock seats are notrious for being painful.  I was amazed at the difference when I switched out my seat.  For races, I use an Aero bottle between the bars that seems to work well.  I can drink while in the aero position.  Even if the race wasn't that great it was a good training day.  You didn't write about you Dad and the water.  What happened?

Ernie

PS.  I'm interested to see how the socializing and training go during football season.  Go Dockers. 

2006-11-27 4:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Brisbane

I'm glad you like a challenge Mel because you certain made it hard for yourself with this race but you toughed it out and that shows you are a fighter, well done!!!

I hope the Great Perth Ride is a bit more enjoyable next year.

2006-11-28 5:38 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Great Perth Bike Ride Rss Feed