ORRRC
30F / -1C
Sunny
Total Time = 44m 51s
Overall Rank = 1586/4674
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 135/269
Pre-race routine:

Got up, 2 cups of coffee, raisin bagel with peanut butter, a banana. Got everyone else up and drove to the race site (about 30 minutes).
Event warmup:

About 5-10 minutes of jogging since I'd ditched the outer layers. Ran in a long-sleeve wicking tee and running tights. Moved to right in front of the 10 minute pace sign and hoped to meet up with WSM9363 (unsuccessfully).
Run
  • 44m 51s
  • 5 miles
  • 08m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

Hadn't run much (I think WSM9363 and I were working to give the race to the other...)so I was thinking 50 minutes was realistic and 45 a challenging goal. He came in at 45:04 (chip time) but was several minutes behind me during the run.

Was hoping to meet up with WSM9363 (didn't happen), but BAMBAM66 and another relative did the 1-mile run. WSM had a couple others doing the 1-mile run too. My mom came to watch (she held my outer layers during the run) since WSM9363 and I aren't competing together very often.

As we walked up to the race site, we saw a guy wearing a (tri)wetsuit (QR Farmer John I think) and fins. I thought that was pretty cool, but would be a tough way to run a race. Finally passed him a couple hundred yards from the finish (I wonder how fast he'd be in regular running gear?)

Cheered on the wetsuit guy and a few others along the way, but I was trying hard to not blow up this race.
What would you do differently?:

Besided "run more..."? Probably make better arrangements for meeting up with my brother.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked and stretched a bit watching for WSM9363 to finish (didn't see him). Had a couple of cookies and some water before we headed back for Thanksgiving dinner.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training?? I think my pace/HR was much better than my warmer weather races.

Event comments:

One water station (2 miles) that I skipped. We didn't hang around for the post-race awards since Mom had about 50 people coming for dinner in less than 3 hours.

Last updated: 2006-10-31 12:00 AM
Running
00:44:51 | 05 miles | 08m 58s  min/mile
Age Group: 135/269
Overall: 269/4674
Performance: Good
Average 183, peak 190 Rough splits Mile 1--9:38 (about as planned, pretty crowded) Mile 2--19:XX (didn't see the sign) Mile 3--27:20 Mile 4--36:17 (I think)
Course: Flat out and back type course next to the river.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2006-11-26 7:23 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Subject: Turkey Trot

2006-11-26 9:57 PM
in reply to: #608451

User image

Expert
Earth
Subject: RE: Turkey Trot

I should have skipped the potty break, NOT!

I knew about where you would be, but there was no way to get up to you.  If I had gotten there a few minutes faster I could have met up likely.

We will get a few more races in.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Turkey Trot Rss Feed