General Discussion Race Reports! » 31st Annual Cleveland Fall Classic Harlf Marathon & 5k Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

31st Annual Cleveland Fall Classic Harlf Marathon & 5k - Run5k

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Strongsville, Ohio
United States
Cleveland West Road Runners club
38F / 3C
Precipitation
Total Time = 34m 31s
Overall Rank = 168/192
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 11/12
Pre-race routine:

What a morning. We got up and had a 45 minute drive to the race site. It was very cold and we knew it could rain, but was hoping it would hold off. Well it started coming down half way there and Wendy and I just laughed at each other in the car.
Event warmup:

After we registered, we jogged back to the car and sat in there to stay warm and dry for 20 minutes while the half marathoners headed out. About 5 minutes before the 5k, we jogged back to the starting line in the rain and just chuckled. Wendy had on a rain poncho (the only one there with one on) so that was amusing for us.
Run
  • 34m 31s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 11m 06s  min/mile
Comments:

It rained the whole time and actually started to sleet/snow for a while early in the run. That was funny - at least we're hard core! Unfortunately, since I haven't run a lot in the rain, I wasn't running normal. Wendy thinks our strides and landings were awkward. She's probably right. I was being careful to avoid puddles and worried about slipping on the wet cold tar seems in the road so my feet were seldom landing in their normal position. That got to me around mile 2.5 when the whole side of my left thigh started cramping up. It really hurt and I had to walk, skip, run on and off for the last part of the race. Wendy went on a head of me and did great. I stuggled, but still beat my first 5k time by 15 seconds. I'm not proud of that since this was a flat course and should have been fast, but I'll blame that on the rain. :) hehe
What would you do differently?:

Get better rain gear and practice in the rain more often.
Post race
Warm down:

Met up with Drdi (Diane) from BT! My first BT encounter! How cool was that? She was working the finish line water stop. We chatted with her for a while and then skipped all the post race stuff and just went home. It was still raining, cold and we wanted to get back to the kids at Grandma's house.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

"perceived" slippery conditions messed up my stride.

Event comments:

We'll do this again every year we go back for Thanksgiving! It was fun!

Last updated: 2006-11-06 12:00 AM
Running
00:34:31 | 03.11 miles | 11m 06s  min/mile
Age Group: 11/12
Overall: 168/192
Performance: Below average
Course: Great course through the Cleveland Metroparks. It's a section we used to bike on a lot when we lived in Cleveland. It's flat and well maintained and very pretty as it winds through the woods.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-11-27 9:55 AM

Master
Charlotte, NC
Subject: 31st Annual Cleveland Fall Classic Harlf Marathon & 5k
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 31st Annual Cleveland Fall Classic Harlf Marathon & 5k Rss Feed