University of Washington Medical Center
30sF / 0C
Precipitation
Total Time = 4h 31m 42s
Overall Rank = 944M/1329M
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 120/153
Pre-race routine:

Get up early and have a bowl of oatmeal and some coffee. Had a decent night sleep. No more nervous energy and worry about races. I know what to expect.
Event warmup:

Remembered to put a plastic garbage bag over my clothes to help keep dry and warm. 5 block walk to the start in light rain. Watched the Half M start. Lines to the porta potties not as bad as last year? Tried to decide if I should wear my Yellow REI Bike Rain Jacket (I did) and whether to run with tights (I did). Debated with Athletic Supporter wife about shorts on outside of tights or tights over shorts. Interesting to see people show up with 15 minutes to go and looking for the dry clothes drop off in the stadium. Got lined up 2/3 back of start and took one ACCELERADE Chocolate gel.
Run
  • 4h 31m 42s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 10m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

I knew going in I was too HEAVY. Guess my weight was around 213. Longest training run was 17. Did not feel like I went out fast during the first half. Not like in past years that I knew I was going out fast (but it felt so good).
Made sure I stayed on the level portions of the streets of Downtown Seattle and on the Interstate. I carried a 20 oz bottle of NUUN to avoid water stations for the first 6 miles. Thought that it worked pretty well. Gulped Gatorade and water rest of the way. Never did take a potti break.
Right hamstring started to tingle some around 14 miles, not much of a problem except telling me that a closing sprint at the finish would not happen. Thoughts of my future 50K race were bouncing negativly around in my head, the mental battle of keep running and don't walk was constant.
Got to Galer Street which is the first tough climb. Walked! but so were most of the others in the area. Got a little misty on Interlake Blvd when I read the UW Med Center orange banners, Knowing that it was only 4 miles to go. But it is so hard since you are still going up. Brutal time going through that park area. Finally started down an crossing the Interstate area, took 4 pretzels with about 2 miles to go hoping that would perk me up. Couple times I walked and actually felt light headed. (This concerned me, not sure if it was the wet cold or something with the HR) felt better to run, although by now the legs were dead.
Made the final turn with 1.2 miles to go. And it's a 2 block steep downhill. Ugh! Pretty much running by myself. Watch said 4:14, did quick mental math that I could maybe get under 4:30 if I did another 12minute mile.
Came to the final 300 yards or so into the stadium, passed one guy and then hoped to not screw up my finish picture. Saw the time was already 4 :30 ish. CRUD! Oh well 6th marathon is finished.
What would you do differently?:

Loose at least 10lbs. Need to clear up all the naggy injury issues that occured during my last 6 months of training. More up tempo training (injury possiblities). My HR ave was 165 and during alot of the race I would glance and see it in the 170s. Max HR was a 180 (not sure where it was).
Need some longer training runs.
Maybe I need to incorporate some crosstraining
Which will start up again with IM training
Post race
Warm down:

Wandered around into the Food area, wasn't really that hungry? But ate some IVARs Clam chowder and checked out the things for sale. Found the chapped lip sticks that I like for free. They had barrels full of free EPOVAR packages. (I have 3 packs from last year and still have never tried it-Now I think it is all bunk-since the had at least 5 barrels full of freebies.
Cold wet walk back to hotel. Than the long trip home in the snow storm and crappy traffic.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Weight. LSD training. Only did two track workouts which had given me sore achilles a month back.

Event comments:

It's a very good race for a late season. Weather can be dicey, but that makes it more challenging. I will probably pass on it next year or just do a Half. Since Bellingham is organizing a marathon on Oct 7.

Now I have take a break from the action, heal up, recharge the batteries, get ready for a mountain trail 50K Ultra on March 17th.

Last updated: 2006-10-14 12:00 AM
Running
04:31:42 | 26.2 miles | 10m 22s  min/mile
Age Group: 944/153
Overall: 1329/1329M
Performance: Below average
I miss judged the first mile by about 30 seconds. So this is adjusted and not to accurate for the first two miles. Mile 1 9:25 Mile 2 9:19, Mile 3 9:13, Mile 4 9:13, Mile 5 8:57 (slight downhill on I-90) Mile 6 9:44, Mile 7 9:34, Mile 8 9:57, Mile 9 9:37 (flat section going toward Seward Park) Mile 10 9:46, Mile 11 9:48, Mile 12 9:00 (I think the mile marker was off-since I had slowed some at a water station) Mile 13 10:14 Half Marathon time was 2:05:51 Everything after that was in the 10 minutes to the 11s and 12s.
Course: City course, some course goes uphill on ramps of Interstate plus there are portions that have a severe slope. The last 5 miles are climbs and steep down hills. Pavement all the way.
Keeping cool Average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-11-28 9:53 AM

User image

Champion
Bellingham, Washington
Subject: Seattle Marathon

2006-11-28 9:57 AM
in reply to: #609876

User image

Champion
Bellingham, Washington
Subject: RE: Seattle Marathon

One thing I noticed. Duh?  The average mph that I train is what my final pace time was .... 10:22

Train LSD, race LSD?

2006-11-28 10:15 AM

User image

Expert
Liberty Lake, WA
Great job.  Did it rain for the whole run? 
2006-11-28 10:27 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Seattle
nice report.  it was quite wet day for a marathon.  it sounds like you listened to your body, and you have a good plan going forward.  Well Done!
2006-11-28 11:18 AM

User image

Sounds like it was a tough run, but you made it through!  And just in time, with that snowstorm blowing in.  Brrrr!

Congrats on finishing!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Seattle Marathon Rss Feed