United States
40F / 4C
Overcast
Total Time = 31m 41s
Overall Rank = 129/389
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Well it is becoming routine and I like that on Thanksgiving morning. Got up around 7am and had a peanut butter and Jelly with a glass of milk. Left with Eric and headed over the St.Francis at 7:45.
Event warmup:

Eric and I signed in and did a quick jog around the parking lot and down to the tracks and back. A good 1/2 to 3/4 mile warmup. The best weather we have had at this race. One year snow, the next year freezing rain the night before and last year 30mph winds and 20 degrees. This year a balmy 40 with no wind.
Run
  • 31m 41s
  • 4.07 miles
  • 07m 47s  min/mile
Comments:

I started near the front and went into the race figuring I haven't run much in the last 3 months and only 20 miles the month before and 11 this month. My goal of breaking 30 min's on this course was more than likely out.

I wanted to push the first mile at the 30 min goal pace and see how I felt. First mile: 7:33 and the second 1/2 of the mile was uphill. Then in mile two I decided that pace was a little fast for how I felt and started to slow down. This is when Casey, the guy who wins this every year, ran up beside me and starts talking about the course and that to break 30 I needed to pick it up. See he designed the course and is also running with his girlfriend this year, that is why he was with me and not at the front. He told me about the false flat coming up and what hills were coming and paced me for the rest of the mile. Second mile: 7:50.

Mile 3 and my legs are burning pretty good and I do slow down just a bit more and start thinking about how much fun this race is and how I look forward to it and start looking around at the old headstones. Anything to keep me from slowing down more or thinking about the burn. This is the mile with the toughest hill and also the relief of leaving the cemetary on a downhill. Mile 3: 8:05

Mile 4 is actually just over a mile and if it ended at 4 instead of the 4.07 I would be happy....every year. It starts out downhill then flat but the final turn home is 1/2 mile uphill to the finish. It isn't real steep but it is long. It is all I can do to keep the pace I am going and I focus on beating the person in front of me. I have not looked at my time once, not even on the splits at this point and as I come in view of the clock I realize I have a decent time going and can actually get a personal best out of this race. I pick up my pace as much as I can and mile 4 (1.07): 8:13. PB 31:41
What would you do differently?:

As with every year I will say continue to work out after Tri season until after this race. At least keep up with the running. It would be nice to run the course a few times through out the year and get some good hill work in. I haven't done that yet. Over all it is as it always was TRAIN TRAIN TRAIN.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around and talked to a friend of mine and waited for another friend to finish. Water and potato chips and then a shower on site.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

No training since tri season ended three months ago. Consistant running leading up to the event probably would help.

Event comments:

I love this race.

Last updated: 2006-11-28 12:00 AM
Running
00:31:41 | 04.07 miles | 07m 47s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 129/389
Performance: Good
Course: Hilly. This course is tough not just because it is rarely flat but also because it is so late in the season. My legs aren't ready for hill running and each year I swear I will be ready. Course starts out with a 1/2 mile downhill run and then flat into the cemetary at which point the next 3 miles are up and down with a couple of nice long uphills winding through the very quite old cemetary. After exiting you have a very short flat area until the turn for home which is all uphill.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-11-28 10:29 PM

Extreme Veteran
Fort Wayne, IN
Subject: Galloping Gobbler

2006-11-29 8:23 AM
in reply to: #610725

User image

Expert
Rockledge, Fl
Subject: RE: Galloping Gobbler
Man, you are a freak :-) Let's see, virtually no training and you PR!!! Great job Jim. Good race.
2006-12-01 6:44 PM
in reply to: #610725

User image

Pro
Evanston,
Subject: RE: Galloping Gobbler
Sounds like a good mental challenge as a race, great job at the PR!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Galloping Gobbler Rss Feed