General Discussion Triathlon Talk » left lateral knee pain Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-11-29 9:40 AM

Subject: left lateral knee pain
So I decide to train for a sprint triathlon. I begin by doing some running. New pair of shoes, some measured routes. All is well. Second week in to my training I develop a pain on the left lateral knee right near my knee cap. I think that it will disappear, but nada. so I begin researching some common knee injuries online. ITBS seems to fit my situation to a "T". So I lay off running, do some stretching, and some NSAIDS. 2-3 weeks go by and I re attempt running, an "BAM" right around 1 mile in, it starts again. So now I am getting frustrated. The pain intensifies every time until I am basically limping and looking for the shortest way home. so now I purchase a knee band that many seem to have luck with, but no relief.

I then asked some physical therapists for advice and they recommend a sport store that can evaluate me, my shoes, etc. I go there, the states that there is nothing wrong with my pair of
NB shoes (992's), just maybe overkill for my needs. Overall a great sneaker. He observes my posture and states the obvious that my Right ankle is larger that my Left (old sprain injury) but not the leg or area that I have an issue. He seems stumped. he watches me walk, and states that I am really light on my feet (he couldn't hear me walking on his floor and was even more dumbfounded), but no obvious problems with my walking.

He can only suggest his favorite brand of shoes (mine also) ASIC's. They could possibley cushion my stride a little more than the NB, that tend to be a stiffer less forgiving sole.

So, I pick up a set of Kayano 12's. They felt like slippers! Wow, now I remember why I usually get ASICs.

Next day at gym I run on the treadmill. Pain comes, but not as intense as before. I am still wearing the knee band. So I haven't given up on the shoe being the problem.
Following day I run again on the treadmill. The pain is there but even less than before. So I run little faster and further.

It seems like the shoes are making the differnce! I will continue to run on the treadmill little by little until I am pain free with my new shoes. Then I will try it without the band on the knee. Then once I am pain free I will try the street again. I hope this is it.

2006-11-29 4:24 PM
in reply to: #611011

User image

Veteran
Mobile, Alabama
Subject: RE: left lateral knee pain
I hope you have no more pain!!! One thing to remember is to properly warm up/Cool down. Good Luck
2006-11-30 8:49 PM

New user

Hey there, I actually ran into the same problem, but it started after doing IM events. The main thing I did for my lateral knee pain was to go up to a stability shoe for overpronation. My right knee gives me no pain, but when i ran in neutral shoes, my left knee would be terrible. Hopefully having switched to a stability shoe helps.

Regards,
2006-12-01 5:46 PM

that's my weakness, I don't seem to stretch enough (or at all). I just don't know why I don't do it as much as I need to. I hope the shoes help. I took a couple days off from running, and plan on resuming tomorrow morning. I don't want to over do it on the road to recovery, but I also don't want to go without running. So hopefully I am doing things right.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » left lateral knee pain Rss Feed