General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Massive Panic at my Tri today...(happy ending) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-08-07 7:28 PM

User image

Master
Sonoma County, CA
Subject: Massive Panic at my Tri today...(happy ending)
Did a sprint today....
report posted http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

I knew going in I hadn't trained hard for this event. My last event was an Oly back in June.

The last time I swam before today was about 2 weeks ago....

I was feeling cocky, though...."I've done an OLY...I can handle a sprint"

Took a pretty aggressive position front and center for the start and took off strong.

About 3 minutes into it I realized....."You dumba**...what were you thinking....you should have been in the pool more..."

That obvious statement then lead me to suddenly realize...."this wetsuiut is really tight and this water is really warm" which then lead to "I can't breathe." which lead to "No, really. I can't breathe."

I stopped swimming and was soon engulfed in a full-blown out of this world honest to god panic.

I panicked once before in the swim, at the same spot, back in April in my first ever open water swim event but this bad boy surpassed that by miles....

I didn't recognize myself.

Suddenly it was 'screw everyone". I didn't care I had friends there. I didn't care I had friends who weren't there rooting for me. I didn't care that I had done this twice already....I just wanted out of the water...NOW.

I reached for my wetsuit and wanted to unzip it... "I'm taking off my wetsuit NOW"

I saw the SAG boat.

"I am so outta here"

I started swimming towards the SAG boat...sidestroking that is.

I was too spooked to even try to back stroke.

As I made my way over to the SAG boat my blind panic continued. I really couldn't tell you what I was thinking b/c I don't remember. I had lost all reason. It was pure, unadulaterated panic.

I tried to talk myself down.....

As I was just about there I decided to take a couple strokes.....one, two, three, four...

Hmmmmmm, let's try a couple more...one, two, three, four....

Okay, we're going in the direction of the buoy anyway...give it another shot.... one, two, three, four.

And as soon as it started, it went away.

I found my rhythym and completed the swim strong. I was able to pass back all the people who passed me, sighted really well and by the end of the swim couldn't remember what had panicked me so much.

What seemed like an hours long panic attack, actually turned out, once I checked my course times, to be maybe 30-90 seconds tops.

Ended up having a great ride and a half decent run....

I'm happy with the performance but know I could have posted an even stronger one had I put more effort into it....

Today was a good experience and grounded me a bit. You get out of this sport what you put into it. I was reminded today to respect the sport, respect my body and take what I'm doing seriously enough to prepare the right way.

Next full tri is Sept 12....i will be ready.

2004-08-07 7:33 PM
in reply to: #45108

User image

Elite
Racine, WI
Subject: RE: Massive Panic at my Tri today...(happy ending)
THank you for that invaluably honest post!!!

When I panic at my first tri ONE WEEK FROM TOMORROW (omg...I am already panicked...) I am going to try to remember your story and be inspired, because to come back from a full blown panic like that IS inspiring!

Congratulations on your strong finish
2004-08-07 7:38 PM

User image

Expert
Northern VA
Way to go Nancy!!! Kick those gremlins in your mind right in the ass. I admire your determination and will -power.

2004-08-07 7:48 PM

User image

Got Wahoo?
San Antonio
You are a stud.  Wouldn't have meant as much if it had been easy.  That you pushed through it says something about you.  Great job Nancy!!!!!
2004-08-07 8:01 PM

Champion

Nancy, I think it is caused by going out too fast, then you get anaerobic and the breathing difficulties and tightness in the chest sets in.  Try going out at a steady smooth pace, even starting towards the back and as you build your aerobic base, you may find yourself getting stronger and passing everyone.  I learned this lesson the hard way too!

2004-08-07 8:15 PM

Veteran
Nancy,

Glad you stuck with it. You are really brave...those panic attacks feel like heart attacks!!!! I have a lot of respect for you.

Keriann

2004-08-07 9:39 PM

User image

Master
Sonoma County, CA
thanks for the kind words and feedback and what may have caused it......

Sometimes my mind thinks faster than my body can actually deliver so I'm sure that had something to do with it.....that and the need to get my butt back into a regular training routine instead of coasting as I've been doing!

Today reminded me how much I've missed racing these last two months....and glad I've paid for 4 more events thru the end of the year.....

2004-08-08 10:08 AM

Versailles, KY
WOW! What courage and strength! Way to overcome it! I still have mild panic attacks when I see the bottom of the pool go deep! I'll be thinking of you next swim and at my first tri!!
2004-08-08 10:50 AM

User image

Master
Marietta, Ga
You moved mountains and slayed dragons today. Congratulations. You are stronger now for the experience. Great going. That is a terrific story, a very courageous story.

Karl
2004-08-08 11:47 AM
in reply to: #45131

User image

Elite
New City, New York
Great job Nancy! Your mind can play tricks on you but I admire your perseverence! Way to go, Mark

ps hope I don't have to think of you in 2 weeks (likely i will!)

Edited by rollinbones 2004-08-08 11:48 AM
2004-08-08 11:55 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Kennesaw, GA
Thanks for the post. it was good to hear the happy ending. Way to stick with it.

2004-08-08 8:35 PM

Phoenix, Arizona
Nancy,

You almost brought tears to my eyes. I feel for you. I tend to run on the hyper side and panic WAY too much even in day to day life! My first open water race is in 3 weeks in Chicago. Olympic. I'm brand spankin new to the active world, only having learned (and I mean LEARNED from scratch, not just improved my stroke or something) how to swim less than a year ago. I'm going to put a band around my wrist that says NANCY because if I do panic I won't think to even think of your story. If I have it in view I can calm myself down. You are TRULY an inspiration! And so is anyone out there that's been in the same boat (or almost in the same "boat", literally) and has come back from the dead. I love the fact that you can lay it all out there, the whole honest to goodness story without any iota of self-consciousness. You are my hero. You seized the day!
2004-08-08 8:47 PM

User image

Master
Sonoma County, CA
I don't know why I posted this....probably because I've found that most times when I have a fear about something or a thought process about something that I think is completely whacked or out of the norm the times it has slipped out or I've shared it I've always been shocked yet pleasantly surprised when I hear, "Yeah, that's happened to me." or "Yeah, I've gone through that"

There's something very powerful about knowing that you're not alone....that you're not weird....that the processes you go through are really quite normal and natural...

Thank you all for the kind words and best of luck to all those getting ready for their first events.....

2004-08-08 9:00 PM

User image

Boise, ID
Nice job today! And thanks for being a great inspiration and reminder to all of us out here. You gave me something to think about for mine coming up Thursday. CONGRATULATIONS on picking yourself up and continuing!!!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Massive Panic at my Tri today...(happy ending) Rss Feed