Burlington, NC, North Carolina
United States
43F / 6C
Total Time = 1h 02m
Overall Rank = 82/254
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 17/35
Pre-race routine:

The race starts at 9:15 and is about 5 miles from the house. So, I got to sleep in till about 7:00. Shower, coffee, then water and some stretching. Got dropped off by wifey and did my thing.
Event warmup:

Did 2 easy miles immediately prior to the start so that I could get my mileage for the week. As I was getting back, the 14 mile folks were just getting started. After that, just wandered around talking to people. A tiny bit chilly at the start, but it truly was perfect once running. Hands in my sleeves up to mile one, then I regretted having a long sleeve shirt.
Run
  • 00m
  • 7 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

Spent the first mile running with a buddy who I stayed with at Pinehurst tri. Kept it light and very easy running at 10 min mile pace. It had rained the day prior, which made things either muddy, or slippery, or sometimes both. After mile 1, started to pick things up. I started out toward the back of the pack. After mile 1, no one soul passed me. Great race mentally! If I could race like this in the run portion of a tri, I'd be scary. Form was solid when I had open stretches and wasn't dodging things.

My only regret was the extreme trail conditions. I didn't really get to enjoy the sights, the waterfall (although I heard it as I ran by it). I was too busy looking at the ground. You couldn't lose concentration for one second on this trail or you'd lose and ankle or fall. Lots of controlled downhill slides, rock jumping, root sliding. Trail running at its best. Did awesome with the balance issues.

NEVER, EVER, EVER wear speed laces on a trail run. Lost my left shoe once and my right shoe twice in the mud. Hahaha.

What would you do differently?:

Wear some tie up shoes with real laces.
Post race
Warm down:

Jogged about a half mile. Got some liquids. Ate some of their homemade vegetable soup (which I think was a mixture of bulk purchased Campbell's tomato soup, vegetable soup, and alphabet soup)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My training plan. This was a fun run for me with a little bit of racing thrown in. Didn't push it, but glad I got to get out and compete a little.

Event comments:

Good race, tough conditions. Worth doing once, but I don't think I'm interested next year unless things are a little drier.

Last updated: 2006-12-02 12:00 AM
Running
00:00:00 | 07 miles |  min/mile
Age Group: 0/35
Overall: 0/254
Performance: Good
Course: True trail run. Muddy, roots, and meandering terrain with a few small stream crossings.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2006-12-04 9:06 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, North Carolina
Subject: Run at the Rock

2006-12-05 7:32 AM
in reply to: #615766

User image

Expert
Jacksonville, FL
Subject: RE: Run at the Rock
Sounds like a lot of fun and a big change from the normal race. Good job. Glad you found your shoe.
2006-12-05 10:26 AM

User image

Elite
West Chicago, IL
It does sound like fun! I'd really like to do more trail running ... in my spare time, I guess.

And today is your last double digit day of the countdown ... congrats on the race ... and the wait!
2006-12-05 11:09 AM

, Alabama

Sounds like a really good time.  Nice time overall, especially for a trail run

Sharon

2006-12-09 1:29 PM

User image

Expert
Seattle WA

nice race - sounds like a good change of pace. glad it was a good mental race, that's always nice.

nice job! 

2006-12-09 2:09 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Great Job Jeff   Hope you had fun and found your shoes   No Bostic slide this year?

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Run at the Rock Rss Feed