General Discussion Triathlon Talk » ****INSIDE SCOOP*** New Triathalon Coming to Maine Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-12-06 4:36 PM

User image

Expert
Portland
Subject: ****INSIDE SCOOP*** New Triathalon Coming to Maine

I just received some inside information that Tri-ME is planning a new triathlon for 2007.  The event has been labeled "The Portland Triathlon and Fesitval".  It will be an Olympic distance event.  The swim will be a one way line from Fort Gorges to the East End Beach.  The bike will go out to Falmouth Foreside (a common training route for me by the way) and the run will include a loop around the Back Cove (also a commong training route for me

Unfortunately, it appears they are planning to hold it on August 18th, which is the day before Timberman, so I and a couple others who have, or will, sign up for that race won't be able to race in the Portland Tri this year.   I remember that Wildbear was held the day before Timberman in 2006, so I wonder if Wildbear is going to be moved earlier or later.  I'm pretty certain they wouldn't try to hold two events the same day.  It looks like this is going to be a big deal with a huge festival planned to coincide with the race that will last late into the evening. 

Well, hopefully I have the date wrong, and will be able to do this race.  It sounds like a fun course.

2006-12-07 8:05 PM
in reply to: #617979

User image

Master
Maine
Subject: RE: ****INSIDE SCOOP*** New Triathalon Coming to Maine
That could be terrible timing Mike - I think the Pine Tree Tri (in Brewer) was the Sunday of that same weekend.
2006-12-27 1:13 PM

Extreme Veteran

Wow...that race sounds like a BLAST!!! I swam Peaks to Portland 4 times (back in the day) and grew up right around there. I would love to do that. However, I am registered for Timberman too! That is lousy timing. Maybe we could influence the date? thanks for letting us know!

2007-01-17 7:01 PM

User image

Expert
Portland

well.  they announced the date.  it is going to be the same weekend as Timberman Cry

I guess I will volunteer for this race, and that will satisfy my annual minimum requirement.  the festival sounds like fun, so it should be a cool way to spend the day before heading out for Timberman the next day.

2007-01-23 1:41 PM
in reply to: #658605

User image

Master
Portland, ME

I just can't understand why Tri Maine had to schedule it the exact same weekend as the biggest race in New England.   

I guess I'll be volunteering for this one as well.

I'm sure this is going to be a great race and perhaps I'll do it another year.

2007-01-23 6:37 PM

User image

Master
Maine

Yeah, bummer about the timing - would have been fun to jump off the ferry.

FYI if you didn't know (as it may affect the volunteering schedule), you have to register and rack your bike at Timberman on Saturday.

2007-01-24 2:34 PM
in reply to: #665579

User image

Expert
Portland
huskyboy - 2007-01-23 7:37 PM

Yeah, bummer about the timing - would have been fun to jump off the ferry.

FYI if you didn't know (as it may affect the volunteering schedule), you have to register and rack your bike at Timberman on Saturday.

I didn't know about the registration/racking the bike on Saturday.  Are the times pretty flexable to do that?

2007-01-25 10:49 AM

User image

Master
Maine

From the Timberman website:

DATE AND TIME: Sunday, August 19, 2007 at 7:00 AM. Race starts at Ellacoya State Park, Gilford, NH. There will be Pre-Race registration and Packet pick up on Friday Evening, August 17, from 5-7 PM, during the Expo/Carbo Load Gala and on Saturday, August 18 during Gunstock TimberFEST at Gunstock Moutain Resort, Gilford, NH from 1-6 PM. Bikes must be racked at the race site transition area on Saturday, August 18, between 2-7 PM. Professional Security will be watching over your bikes. No race day registration and packet pick up, unless prior arrangements are made with Race Director

2007-03-29 1:38 PM

maine
BTW, Will had no input on the date, the City of Portland decided on that.
2007-08-08 1:02 AM

Is there anyone doing this triathlon?

I've signed up as well as about 300 hundred other folks, but I wondered if there were any BTers?

The swim was changed in the last week because of the death two weeks ago in MA, but other than that, things seem to be moving smartly along.

Leighsah, from an extremely hot Florida (can you say heat index of 114)
2007-08-11 7:25 PM

User image

Master
Portland, ME

I don't know of any regular local BTers doing this race as we will all be at Timberman that weekend. There is a ton of buzz about the race and I expect that it will be a great event. I do have a lot of other friends doing that race and I also know a bunch of people who are making that race their frst tri.

The move of the swim start to Macworth Island is pretty cool as that island is beautiful and it should be a great swim in very calm waters as that area of the bay is well protected. You might even see a seal or two and there are a couple rocks they hang out on at about the halfway point of that swim.

They also changed the bike. The bike will be mostly flat on pretty decent roads with minor hills on Middle Rd and Tuttle Rd. It should be a very fast bike.

Enjoy the race and your time in Maine.

Edited by Jackemy 2007-08-11 7:28 PM

2007-08-11 8:09 PM
in reply to: #922347

Jeff,

Thank you so much for responding.

Could you define "minor hills" please? I live near Orlando. I am about 40 miles inland and am a whopping 27 feet above sea level. My idea of a hill is the highway overpass.

I am hoping this race goes well. The guy running it,Will, has been nothing but helpful and he and his people have just gone so far above and beyond with the information.

Thanks for your help.

Leighsah

2007-08-12 3:45 PM
in reply to: #922368

User image

Master
Portland, ME

Leighsah - 2007-08-11 8:09 PM Jeff, Thank you so much for responding. Could you define "minor hills" please? I live near Orlando. I am about 40 miles inland and am a whopping 27 feet above sea level. My idea of a hill is the highway overpass. I am hoping this race goes well. The guy running it,Will, has been nothing but helpful and he and his people have just gone so far above and beyond with the information. Thanks for your help. Leighsah

If you have done any biking in Clermont you should be all set. There is nothing that is more than 5 minutes long and I usually don't get out of the big ring to climb them. There more like bigger rollers than hills.

Will is a well respected race director and runs a great race. You should have a blast. This is one event that I'm raeally bummed I'm missing. 

Edited by Jackemy 2007-08-12 3:45 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » ****INSIDE SCOOP*** New Triathalon Coming to Maine Rss Feed