General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hybrid vs. Road bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-08-08 9:13 PM

User image

Orange County
Subject: Hybrid vs. Road bike
OK. I've done my first 3 tri's this summer and love it. I am looking to improve and see substantial opportunity in my biking (and my swimming and my running ). Outside of fitness and technique, equipment can have some impact. I have a Univega Via Montega hybrid with road gearing (7 years old, was a good bike then). I'm told that a road bike vs. my hybrid is like night vs. day, but I don't want to fall into the "the problem is the equipment trap" like is easy to do (witness my new driver and putter in my golf bag!). What do you think? My last 15 miler in a sprint tri I averaged 17.2 and felt good but placed 102 out of 162 cyclists. Can a bike make a difference?

2004-08-09 2:56 AM
in reply to: #45314

User image

Veteran
Sydney
Subject: RE: Hybrid vs. Road bike
Put Lance on a BMX and he would probably still beat most of us, but ive found it alot easier to maintain higher speeds for longer on a road bike. the whole tyre resistance thing, and position on the bike makes a big difference. once you go road, you wont go back.

.::aidan::.
2004-08-09 5:43 AM
in reply to: #45314

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Subject: RE: Hybrid vs. Road bike
Here's my take on the difference a bike makes.:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

Your hybrid is probably heavier, more compliant, less aerodynamic, and has greater rolling resistance than a road bike. Therefore, it's less efficient.

Define what type of cycling you'll do most. If you're doing mostly triathlons, then get a tri bike, even a road bike will fall short of a bike designed and manufactured specifically for that purpose.

Of course there's no substitute for training, for putting in the miles to get stronger.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hybrid vs. Road bike Rss Feed