General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Muscle Fatigue Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-12-08 10:02 AM

User image

Tallahassee
Subject: Muscle Fatigue
I am training for the Florida 70.3 in May and I have had a problem with my training. I am in decent shape and only 22 but when I swim or run my legs get tired before anything else. Basically I never get winded or out of breath I just train till my leg muscle give out. (Its not nearly as far as I would like to train). I was wondering if this is normal and as I continue my legs wont get as tired or if I need to change my form or training habits. Thanks

2006-12-08 10:13 AM
in reply to: #619413

User image

Fishers, IN
Subject: RE: Muscle Fatigue
How's your diet? I went out for an easy 10 miler on Weds, actually was planning on going 15ish, I found I had a lot of soreness in my hamstrings and really had not recovered from my previous workout. I then remembered the importance of diet. I have been burning the candle at both ends by trying to diet and train for a marathon simultaneously. I wen back to basics of counting calories (acually grams of Carbos and protein per day). Got to be careful to balance out work output and diet.
2006-12-08 10:16 AM

User image

Master
Pulaski TN
Are you training with a HR monitor when you run?? Do you know what your zones are? If not I highly recommend testing your Lactate Threshold to set up proper HR zones.  Also whats your nutrition and sleeping like. I would start with those issues first and see if there might be improvements you can make. Hope this helps.
2006-12-08 10:38 AM

User image

Master
Loughborough, England
Make sure you pay attention to nutrition.  Are you eating enough before and during your workouts?

I'm sure that I read something on this a while ago.  I'm fairly sure it said something along the lines of if if the limiting factor in how far/hard you can go is muscle fatigue (not breathlessness) it is because you don't have enough energy whereas if you are breathless but not experiencing muscle fatigue it is your aerobic fitness that is the limiting factor.  I'll try and find out where I read this.

2006-12-08 10:47 AM
in reply to: #619431

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills

cbost2678 - 2006-12-08 11:16 AM Are you training with a HR monitor when you run?? Do you know what your zones are? If not I highly recommend testing your Lactate Threshold to set up proper HR zones.  Also whats your nutrition and sleeping like. I would start with those issues first and see if there might be improvements you can make. Hope this helps.

Further to what Chris said, running/biking/swimming until you drop is not going to get you to where you will want to be for the 70.3 distance race.  You will need to work on your endurance and sustainability, which comes from a training program based upon periodization.

The first period is building your aerobic engine by establishing a base level of fitness (this is also an excellent time to work on form).  The second is where you build on your fitness by introducing added intensity. The third phase is to build off of the fitness you have achieved by working on speed.

The good news is that you have time to accomplish all three period. 

For a better and more indepth explanation of the above (including some basics on HR training) go to your local bookstore and see if they have a copy of Triathlete Magazine's Matt Fitzgerald's "Complete Guide to Triathlon Training" (http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbninquiry.asp?r=1&ean=9780446679282).  Other have other books they can recommend ... this one, I found, explains the basics of training in plain English, is easy to follow and reads well (e.g. you do not feel like you are ready an instruction manual or classroom textbook).

Good luck with your training.  You are on the right track by asking these questions.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Muscle Fatigue Rss Feed