Arthritis Foundation
38F / 3C
Sunny
Total Time = 50m 10s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Well, I was later getting up then I intended. Have I ever mentioned that I'm not a morning person. I'm so going to have to learn that skill...

Woke up around 7:45am. Futzed w/ my iPod and iTunes because it wasn't detecting that the iPod was attached to be updated. I think it was partly a computer problem too, cuz once I shut it down and finally got it fired back up, it FINALLY worked. I really wanted a playlist loaded that I'd made for the run today...Didn't have anyone running with me to keep my company during the race, so I wanted a little noise.

Made up some oatmeal and ended up putting it in a mug to take with me because I was running so late. Stupid computer. Got to the site, found a parking spot, then proceeded to try and figure out how to get to the start line.
Event warmup:

Warmup involved finding the start line. Jogged there and then did a lot of jumping around to keep semi warm. I'd ditched my fleece jacket cuz I knew I would overheat, so before the race I was a little chilly.
Run
  • 50m 10s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 16m 11s  min/mile
Comments:

Started off slow, waiting for the crowd to thin out. That didn't take too long, as the hard-core runners (of which I am not one of yet) took off and left the rest of us mortals in the dust. I started off steady, did good for about the first 1/2 mile or so, but then my lungs started hurting. Me thinks it was the cold air, so I took some walk breaks when I felt too bad. My 1 mile time was 14:26, so I wasn't too sad about that. I had to keep stopping to walk though, because, even though my lungs finally got accustom to the effort, there were a lot of packed snow/iced parts on the path. I REALLY didn't feel like falling (I've had enough injury this year), so I walked most of those areas.

There were these girls who were on the route that were just annoying the tar out of me, though. At first they were behind me and one of them stepped on the back of my shoe (unintentionally, I know, I know). But then, when they were in front of me, they were walking 4 abreast and didn't even bother to look behind them to see if someone was coming up and might want to get through. I just kind of dropped back and let them get as far ahead of me as possible so I didn't say anything nasty (I think I'm PMSing...sorry...TMI). They were just irritating me.

I did run (read: slow jog) the rest of the way to the finish line, even though I was passed by a number of walkers. I'm just starting out on this and I have to remember that, and not take it so personally.
What would you do differently?:

I would have trained more. I'm still dealing with an sore ankle from the ankle sprain that happened in September, so I haven't done a ton of running...That and I should really get some spikes or something if I plan on running in these conditions again.
Post race
Warm down:

Wandered into the school to find where all the food was. They had a nice spread of water, juice, donuts (I don't understand the thought behind junk food at a race), bagels, and various fruits. They also had chicken noodle soup and coffee, but I don't care for either of those so I stayed away. Sat down for a few minutes, ate a couple of bagel pieces, grabbed a half a banana and was on my way home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Oh, I don't know...the fact that we got dumped w/ 15 inches of snow the week prior and the packed parts were pretty slippery...nothing I could do about that...had to walk over most of them so I didn't injure myself yet again.

Event comments:

This was fun...nice little goodie bag, and the jingle bells are fun. I wonder how long I'll keep them on my shoes before they start annoying me...

Last updated: 2006-12-02 12:00 AM
Running
00:50:10 | 03.1 miles | 16m 11s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Course: Looped around a couple parks and over a number of bridges.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-12-09 11:30 AM

User image

Pro
Without house
Subject: Jingle Bell 5k Run/Walk
Of note, I did improve my mile time by about 29 secs compared to the Turkey Day Run I did on Thanksgiving, so I'm proud of that.

Edited by maggyruth 2006-12-09 11:35 AM

2006-12-09 11:23 PM
in reply to: #620067

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO
Subject: RE: Jingle Bell 5k Run/Walk
hey, way to improve over Thanksgiving and with the sloppy conditions.  Keep it up.  Times will keep dropping as you get in better condition. 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Jingle Bell 5k Run/Walk Rss Feed