General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Picking the "right" coach - your experience/preference Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-12-11 3:34 PM

Master
Brooklyn, NY
Subject: Picking the "right" coach - your experience/preference
In your quest for a coach, how did you come about picking the "right" one for you?

What bit(s) of information could you give someone about to start his/her search. I'm talking stuff you probably cannot learn until experience shows you what you did right or wrong.

Did working with someone online (ie. across the country), work really well for you or did you regret it? Anyone can listen to your wish list and seem agreeable until you've paid some hard earned $$ out.

How about group coaching instead of one on one? (I still don't know how hard my pocket will get hit).

Tonight, I'm going to talk to someone that is a USA Tri-certified level 2 coach with the reputation of a pure breed bull-dog drill sargent (multiple time Kona qualifier/finisher). While speaking to some of his past vicitims (aka students), some say he made them feel like they can take on Reid or Stadler, while others have told me he has no regard for their pain (whiners? what do I know it's my first time searching).

Any tips that could help me invest my hard earned $$, the right way (the first time), would be greately appreciated. (MAN, is this sport expensive)

2006-12-11 3:46 PM
in reply to: #621308

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills
Subject: RE: Picking the "right" coach - your experience/preference

cobannero - 2006-12-11 4:34 PM In your quest for a coach, how did you come about picking the "right" one for you? ... some say he made them feel like they can take on Reid or Stadler, while others have told me he has no regard for their pain...

Any coach that does not listen to the feedback their athlete's bodies are giving is not the right one ...

Different coaches have different styles.  Some need encouragement others need a swift kick in the a$$ more encouragement ... regardless of style, though, pain is your body telling you that something is not right and is often the precursor to injury.

I use a local pro (Carole Sharpless: http://www.carole-sharpless.com/) as my coach and primarily do everything on-line via Training Peaks.  The only advantage of having her local is that sometimes she has clinics (at an extra cost) that works on techniques - i.e. swim stroke.

Regardless of which coach you use (there are a couple USAT Certified coaches on this board, including the HEAD of the Coaching Committee at USAT), make sure that they are listening to you and your body. 

2006-12-11 4:06 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
My coach is Rocket Man here on BT. When I started asking questions like you are now, he & I corresponded by email a bit, then by telephone. It just seemed to be a good fit. He had the enthusiasm and motivation I needed, but also understood my time constraints and goals. Everything is long distance, and it is working out fine. In the interem, I have sought additional coaching via run clinics over the summer by Bobby McGee (group clinics) that have really helped as well. If you went with a local coach, you may be able to get the skills tips from teh same coach, but some coaches charge extra for one on one work in addition to the coaching fee.

You need to be very clear about what you want from a coach, what your goals are, and what your budget will allow...that will help a lot.

If you want to get a big overview of what different coaches offer and their basic styles/philosphies, I suggest going to the training peaks website, click on the link that says "find a coach" and start exploring the google map. Most of the coaches have websites that you can browse and get a feel for what's out there and who is charging what.

Good luck.
2006-12-11 4:17 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
I looked a a bunch of coaching web sites and narrowed it down to a few who I spoke with by phone.  Hired one, didn't work out, fired him and then found my current coach Will with tri-hard.com  We are an infinately better match.  He listens to me and works with me instead of talking at me.  He is actually in Massachusetts and live in FL.  We talk by phone every other week and email nearly everyday.  Works for me. 
2006-12-11 6:59 PM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Here's some advice on things to think about and questions to ask:

http://www.coachgordo.com/mostcoach/index.html

Remember, what works for one person may not for another.  There are many good coaches (and unfortunately lots of mediocre coaches as well) with very different styles.  Make sure their style fits with what you need and want.  You want to be able to trust your coach.

2006-12-11 10:09 PM

User image

Champion
MA

I've been using a coach almost 2 years now.

The key for me was finding someone who was a good fit which I think almost everyone has mentioned. I made a list of what was important to me. Looked at a number of websites, contacted the coaches and asked for references, emailed back and forth a few times and talked to them and it was clear which one was the best fit for me. Now I can't imagine not having a coach and my coach Will (tri-hard.com) . Having a plan for each workout, knowing what the goal is and how to do it makes workouts more challenging and rewarding when I nail it right. Plus I've improved a ton and know without my coach I would have improved but nearly as much. He helps me dream big and this year I did things I really couldn't have imgained I could have done a year before...that is cool and super motivating.

What I looked for was someone who supported and encouraged me even though I was BOP.  A professional triathlete I spoke to about coaches told me, lots of coaches really like to work with fast/competitive people and take on others but it isn't their preference. Cost was a concern and for me I wanted not to be limited to how much contact I could have with my coach. Many programs the lesser cost options have limits.  Another thought I had was I didn't want a coach that did this on the side as a supplement to another job or in addition to being a professional triathlete...for me someone who did this as a career  meant they would be around and reachable when I need to talk/email with them. My coach helps me a lot with the mental aspect of tri racing and training, nutrition both for workouts/racing and helping my lose weight, helps advise me when I buy stuff like my tri bike, celebrates my sucess and helps me learn from my disappointments, and encourages me to balance tri training with my family.

A great fit for one person may not be for you. Spend the time to research, talk, email and find the right coach for you. I hope you are like me and find the right one and have your next season be excellant.

2006-12-11 10:41 PM

User image

Master
Portland, OR
I found my coach through a referral. I'm fortunate enough to live in the same city so we actually met for coffee to talk about my training goals. However, most of our communication is via email...just like his clients across the US.

He's with Peaks Coaching Group and I am THRILLED with my training so far. He has been very flexible with my schedule and helps me set realistic goals taking into consideration my other responsibilities. He gets that I'm not a pro and as a mom of three active kids, we have to get creative with my training! I was SO afraid that he would tell me I needed to upgrade my bike and other equipment. He said we can totally work with what I have which is a relief! I don't think I can squeeze another dime out of my sweetie this year.

I agree with the other posters that you really have to find out what kind of coach fits your personality and is flexible to your situation. I didn't want a cookie cutter plan, I needed someone to take the guesswork out of plan modification. Adnan (my coach) is awesome about that. Just this morning I emailed him to let him know I'd like to change my rest day to another day in the week. He already modified my plan. (We use Training Peaks software, too.) He ties everything together and I don't have to think about anything except doing what he says. I log in, look at what I need to do. Go do it. Log it. Done!

He's also very affordable. I pay roughly $100/month.

cobannero - 2006-12-11 1:34 PM

Any tips that could help me invest my hard earned $$, the right way (the first time), would be greately appreciated. (MAN, is this sport expensive)

Word.

I think my husband wishes I'd go back to scrapbooking.

Good luck finding a coach!
Sharon
2006-12-12 11:20 AM

Master
Brooklyn, NY
Thanks everyone for great advice. I can tell my search will probably take a few calls and e-mails before I even started this thread.

BTW - Spoke to the "bull dog" last night and seems like the kind of guy I would go back to back with in a bar brawl. He's definately rough but seemed very knowledgeable, patient and interested in my ramblings questions and concerns. Very positive first experience with a coach.

(Side note: This brief experience with him gave me the impression the whiners I spoke to before were just that - due to muslce burning/fat torching sessions he has a reputation for giving in his group classes.)

Thanks again for your tips.

2006-12-12 11:51 AM

User image

Expert
Sherman Oaks, CA
Depends on who you are. If you know you will quit on yourself, then a bulldog coach is the right one for you.

I have a coach I meet with every week. He is friendly, but he probably leans more towards bulldog. And I like and need it. If I was injured, we would stop in a heart beat.

I want a coach that will push me beyond my limits. Others might just need technique training and some minor guidance.

Cheers
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Picking the "right" coach - your experience/preference Rss Feed