Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2004-08-10 8:31 AM
in reply to: #45543

User image

Veteran
Norfolk, VA
Subject: RE: Crash Stories
This didn't happen to me and I wasn't there but, my beau (also a triathlete) was mountain biking in the mountains a few years ago, hit a rock and toppled over. Doesn't sound so bad until you realize he tried to stop his fall with his arms. Yup...completely shattered his right elbow/forearm. A few reconstructive surgeries and parts of his leg moved to his arm, and he's almost as good as new. He's got a metal plate in there now and some mean scars.... and he still is just as persistent on that bike than he ever was! Gotta love the passion!!!!

2004-08-10 9:04 AM

User image

Master
Somewhat related topic - I am heading out to buy a new helmet this afternoon since I cracked mine last weekend. My last helmet was a Bell, and seemed to do an excellent job protecting my melon when I flew over the handlebars. I will probably buy the same brand again, but I am wondering if there are any competitive advantages to other brands and/or styles of helmet. (Aerodynamics etc...) I'm guessing not, but what do I know.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Bill
2004-08-10 11:22 AM
in reply to: #45860

User image

molto veloce mama
1998. I had been winter commuting for years. Bah on studded tires, I was hardcore. Below is something I wrote a week or so after my surgery, and pictures. The good news is that, apart from the occasional ache, I barely remember that it was even broken. Through religious PT I was able to regain my full range of motion within a few months. Oh, and I still don't drive

Moxie. It means guts or stamina. Most don’t understand why I keep biking, especially now. I guess I would be guilty of having some degree of moxie. It’s not the stamina to succeed against others’ standards, but to overcome my personal fears and boundaries.

When I was 15 and in drivers ed, I couldn’t pay attention. my gears turned over and over, but most of the information made no sense..."If you don’t buckle up, you could die...If you don’t yield, you are in violation of state law... Insurance costs begin at about $100 a month...” Why would anyone want to drive if there is so much expense, both financially, mortally (% accidents on freeways end in death), and environmentally? Plus, hey, I was 15. I’d much rather be hangin’ with my girlfriends and the guy I met last weekend. When I went away to college at 17, not much had changed. I was still driving my Trek Antelope 820 with Biopace.

Cars whiz past each other, aggravated and fast. They bend around one another trying to find the faster, quicker, shorter way to wherever it is they are going. There is much they miss in the rush. In summer, lilacs bloom and cloud the air with light, airy perfume, moss begins to cover and creep along stone walls, morning glories flash briefly against the sunrise. In winter, rabbit tracks cross a fresh bed of snow, amazing icicles hang from a cliff overlooking the mist that rises from a half frozen river. Drivers are oblivious

A few weeks ago my inner limits were redefined. I sped down hill at Marshall heading towards the river, over the icy bridge. Day after day, in blizzards or sleet, no worries. In the spring, when the roadies would come out, I would have months of hard riding under my belt and would whip past them leaving them in a Celeste daze. Along West River Road...awe inspiring frozen waterfalls looking like cliffs of silver in the predawn light. Crossing up to the West Bank, I would look behind quickly to check for cars before leaving the bike path and crossing. That morning, I counted 4 sets of headlights. Zoom...1...2...3...4...crank.

Another car. No headlights. 7:30am darkness I couldn't have seen him until it was almost too late. I was able to pull out of his way, but onto patch of black ice. Down I went. My head hurt. My arm hurt. Don't drive over my bike! I pulled my Fisher hybrid up next to me in the small dirty snow bank and cradled my arm like a baby. I must have broken something. Maybe it was just dislocated. That would hurt for a few days, but no big deal. Lucky me, it was both dislocated AND broken. Damn.

Even now I feel a lump in my throat as I try with all my might to do something so simple: touch my own nose. My arm pushes towards the ceiling, becoming stuck with pain inches before my fingers can touch my own face. I lower it again, pressing it out as straight as it will go. Not quite straight enough. Stiffness clogs my joint like antique hinges in need of a good oil. All I want to do is to ride again.

(elbow.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
elbow.jpg (9KB - 20 downloads)
2004-08-10 11:24 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2004-08-10 11:28 AM

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member

I have a Giro.... their base model... Did a pretty good job of protecting MY melon as well, so I bought the same one again after I cracked the first one. Worked well enough for me.... (!) Although it's not the most aerodynamic helmet I've ever seen, and it's certainly not the most technologically advanced..... It's pretty stylish, though, in it's bright yellow hue. tmwelshy? Ode to Helmet????

Hmmmmmmm........

2004-08-10 11:47 AM

Extreme Veteran
Midcoast, Maine
Somewhat related topic - I am heading out to buy a new helmet this afternoon since I cracked mine last weekend. My last helmet was a Bell, and seemed to do an excellent job protecting my melon when I flew over the handlebars. I will probably buy the same brand again, but I am wondering if there are any competitive advantages to other brands and/or styles of helmet. (Aerodynamics etc...) I'm guessing not, but what do I know.

It seem the greatest factor in helmet difference in cost and maybe atvantage is weight, with both giro pneunmo and atmos weight goes down significantly in the atmos, but price increase seems to match weight decrease

2004-08-10 11:50 AM
in reply to: #45982

2004-08-10 12:02 PM
in reply to: #45983

2004-08-10 12:14 PM

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member
Boy is that true. (!) So I guess my helmet is stong and cheap, but not light. Although I don't think tossing it aside as I climb "Alp du' Crystal Lake" will make much of a difference.
2004-08-10 12:14 PM

Pro
Helena, MT
Mine was when I was about 6 or 7 years old (fresh outta training wheels). I lived in an all dirt road neighborhood about 3 miles off the mexican border. There were alot of mean dogs around, so I always rode with my basket full of rocks. I was riding around my neighborhood when all of a sudden this Great Dane came flying over its fence, barking and charging at me. I was reaching into my basket for a rock when I hit a huge rock in the middle of the road. On my way over the handlebars, I was still trying to throw the rocks. I landed on my face and forearms and was trying to get up and away from the dog, bawling my little eyes out. The Great Dane got to me before I was able to get up. He started licking my face very gently where it was not scraped. I pet him a little. He made me feel so much better that me and that Great Dane became great friends. I still have a soft spot for Great Danes. :-)
2004-08-10 2:12 PM

Regular
Romeoville, IL
OK, the only wrecks that I've had are from a failure to clip out, although this AM I wrecked as a result of a runner cutting out in front of the rider in front of me-she went down (at a low speed) and then I went down b/c I couldn't swerve around due to other runners. I would hate runners if I didn't run. I really hate rollerbladers, though.

This was posted on the UCVC (university of chicago velo club, I've been trying to ride with them lately) forum regarding crashes and other goofy stuff:

THE RULES have always existed.  The universe formed in accordance with
THE RULES.  All of our actions must follow THE RULES no matter how
trivial.  For example, if you decide to swim from the south side of
Promontory Point to the pier you must actually  touch the pier for it to
count as a "Pier Swim".  If you forget to touch the pier and recognize
your error on the return swim you cannot simply reverse course to make
the requisite wet hand print above the water line but must go back to
the Point and start all over.  In terms of cycling, THE RULES decree
that no cyclist shall employ his or her big chain ring between December
1st and March 31st.  If you do not like this do not blame me.  I did not
make up THE RULES.  I am simply telling you what they are.

As you would expect, bike crashes are clearly rated, with points
awarded,  in accordance with THE RULES.   There are two categories of
points.  Fixed Points which you obtain automatically as soon as your
body makes contact with the earth and Judges Points, which are awarded
subjectively based on things like spectacular nature of the crash, value
of equipment destroyed, speed at which crash occurred, amount of blood
spilled, number of corn stalks taken out, etc.  Points are awarded in
accordance with the following scale.

Fixed Points
        Judges Points
Track Race
        100 points
        In addition to normal judges points, bonus points will be awarded for
doing a head plant directly into the plywood fence.  If the head plant
is hard enough to compress rider's spine, an additional 10 bonus points
will be awarded per 1/10 of inch of height lost.
Criterium
        75 points
        Points awarded on normal criteria
Road Race
        50 points
        Points awarded on normal criteria
Time Trial
        25 points
        If a "holder" is employed at the starting line and rider falls over
while attempting to start then rider automatically is moved from "hero"
status to "dork" status.
Mountain Bike Race/ Cyclo-cross Race         10 points (hey, your supposed to
crash)         Judges shall consider the weight of mud collected on rider's
clothing and body when awarding points.
Ultra-Marathon/ Endurance Race
        1 point
        Bonus points shall be awarded if crash is caused by rider falling
asleep on bike or while suffering from sleep deprivation induced
hallucinations.
Training Ride
        -50 points
        Additional negative points will be levied if crash is caused by rider
failing to unclip shoe from pedal.  Positive bonus points  may be earned
if rider does good things like spills lots of blood, lands in the chilly
waters of Lake Michigan, dents a car with his or her body, wipes out on
ice while riding in snow storm.  If you crash in a race you are
automatically a hero.  Based on fixed points, if you crash on a training
ride you are a dork although if your crash is good enough it is possible
to earn enough judges points to move from "dork" status to "neutral"
status. *

sorry that was so long, but at least funny! right now I am minus about 100 cool points. I am OK from the crash this AM. One girl really did fly into Lake Michigan last season, still clipped in! I don't know how she didn't drown. her bike sunk all the way to the bottom and some ofthe UCVC guys had to fish it out. it required repairs.

2004-08-10 7:53 PM

Veteran
Belize
My only crash so far was a freak accident on the road while drafting behind a group of 4 roadies. I was the only one on mountain bike. We were doing about 20 mph. The cyclist directly in front of me was carrying one of those long bicycle pumps under his cross bar. The pump suddenly fell going straight into his front wheel spokes. His fork broke and he went face first into the rough asphalt road. I managed to avoid coliding with him but I was unable to avoid hitting the ground. All this happened in a flash. A few scrapes and a bent handle bar was all I got but the guy who went down before me wasn't so lucky. He went down reall hard digging up his face. After falling, he rolled over on his back moaning, unable to pick himself up. I had never seen so much blood come from someone's face before. It was a sick site.
2004-08-10 10:31 PM

Veteran
Sydney
Isnt cycling fun!!!
Cant help but think every now and then....why?!
You guys have some pretty crazy stories - its really interesting to hear about them though. it kinda makes you think about what could happen in your own next race :-O

I had my first major crash when i was bout 13 or 14. I was racing in the mens open A grade, with my little 52 inch decked out in sora. About 200 to go, the guy in front of me jumped, so i tagged along and broke free from the pack. i came up along side him on the inside, when this clown behind us tried to squeeze between us. Not finding a gap that wasnt there in the first place, this 30 year old man then proceeded to lean over me pushing me off my bike into the gravel at 60km/h.
"Is my bike ok?"
"We can get a new bike but we cant get a new aidan"
"Oh no i trashed my bike!"
Anywayz, the guy that forced me off the road was told off by about everyone in the club and didnt race with us ever again.
A few stitches, an antiseptic bath, a steel brush, 1 week off school, a new helmet, derailer hanger, computer, jersey, knicks and a new left brake lever later - and i was back on the bike again

.::aidan::.
2004-08-10 10:35 PM
in reply to: #46225

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Crash Stories Rss Feed  

of 2