United States
40F / 4C
Overcast
Total Time = 3h 33m 35s
Overall Rank = 434/3507
Age Group = M 35-39
Age Group Rank = 84/404
Pre-race routine:

Slightly different routine this morning. I had to get my "jockstrapping" crew up and into the car. Of course they got down to the car and promptly fell back asleep - what do you expect of teenage girls. Once in the car took off for the drive to Dallas. Once there searched around for a parking spot. Some how I managed to find a parking lot not 200 yards from the starting line. Yay me. Short walk when I am done.
Event warmup:

Once to the American Airlines Center I proceeded to the building to locate bathroom. Knowing that one needs to find stalls early I quickly got in line. I talked with the guy in front of me in line. He is in the Navy and traveled here from Virgina Beach to run the marathon with his uncle. All the while the sounds of grunts and expelling gas going on infront of us. Needless to say the smell was over powering and I was quite happy to walk back outside into the cold to get some fresh air. The rest of the "warm-up" was spent shivering in the queue waiting for the start of the event.
OH did I mention I am sans headset?? This will be my first time running this distance without the accompiment of my tunes.... eck...
Run
  • 3h 33m 35s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 08m 09s  min/mile
Comments:

Having the Marathon and Half Marathon leaving an hour apart really reduced the mob from last year. It was still packed but not nearly as bad as it was last year. Around mile 2 I caught up with the 3:30 pace group. I don't remember the pacers name, but he seemed to be quite helpful. He was talking with those around him letting them know the pace, how they should feel, the forecast of pace, so on and so forth. Santa even seemed to be taking the advice.
I left the group behind me soon after mile 2. Around mile 3 I started hearing people wishing Santa a good race. Kids lightened up when they seen Santa. I was happy so long as Santa stayed behind me!! Strange thing happened here. I heard someone call my name. I whipped around to scan the crowd expecting to see my daughter, but no one I knew.
Around mile 5 my number bib ripped off (they ought to use a strong tear resistant paper). I had to slow a bit and re-attache the number - running all the time, but slower. It was during this time that Santa finally passed me. I informed Santa that I was hoping he would stay behind me, but since he was there I wanted to personally tell him that I would really like to have a Garmin 305 for Christmas. He smiled and continue putting distance between him and I. Again I hear my name. Still can't figure out who is calling for me. We approached the water station and I decided to attempt the cup drinking thing. I then recalled doughboy's comment about drinking while running "its like throwing a cup of water at your face with you mouth opening and hoping some gets into the hole". Of course this made me chuckle, just ast the water made the hole. I spent the next 3 minutes coughing and laughing. Thanks Steve.
The clock showed 49 minutes at the 10K mark. It was right after that that I came upon a girl that was decked out with scarf, knitted hat, gloves, sweater, and tights. I asked if she was warm enough. She had commented that she JUST started. It took me a minute to realize that she meant that she was in the relay and had just started around the 10K mark. We chatted for a bit until we came up on group of screaming high school girls, blocking most of the road. It was not until I was upon it that I realized it was a water station. I just wanted to get through it. Somehow along the way I lost my short time companion.
It was not long after the screaming girls that I heard my name called yet again. I then realized that it was because I had my name printed on my bib in big bold letter. OH!!!!
Half way point was 1:43. I was doing great! Quick double and I was well below my 3:30 goal. It was right after that point that the course opened up to the full effects of the wind blowing across white rock lake. It was also at this point that I realized that I have almost completely forgotten about keeping up on my nutrient plan. Sure I had taken a few sips now and then, but nothing like I ought to be doing. I have not even touched the first bottle of my fuel belt.
Mile 14 I passed poor Santa. Young guy was feeling the effects of the suit by this point. Mile 15 I made a quick stop to pee. Mile 17 or 18 we got our pictures taken - while the 3:30 pack finally caught up with me, passed me, and ran off into the distance. The pacer though continued to give advice and how best to pose for the pictures. At this point I was just trying to figure out how best to stay alive for the last 8 miles. It was about this point I remembered to take a gel; hoping it will snap me out of my funk.
Finished the lap around the lake and turned to head back to the city. Seen the sign for the Hooters water station. This sort of provided a little anticipatory excitement. Hooter girls manning water stations. This ought to be interesting. Right? Wrong!!! The girls were covered from neck to feet in some of the baggiest sweats I have ever seen. Oh well. I continued my daunting trek. I knew the "dolly parton" hills were coming soon.
I heard my name again, but ignored it. It was not until I heard "MarkQuiet" and "BT" that I realised it was someone I knew. I turned and waved to the guy and girl calling to me, but I had know idea who they were, but happy to know they knew me and was cheering me on. Thanks jcagg0.
Finally found the "dolly parton hills". I took another gel, but I think it was too little too late. For the mile or two of the uphill climb it was all I could do to truck along. I don't recall much of those miles other then I wish that we would get to the top. I also started taking inventory of other runners injuries. Like the one poor guys I passed with bleeding ankles. I know that was going to hurt later.
Somewhere around mile 22 or so the half mary runners merged with us. With the hour offset between race start the runners merging on with us was about the pack running 9:30mm or slower. The marathoners were all running 8 to 8:30mm. This caused us (the marathoners) to start dodging and skipping people once again. Though it added a little mental wakeup for me it still got a little nerve racking. After running for 22miles I was not really in the mood to do some evasive manuevering to avoid walkers. But I did keep in mind that everyone of these people are out here giving it their all. That put me into a great mindset that I can give it my all too.
I picked up the pace for the last three miles. By this point I have just about given up on the gel thing. I was moving totally on determination. At one point the GPS showed something like a 5:45 minute mile split. It was after that I ignored the Garmin.
One last turn and there was home stretch to the finish line. It was then I realized that it was the same as the starting line. I sure hoped my crew would have realized this and was waiting at the right spot. I picked up the pace a little more, but knew I was already over the 3:30 goal. I just wanted to finish. I was not going to worry about those few people that wanted to sprint to the line. Let them go. I finished and I was not too far off my 3:30 goal.
What would you do differently?:

My run in all was technically pretty good. I actually ran the whole distance except for the pee break. What I could have done better was execute my nutrient plan. I had it planned out, but just did not execute it. I am sure I would have done much better in the 15 - 22 mile range had I executed correctly.
Post race
Warm down:

Squeezed my way out of the finishers area. OMG!! They had both marathoners AND half runners exiting through the same small gate. Not to mention they had pictures going on, finishers medals, finishers shirts, space blankets, and chip collection going on all at the same time. Then exiting everyone out the same chute. One the other side of the exit were all the jockstrappers waiting for their runners to come out. What a freaking mess. I am so glad I told my daughter that if we get separated to just head over to the south entrace of the Airlines Center and we would meet up there. She is such a good girl.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Again, follow the nutrient plan as perscribed!!! When running you think you can strectch things a little further. It all catches up with you at the tail end of the race. Also, I am not sure how much NOT having my music with me impeeded my performance, but there was a few time I wish I had it.

Event comments:

I liked the idea of having the staggaring start; however the stagger should be slightly longer so that when the half mary meets up with the mary runners everyone is running close to the same pace.
The finishing area was a mad house and could have been better organized.
It would have been helpful to have more going on during that 14 - 18 mile stretch. That is a bear when runnig a marathon, and having little distractions make it that much harder.

Last updated: 2006-08-29 12:00 AM
Running
03:33:35 | 26.2 miles | 08m 09s  min/mile
Age Group: 84/404
Overall: 434/3507
Performance: Good
Course: The course is essentially a long loop leaving from downtown Dallas out to the White Rock lake, around the lake, then back to downtown Dallas. The first half is a bit flat with some easy down hills. Once around the lake and heading back to town one has to go back up the hills, affectionaly called the "Dolly Parton" hills. Personally, I think the hills requires a bit BIGGER name sake, like John Goodman or Chris Farley - or Meme from the Drew Carey Show. Once cresting the mile or two of uphill battle the course flattens out and has a slight down hill back into town.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2006-12-12 10:29 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth
Subject: White Rock Marathon

2006-12-12 10:39 AM
in reply to: #621984

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas
Subject: RE: White Rock Marathon
AWESOME race Kirk! That is so impressive that you beat your Cowtown time by 45 min!!! One down, three to go for your marathon season! Now, how about you take a bit of time off and rest up???
2006-12-12 11:19 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
DFW Metroplex
Great report Kirk.  Glad you finished within your goal.  Hope you get to feeling better soon.
2006-12-12 11:24 AM
in reply to: #622000

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Congrats on making it to the finish even with a bad nutrition day. That can really throw the day off. You still got very close to your goal even with all that ....... which is a great accomplishment.

And you still beat Santa, right?!
2006-12-12 12:58 PM

User image

Master
McKinney, TX
Hate to see what you can do if you applied yourself. Yikes.
2006-12-12 1:20 PM

User image

Master
Tiger's Den

AWESOME JOB!!!

BTW, your bathroom description pre-race cracked me up. I don't think I've ever heard grunting in the ladies room. I would NOT be able to keep from laughing. I am not above potty humor!

2006-12-12 2:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles
Nice job on running through the hill around mile 20!! Great job again
2006-12-12 2:28 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2006-12-12 3:09 PM

Master
Keller Tx

Awesome, Awesome, Awesome.  Glad I could make you laugh, even though I wasn't there.  You had a fantastic race, and you learned a little from it too.

Im looking forward to reading the 3:19 race report with th BQ beside it really soon!  You'll get there.  You obviously have a gift for running

2006-12-12 3:33 PM

Champion
Dallas, TX
Seen the sign for the Hooters water station. This sort of provided a little anticipatory excitement. Hooter girls manning water stations. This ought to be interesting. Right? Wrong!!! The girls were covered from neck to feet in some of the baggiest sweats I have ever seen.

I was passing out Gu right before the Hooters gals. It was fun cheering people on!

You did a great job! Congrats on your race!
2006-12-12 3:34 PM
in reply to: #622213

Champion
Dallas, TX
SuzanneS - 2006-12-12 1:20 PM

AWESOME JOB!!!

BTW, your bathroom description pre-race cracked me up. I don't think I've ever heard grunting in the ladies room. I would NOT be able to keep from laughing. I am not above potty humor!

Yea... you haven't been in a restroom with some of the ladies I have been with! I have heard grunting before... NOT COOL.

2006-12-12 3:43 PM
in reply to: #622391

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth
KSH - 2006-12-12 3:34 PM
SuzanneS - 2006-12-12 1:20 PM

AWESOME JOB!!!

Yea... you haven't been in a restroom with some of the ladies I have been with! I have heard grunting before... NOT COOL.

You know, reflecting back on that whole thing; I just come to realize that the experience was the first time that there was a line to the stalls, while the urinals stayed open. I wonder how much toilet paper the Center had to go through that day. I know the one I was in was almost out and the line was longer when I got out then when I got on line myself.

2006-12-12 3:44 PM
in reply to: #622390

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth

KSH - 2006-12-12 3:33 PM
Seen the sign for the Hooters water station. This sort of provided a little anticipatory excitement. Hooter girls manning water stations. This ought to be interesting. Right? Wrong!!! The girls were covered from neck to feet in some of the baggiest sweats I have ever seen.
I was passing out Gu right before the Hooters gals. It was fun cheering people on! You did a great job! Congrats on your race!

There was Gu there? All I seen where the Cliff Bar gel stuff. Sorry but I really don't like the Cliff gels. Not to mention they are a pain in the butt to open while running.

2006-12-12 5:01 PM

Champion
Carlsbad, California
Sounds to me like you ran a great race

You were within shouting distance of your goal time and on a different day, and another course without wind and terrain resembling various body parts and you are easily going Sub-3:30.

You are so close to your BQ time, I just gotta believe that in the next few races, you will have it in the bag.

As for the Drinking While Running bit. A friend of mine over in RWOL has a great solution. Take a drinking straw, cut it in half and tuck it into your waistband. When you get the cup, pinch the top and stick the straw in. (It is called the Geetah Straw in his honor)

A few of my friends from RT ran this race also, and in spite of the conditions, it sounds like most everyone had pretty good results. (One of them also did Philly and definitely said this one was better by comparison)

I think that it says a great deal about your running ability that you were able to run right through the tough spots when you were not feeling well and regain your pace and focus.

Oh, and that is tough when the Half runners "ReMerge" into the full late in the race. That happened to me at Long Beach in October and I probably dropped 2 minutes dodging and weaving around walkers and folks with dogs on leashes.

Great first effort in your Marathon Mania Season
2006-12-12 6:23 PM

Master
Frisco, Texas

Great race and great job working through the problems.  You'll get that BQ soon, I'm sure.

I thought the "screaming girls" aid station was pretty cool.  I could hear the noise and was wondering what it was.  It was a gaunlet of screaming girls holding out cups of water and gatorade. 

TJ

2006-12-12 7:03 PM

Master
Sachse
Great race and report!

Kenny

2006-12-14 2:49 PM

Expert
Wow, great job out there and way to work thru it
2006-12-15 12:45 PM

Regular
Chester, NY
Great job.  I can only hope to one day complete a marathon and here you are signed up for a bunch.  Great job.  Jules
2006-12-15 4:48 PM

Regular
Robinson, TX
Great job - anything close to a 3:30 marathon is smoke'n!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » White Rock Marathon Rss Feed