General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tips for flying with your bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-12-15 10:10 AM

Master
Brooklyn, NY
Subject: Tips for flying with your bike
This comes from reading the other thread on "Airline travel with bike"
I have a cousin that works with the TSA and spoke to him last night about this. Some helpful tips for first time bike travelers.

- If you want to put a lock on your stuff, you can purchase a TSA lock (available at most sporting goods shops, airports, etc.). Avialble in different sizes.
Only TSA personnel that handle luggage have a master key to these locks. These keys have serial #'s on therm. If one of these keys are lost, reports need to be submitted and the serial # must be given to the company to get another one.

- Leave "simple" instructions (by the opening, inside, not outside the box/bag), on how to re-pack the stuff and they will do their best to follow. They work in an assembly line environment there so the simpler you make their job the happier they are to oblige to said instructions.

- Don't pack anything that is dense these machines cannot see thru (thick/heavy/stacked books, tools wrapped in pouches, in some shoes the heel.......lead pipes.......etc.). It's the #1 reason they will open a container - even the newer machines can't see thru everything.......yet. A dense object that cannot be seen thru is classified as a "sheild"

- The harder it seems to be sealed (i.e. ultra strong lock), the more it calls to be opened. They will make an effort to contact the passenger but if that person does not show in a timely manner, they will bust it open and miss the flight if required.

MILITARY/duffle bag users
- You are taught how to pack 1/2 a house in those things, shoes at the very bottom, stuffed with sox, belt buckles, etc. Leave them at the very top, by the opening. TSA officials just can't stand to open these. My cousin consulted with a Marine, specifically to learn how you guys & gals do it so he can re-pack with more ease but there is still an awful lot of stuff.
He told me of stories where one holds the bag while a second jumps on it, while yet a third attempts to either re-lock it or simply tape the life out of those bags.

BICYCLE SPECIFIC
-Avoid packing anything electronic in your check in luggage that looks like a stop watch, clock, wires, bike computer, etc. - anything that can remotely look like a homemade bomb. (bicycles usually don't get bothered if with the x-ray machines, they can follow the wires to your bike computer - handle bar to pedals, to rear wheel etc. - most of them are aware of these toys)

- If you pack other stuff in your bike box, spread the stuff out so they don't have to "dig in" to your back or spread thing out to uncover what might be in the middle.
(I rented a Trico box that fit everything tri in in but was a bit dirty & greasy so I put everything in clear zip log bags. Clear recycling bags for larger stuff - tri suit, wet suite, etc.

- CO2 cartriges, big no, no - The FAA enforces this for safety (considered explosives due changing air pressure and temps). My cousin has not heard of any case of the $1,000 per cartridge, as advertized but I certainly don't want to be the first. Buy two at the race sight and give them away (to a local BT?) before leaving. The TSA will almost always simply open your container, remove it and you lose a few bucks.

- Leave your bike shoes by the opening. The machine will go off when the cleats & hard surface cannot penetrate them. TSA can see they are shoes but still need to follow protocol (especially if the boss is close by)

- Deflate your tires. Air pressure changes

LASTLY - TSA doesn't want to keep your luggage there, they want it to go away as quickly as possible. They would much prefer to stand around, look at a screen and get paid for it.
How happy would you be if the public made your job harder?

2006-12-15 4:59 PM
in reply to: #624904

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado Springs, CO
Subject: RE: Tips for flying with your bike
great tips, thanks
2006-12-15 6:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Security, CO
Bronze member
If you put wings on your bike it will fly better.
2006-12-15 6:24 PM
in reply to: #625475

User image

Champion

I think you have to average 28mph to keep it in the air too.

PintoRacer - 2006-12-15 6:23 PM If you put wings on your bike it will fly better.

2006-12-15 8:02 PM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA

These guys might have good advice for you!

(I crack myself )

(N%207799.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
N%207799.jpg (7KB - 28 downloads)
2006-12-15 9:45 PM

User image

Master
piece o heaven
GOOD TIPS THANKS!

2006-12-16 1:20 PM

User image

Expert
Seattle WA
Great tips - thank you!! I heard from another source that tere was no need to deflate tires. ALthough intuitively it seems logical to deflate them.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tips for flying with your bike Rss Feed