in reply to: #886042

Regular
Subject: RE: McFuzz's Group - FULL
YAY! DEREK!! Way to go!
2007-07-15 8:09 AM
in reply to: #625423

Regular

I would REALLY love to get ALL of us together sometime (maybe next summer??)... the whole mentor group. Maybe we could do a Tri or jockstrap or both somewhere. I'm up for it, anyone else?? (and by all means, BAMBAM66, you are included in this too!)

Have bike, running shoes and tri-shorts, will travel. (I promise to wear my sports bra too)

2007-07-15 8:55 AM
in reply to: #886285

User image

Veteran
Southern Maryland
You read my mind! I was just thinking of this last night. I feel like we have all gotten to know each other so well, yet we haven't actually met in person. (except for Steph, Beth and Mike). I'm game!
2007-07-15 9:33 AM

User image

Master
MidWest
It's funny that you should mention it!!! Derek was talking about they guys (& whoever else is game) doing Steelhead (HIM) next summer and the rest of us jockstrap!!!  We would have to squeeze a couple extra days just to hang out before or after the race.
2007-07-15 2:45 PM
in reply to: #886308

User image

Veteran
Southern Maryland
I'm not committing to anything called "jockstrap" until I know what it is! Seriously, what is it?

2007-07-15 3:18 PM

User image

Master
MidWest

It's another word for cheerleader.  It's also referred to as being an athletic supporter!!!

2007-07-15 3:44 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Jockstrappers are those souls who get up at O-dark-thirty with their favorite athlete and help load gear, maybe grab coffee and/or food.  Take pictures, and cheer the athletes on.  They're the ones who drive the sleeping athlete home afterwards too! 
2007-07-15 4:05 PM
in reply to: #886512

User image

Veteran
Southern Maryland
Ohhhh, you mean a MOM!
2007-07-27 8:28 AM

User image

Veteran
Southern Maryland
Subject: Tire changing
OK guys I have a tire question. (actually a tube question) I had to change my front tire (tube) because the valve stem was broken. I got the tire off fine, put in the new tube and got the tire back on. However, I can't seem to get the tire bead to fit snugly enough under the rim, around where the valve is. The valve is causing a slight bulge in the tube which makes it difficult to squeeze the bead into the rim. If you look at it, the tire almost looks fine but I know that if I ride the bike, there is a real danger that the tire could fold right off the rim. I haven't tried to put air in it yet because I'm not comfortable with the way the tire is fitting. Any thoughts?
2007-07-28 9:07 AM
in reply to: #903588

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Tire changing

susanp - 2007-07-27 8:28 AM OK guys I have a tire question. (actually a tube question) I had to change my front tire (tube) because the valve stem was broken. I got the tire off fine, put in the new tube and got the tire back on. However, I can't seem to get the tire bead to fit snugly enough under the rim, around where the valve is. The valve is causing a slight bulge in the tube which makes it difficult to squeeze the bead into the rim. If you look at it, the tire almost looks fine but I know that if I ride the bike, there is a real danger that the tire could fold right off the rim. I haven't tried to put air in it yet because I'm not comfortable with the way the tire is fitting. Any thoughts?

Hi Susan,
Mike
(mcfuzz) invited me here to help with your dilemma.

It sounds like you have narrow rims with a shallow sidewall.  Having the tire bead not seat easily is common with this type of wheel.  Here's a suggestion....

- Make sure the tube has some air in it before attempting to seat the tire on the rim.  The tube should only be inflated enough to have form to it and make it hug the inside of the tire.

- Start seating the tire where the valve is, which is the opposite of how you should be taking the tire off.  So, after the tube is in the tire and has some air in it, start placing the tire on the rim on the valve side then work the bead around the rim so that you finish on the opposite side of the wheel. 

- After you have the bead around the entire rim place another 10-20 pounds of air in the tire, just enough to cause the tube to put pressure against the tire.  Then, with your thumb and fingers, pinch the tire around the entire rim, kind of like stretching pizza dough, so that the bead falls into place as you're rotating the tire.  This helps to get the tire evenly placed around the rim.  I do this procedure on all of my rim/tires.  If you've ever ridden a bike and there's a wobble or hump in the tire, like a high-spot, that's because the tire is not seated on the rim evenly.

Note:  Having air pressure in the tube when trying to seat the bead helps when you have shallow or narrow rims.  If I over-explained this (which I typically do) and have any other questions please feel free to PM me or stop my my logs.

Ride safe!

2007-07-28 9:17 AM

User image

Veteran
Southern Maryland
Thanks! I'll try that.
2007-08-06 3:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Southern Maryland
Subject: Bikes

Hi Guys!

I posted on the gear section of the BT forums and thought I would post here as well for your input. I am officially shopping for a new bike and would love to get your opinions! Here it is.

I am new to triathlon this year and am researching bike options. I have a Cannondale road bike that I bought in 1987. It is in good shape but not worth upgrading for the amount of money that it would cost. I am looking to get something with a triple chainring and a price limit of $1000. If it's a more expensive bike on a good sale, that's OK too! I have decided against getting a triathlon bike and am more interested in getting a good road bike that I can later modify with aero bars.

SO....I am looking for opinions, advice etc. on a few things. Firstly, does anyone have any experience with women specific geometry? I am not short-5'7"-but a good fit is very important to me and I'd like to know if there is any advantage to looking into these bikes.

Secondly, if I do want to outfit the bike to be a little more "tri specific" later on, what should I keep in mind while I am looking?

Thirdly, women-specific or not, what do you all like or recommend in general? The bike market has expended SO much since I last shopped around (1987!) that it is a bit overwhelming.

Thanks in advance!

2007-08-19 12:28 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

And we have another TRIATHLETE!! 

Go check out Susanp's log. 

2007-08-24 12:47 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Time for some reflection. 

Mike, Steph, Derek, and Susan all finished their first triathlons this year!  Congratulations to all of you!  Some races were a little more tenuous than others. 

You signed up for the mentor program 8 months ago (late December).  Remember that?  Snow flying (for most of us), Tanked up on holiday food and spirit...maybe a little uncertain what this experience would be like...

Hopefully, you've established some close and lasting on-line relationships (seems like it).  We won't formally disband (I'm not sure what Ron's thoughts were when he kicked this off), but we're certainly into the ebb and flow of an ongoing group. 

The 2007 tri-season is drawing to a close for us Northerners.  2008 is pretty far away so now is the time to find some internal motivators to keep training.  What will that be?  There are usually monthly challenges and periodic weight-loss challenges here on BT.  These can be a great way to set some short-term goals (meet new people) and stretch out of your comfort zone again.  (Hikergerb, Morey1, Sassafras, and Oipolloi were all part of the first BT challenge I participated in, and I still check in on them regularly.

If you have some specific suggestions for the BT mentor program, don't hesistate to PM Ron.  I will welcome any suggestions to help me be a better mentor.  Here's a chance also for each of you to reflect on what has gone right for you this year, and what you'd do differently if you had another chance. 

Finally, THANK YOU!  I have gained far more than I gave in this endeavor and I really owe each of you for my growth.  I'm still learning (probably will for the rest of my life), and I can apply this experience to my role as a scout leader, and in my day job.  It's pretty rewarding to see the excitement build as that first race day approaches. 

Don't be shy, it can't be any harder than your first post to this thread! 

2007-08-30 7:07 AM
in reply to: #939269

User image

Veteran
Southern Maryland
McFuzz - 2007-08-24 1:47 PM

Time for some reflection.

Mike, Steph, Derek, and Susan all finished their first triathlons this year! Congratulations to all of you! Some races were a little more tenuous than others.

You signed up for the mentor program 8 months ago (late December). Remember that? Snow flying (for most of us), Tanked up on holiday food and spirit...maybe a little uncertain what this experience would be like...

Hopefully, you've established some close and lasting on-line relationships (seems like it). We won't formally disband (I'm not sure what Ron's thoughts were when he kicked this off), but we're certainly into the ebb and flow of an ongoing group.

The 2007 tri-season is drawing to a close for us Northerners. 2008 is pretty far away so now is the time to find some internal motivators to keep training. What will that be? There are usually monthly challenges and periodic weight-loss challenges here on BT. These can be a great way to set some short-term goals (meet new people) and stretch out of your comfort zone again. (Hikergerb, Morey1, Sassafras, and Oipolloi were all part of the first BT challenge I participated in, and I still check in on them regularly.)

If you have some specific suggestions for the BT mentor program, don't hesistate to PM Ron. I will welcome any suggestions to help me be a better mentor. Here's a chance also for each of you to reflect on what has gone right for you this year, and what you'd do differently if you had another chance.

Finally, THANK YOU! I have gained far more than I gave in this endeavor and I really owe each of you for my growth. I'm still learning (probably will for the rest of my life), and I can apply this experience to my role as a scout leader, and in my day job. It's pretty rewarding to see the excitement build as that first race day approaches.

Don't be shy, it can't be any harder than your first post to this thread!

First of all, and most IMPORTANTLY, Thank YOU, Mike, for being such a great coach, mentor friend, all of the above! You have worked hard, encouraged, cajoled and sometimes carried us through  these months of learning and training. I have learned more in this group than I have anywhere else. So hats off to you!

Now, I have a question to pose for the group: what are everyone's plans for the off season? I know I need a LOT of work on my running so I am going to craft  plan that will really hammer that side of my training. I am also in the market for a new road bike so I will start hitting LBSs and doing some test rides. I need to build up swimming endurance as well. I may join a Masters' group if I have time in my schedule. (Don't want to neglect the family!) Finally, I need to really commit to eating healthier and getting my weight down!!!! I know it will help my training and is just better for me in all aspects.

Well, that's my plan, so far. How about you guys?

2007-09-16 9:03 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

OK everyone...

The season is winding down, and most of us in the North have a long off-season.  We've got about 2 weeks before we hit October, so what are your goals and plans for the rest of 2007?  How about the off-season and 2008? 

You guys aren't bashful, so speak up! 

2007-09-17 5:17 AM
in reply to: #967051

Regular

Ok, ok, ok...

I, myself, have had a horrible year... (depending on how you look at it.)
I have grown as a triathelete, mother, student, and most importantly as a person. It has been the hardest year that I have endured, that I can recall. These changes have caused a great rift in my personal life. There is no blame. I just know that when things change, there has to be room for this change.  The worst part is: other people have to be willing to accept that change or not. I guess in my situation, it is the NOT. The best part is: my children are happy with who I have become, I am happy with who I have become. That's what matters.

This year, I have come a long way, yet I see, I have quite a ways to go.
The rest of this year, I would like to spend getting my running built up. Yeah, so what if I can't race in the Detroit Half.... there is always going to be another race. 

I plan on starting my Oly training in December (Anyone wanna join me?? BAM? SUSAN?). I hope for many Sprints, Halfs and a great Oly next summer. (School starts for me in May.) In December, I will look for specific races. I hope to find a fall Marathon to dream about next year too.

Beyond that, I dare not dream...I really don't know how school is going to go. There are many if's. IF I can pay for it (school, races, gear). IF I'll have time to train effectively, time to race.  IF there is $$ left over to live and not work for a whole year and a half, while in school (this is the biggest, since there will no longer be a second income).

These are only a few of the pressures and burdens that are weighing heavily on me currently.

Time to post these goals, hey?

2007-09-17 5:11 PM

User image

Veteran
Denver

Good day for reflection. I"ve come a long ways. I got a glimpse of that this weekend when I went back to Montana.

As far as this triathlon thing goes, I'M HOOKED. I have more races that I want to do next year than I can afford or have time for. So, I'm just putting them all up there and hopefully get to do half of them. I definately am going to do both races that I did this year again, except, I'll do the long course. And I'm definately going to do the 5430 HIM. I plan to start my training plan for that in March. Other than that, I don't know.

My plans for this winter are to do a lot of weight training and swimming. I definately will keep working out 3-4 days a week. Once soccer is over, I'm going to be hitting the gym quite a bit. I just am very pleased with the weight I've lost and the strength I've gained and I want to keep it up. I definately want to get my nutrition dialed in better. I want to get faster on the run for sure and learn how to ride my new bike as fast as possible.

I'm hoping to get some good powder days in and make some turns this winter. I love skiing. I also am thinking about doing the Chilly Cheeks Duathlons this winter. Sounds like a fun way to get out and race in the cold weather!

This has been a year of setting goals, reaching some, meeting great new friends, and realizing that I can do whatever I set before me with focus and and a little help from my friends. Thanks everyone!

2007-09-18 11:29 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

I figure it's only fair for me to share goals as well. 

2007 was supposed to be a "light" training year (no HIM), so I'm a little surprised that my cycling time already equals 2006.  My cycling mileage is down, but most of Jan-March was on the trainer where I logged time but no mileage.  With the century ride this weekend, I'll be pretty close to 1000 miles, which I hit last year.  Running and swimming, I'm down in both time and distance.  I'm not going to make any herculean efforts to break 2006 records. 

Realistically, I can probably get 12,000 yards per month in the pool.  At 2000 yards per swim, this means getting wet 6 times per month.  A little less than twice a week, but next week isn't looking good, and I see a few more weeks just like this in the last quarter of 2007.  I can also shoot for 30 miles per month running.  This will mean at least 2 3-5 mile runs per week (in the morning). 

It's time (or soon will be) to start back on the elliptical trainer.  This was great to get me ready for backpacking in 2005, so I'll start hitting it in the remaining mornings.  I've got the bike trainer, but I'll probably opt for the elliptical over cycling. 

My big challenge will be to get back to a consistent morning workout.  This will mean getting to bed earlier so I'm not inclined to hide under the blankets when the alarm sounds. 

That'll take me through 2007.  I'll have some Saturday hikes instead of rides, and I'll still have my Monday hike.  2008 will be all about Philmont until 7/31 (when we leave Philmont).  We'll probably go directly from Galesburg (Amtrak station) to Benton Harbor to volunteer for Steelhead. 

(Oh...end of June, I should know if I'm training for IMCdA '09 or not.  I'll have lots of soul-searching before then.

2007-09-18 10:54 PM

User image

Regular
Horseheads, NY

It's been an interesting year, as I decided to embark on triathlon training last November. Now, almost a year later, I look back with satisfaction at having accomplished all of my race goals for the year. I established PRs in the marathon, the half marathon and 5k races. I finished a sprint triathlon and the swim didn't kill me. It's kinda funny how I wait to my 40s to get in the best shape of my life.

Now that I've gotten my feet wet with tris, I want to build on the experience, and become more competitive. The swim has been my nemesis and it's the one thing that keep me from loving all aspects of the tri life. I am so non-buoyant that it's ridiculous. I've swum 56,000 yards this year, but mostly with swimming aids. To this day I can't swim more than 200 yards without a swim aid. I've gone through 3 rounds of swimming lessons meeting up with either bad luck (instructor moving from the area) or instructors who had no clue as to how to help me. So I'll definitely be taking the Total Immersion workshop the weekend of Oct 27 to help with this deficiency. It's roughly $500 for the weekend, but they have a good track record with helping anchors like me. If I have the misfortune of being the one person that they couldn't help, I'll switch to duathlons. I am counting on success, however. I averaged 2:34/ 100 yds during my sprint this summer. I would like to bring that down to 2:00/100 for my next race.

I can't really say that I'm satisfied with my biking. I averaged 18 mph during my sprint; but I'd like to get that to over 20 mph for my next race. In the next month or so, I'll be buying a Computrainer to help achieve this goal. This will be a better biking aid than my current trainer, and should give me challenging workouts all winter long.  If I really progress bike wise, a Tri bike could be on the horizon.  Is this an expensive hobby or what?

I'm somewhat satisfied with my running. I'm going to give a full 3 months to this low heart rate - base building plan to help me run more efficiently (more aerobically than anaerobically). My biggest goal for next year is to qualify for the Boston Marathon. To do that, I'd need to run a 3:30 marathon, which would involve me taking an additional 19 minutes off of my previous marathon PR. I think I'm up for that challenge. Because this is my big goal, I'll look to do a spring marathon first; and if I don't qualify at that time, another one in the fall will be on the agenda.

Tri-wise, I've already registered for next May's Columbia Triathlon (an Olympic), which is in my hometown of Columbia, MD. I will most likely do the Musselman Sprint again, so I can see how next year's me compares to this year's me. I will do a half Ironman next year as well; probably Steelhead, if some of this group are going to be there.

Lastly, I've enjoyed the connections I've made with this group. I was talking with Marmadaddy a couple of weeks ago, and he expressed surprise that most of our was still together and in touch regularly.

Edited by boyddr 2007-09-18 10:57 PM

2007-11-04 8:10 AM

User image

Veteran
Southern Maryland

Hi Everybody. Here is a thread I posted on the Injury/Health Issues forum. I thought I'd put it here too, in case anyone has some helpful advice. Thanks in advance!

I have had breathing problems while running all of my life (at least since my teen years). I always thought it was in my head but after reading posts about exercise induced asthma, I am rethinking it.

I have never been able to understand why other people run so easily (compared to me) and build up endurance so quickly. I find it to be such a difficult experience that I have never built up to more than 4 miles before I quit for months and sabotage myself. 

Here is my typical running experience: I start my run without too much trouble. After about a two or three minutes, my breathing  gets a little more labored as my heart rate tries to catch up with my effort. Once I settle in to a rhythm (if you can call it that) my breathing is usually uncomfortable labored and I have a wheeze or rattle at the end of my exhalation. Right now, I can't run more than a mile and a half without walking to catch my breath. After that, I have to run/walk the rest. As I train, I do improve my distance some but it is slow. When I am done, I cough and hack up mucous for about 30 minutes afterwards. This is pretty much the way it goes, even on good days. I seem to be a little better on the bike and swim. Running is by far the worst.

I normally have a persistent, touchy cough year round and it often wakes me up at night. Right now, I am using a steroid inhaler, Flovent, twice a day. I am not sure how much it is helping but I am trying to be religious about it. I have head exercise induced asthma attacks, a few times but that was about 20 years ago.

I have done on Sprint tri and REALLY want to continue. This problem SERIOUSLY affects my will to train and I am sick of it. I HATE feeling like I can't do this. I have entered the Columbia Triathlon (Olympic distance) that is scheduled for May 18th and I want to do more than struggle half walking, half running to the finish. Can ANYONE help me with this? I want triathlon to be my life but right now it is very difficult.

Oh...I am 45, 5'7", 167 lbs. (I know..overweight!) and female, if this helps.

2007-12-20 10:52 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

'K everyone.

It's easy to get caught up in recent history and lose sight of the big developments.  So, time for a little reflection.

This thread was started 12/15/06.  In the last 12 months, Susan, Steph, Derek, and Mike (mtskibum) completed their first triathlon!  (Some of you have done several.)  Zach still logs on BT and had his first child this year which disrupted racing.  We lost Maureen in April. 

What other successes can you count for 2007? 

I'll start: 
You guys are still active and inspring each other (YEA!!
Most of you are already signed up for races in 2008!  (And all of you are planning races for 2008)

What surprised you this year? 

Come January 1, 2008, post your 2007 totals here. 

2008-01-09 2:53 PM

User image

Veteran
Denver

I have to ask a couple questions that are bugging me. I need help!

1. Everytime I swim I warm up and cool down with breast stroke and back stroke. It seems like almost every time during my cool down, my hamstring in one leg or the other lock up and get super tight and feel like I pulled them. Why does this happen?

2. How tight is the roller on my magnetic bike trainer supposed to be up against the back wheel? It is adjustable and I don't know how tight to put it against the tire.

Thanks for the help.

2008-06-21 9:49 AM
in reply to: #1111576

User image

Veteran
Southern Maryland

Hi guys. I am addressing this especially to Mike and Mike, because you two are so great about checking on me and kicking my butt! I obviously have been out of touch and, rather than ignore posts and disappear, I'll just say that I am "out of pocket" for a while.I don't want to quit but I really need to sit and reevaluate my commitment to this Tri adventure. I need to figure out what aspect of "me" gets in the way of my ability to train consistently and live up to my commitments. I feel so guilty every time this page pops up that I avoid addressing this issue even further, thus feeding the cycle.

Thanks for hanging in with me. I plan to keep checking the page and do cyber cheers for you guys from time to time. I'll let you know if I figure anything out!

Take care everyone.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » McFuzz's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 7