Trievents
34C / 93F
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 21m 41s
Overall Rank = 260/
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 7/17
Pre-race routine:

Not the best pre race routine, I had a christmas party on Fri night and got absolutely hammered, I spent yesterday recovering on the couch watching the cricket. stupid way to prepare for a tri, oh well its christmas time.
Woke up before the sun at 4.30 downed a quick breakfast and headed over to dads house. We picked up one of Dad's friends and made the drive down to Rockingham (three weekends of down south driving gets a bit tiring luckily dad was driving this week)
Dad and his friend were going the direction they wanted to go. not the quickest route which I wanted to go. I got umm slightly agitated and we arrived about 20mins after I had planned to get there. urrgghh.
Event warmup:

For a Perth race this was a big one apparently 650 people racing! so as we got there a little late it was a bit chaotic had to wait in a line for ages to register and get my race numbers, I started to panic a little at this time, got through registered and numbered and then had time to set up my gear in transition. turned out I had plenty of time before my wave started as I was in the very last wave.
No warm up, I really should maybe think about doing a warm up one of these days. It was pretty hot at 7 already.
Swim
  • 12m 59s
  • 750 meters
  • 01m 44s / 100 meters
Comments:

I think I would have to say this was one of the best swims I've had in a race! the water was absolutely perfect! No a ripple looked like a mirror. I was in the last wave to start so we had to stand around for about 40mins waiting but that was fine I just stood in the water and went under a few times when it got too hot. Then it was time for my wave. In my wave were girls and then the older guys. I didn't want to get stuck behind the guys so I put myself right up the front, had a good start found a pair of feet immediately and settled into a good pace. realised I wasn't going as hard as I could so after about 200ms I pulled around and swam a bit harder. couldn't find any feet to draft off so stuck my head up for a good look and realised I was actually right up the front with only a few girls (wow!) then put my head back down and concentrated on the few things I've been working on recently high elbows and body roll and just got on with the swim. a little bit later I realised that we were passing people in the wave in front of us. and had to watch where i was swimming. I felt really comfortable and had a great swim! rounded the buoy and headed into the beach, on the way into the shore there was so many starfish shapes just under the sand! very cool
What would you do differently?:

swim faster! not much really I am really happy with this swim I think its about 3 or 4 mins faster then last weeks race which was the same distance! (maybe I've finally got some form back after my shoulder injury)
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

time is included in bike time. I ran into transition and missed my rack, so had to duck under a rack, I've never done that before urrgh. I got my wetsuit off quicker then last week! and I concentrated harder on focusing instead of daydreaming in transition. I was very excited to see there were heaps of bikes left on the rack in my category!

don't miss my rack
Bike
  • 42m 47s
  • 20 kms
  • 28.05 km/hr
Comments:

with 600 odd people out on a 5k bit of road it was very crowded and there was alot of drafting going on out there. It took me until teh first turn around to get my heart rate settled and relax a bit. I made sure I drank this week it was hot so I knew I really had to drink. My legs wouldn't go as fast as I wanted them too. I couldn't change my gears into the big chain ring, got to take it in for a service.

with 4 laps there was alot of tight turning, I did that alot better then last week so happy with that. The wind picked up on the last two laps on the way back in so that was a little harder to push.
Alot of people from my club were out there cheering and supporting us which was helpful

Overall it was an all right ride, I know I can go lots faster I don't think friday night helped this ride one little bit! got to get my bike serviced, as its new all the cables need adjusting
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

I couldn't get my socks on, the left one just wouldn't go on!

again concentrate focus
Run
  • 25m 53s
  • 5 kms
  • 05m 11s  min/km
Comments:

It was hot by the time I started the run, dumped a cup of water over my head at the first drink station. the new bike really makes a different running off the bike, it doesn't feel anywhere near as bad as it used to. the first lap seemed to take forever even though it was only 2.5k! every drink station I had a little sip of water and the rest of the cup went over my head.

I think with my training I ran as fast as I can manage today. I really would like to go faster but I'm happy with my time with my ability at the moment!
the last lap of the run was hot,
Post race
Warm down:

I grabbed some fruit and lots of water, and headed back down to the ocean and had a swim to cool down. I felt a million dollars after the swim. Watched the presentations didn't win any spot prizes! although after looking at the results today I'm quite excited that I finished 7 out of 17 in my age group in a series race!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

lack of speed!

Event comments:

I had a good day, I was really relaxed and knew I hadn't had the best preparation with a serious hangover the day before so I think I did a pretty good job! the presentations afterwards were a bit hard to hear and I managed to get sunburnt with stacks of suncream on. But I had a good day out and was good to have so many people I know out there racing too,.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2006-12-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:59 | 750 meters | 01m 44s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/17
Overall: 119/
Performance: Good
Suit: sleeveless wetsuit
Course: deep water start straight swim along the beach right hand turn at a buoy and into shore.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 22C / 72F Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:42:47 | 20 kms | 28.05 km/hr
Overall: 256/
Wind: Little
Course: 4 laps! out and back
Road:  Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Below average Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:25:53 | 05 kms | 05m 11s  min/km
Overall: 260/
Course: 2 laps out and back transition times are included in the run time
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-12-17 6:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Perth, Oz
Subject: City of Rockingham Triathlon

2006-12-17 6:56 PM
in reply to: #626479

User image

Expert
Herndon VA
Subject: RE: City of Rockingham Triathlon

Hey Mel,

Great race.  That was one smoking fast swim time and a really good run time.  I'm glad that the new bike made a difference on the run.   I see that you've stop talking/meeting people in the transition area.   Or at least quit putting it in your race report.  Congratulations on the age group finish.  You're going to do well this year.

Ernie 

2006-12-17 7:19 PM

Perth

Very well done, 7th in your age group...great work.  Good swim, i'm very jelouse.  Very well organised race and a fantasic day...i'm sure that result made it even better for you...

You do realise that you have to hit the turps before every race now if you want to keep up that form...

2006-12-17 7:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Melbourne
Great racing Mel, even after a few big days!
I can't get over how fast your swim was!!

Congratulations on the 7th placing
2006-12-17 8:37 PM

User image

NSW - Australia

Tops race Mel, and a great report.

Way to go backing up from a big couple of days.

2006-12-17 9:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Queensland
Gold member

Great race result! Awesome swim time!

Well done!

2006-12-17 10:01 PM

User image

Champion
Sydney

Wow! 7th in your age group is awesome!!!!

3 min improvement on the swim from the previous race is amazing!

Less day dreaming is transition is very cool!

Go Mel Go!

2006-12-18 7:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Brisbane

What a great race Mel, you must be absolutely stoked with your results!!

Roll on 2007, I think you're going to have a great year.

PS. I so wish I could swim as fast as you.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » City of Rockingham Triathlon Rss Feed