General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Prior knee surgery and new pain Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-12-19 8:32 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Millersville, MD
Subject: Prior knee surgery and new pain
I had the ACL in my left knee replaced a year ago. I tore it playing softball when one of my cleats stuck in the ground the the rest of me kept on moving forward.
I was never much of a runner before the surgery, but decided I needed to lift weights less and drop weight to be able to run regularily after the surgery.
At about the 6 month mark I realized I was not back to where I thought I should be. So, at the end of the summer I decided to start triathlon training. I swim like a wounded animal on the Discovery Channel, but that is another thread.
My long runs have gotten longer over the past few months. I did 7 last week and was going to do 7 1/2 Sunday on a much more hilly course. I was about 4 miles in on a long downhill when the knee started to hurt. then all at once, it really started to hurt. It still does. Even today during the swim, it felt wrong. Not like it was when it was torn, but like right after the surgery, tight, inflamed.
Has anyone who had knee surgery ever expereinced anything like this before? How long should I lay off? Any advice other than RICE? This was a rest week, so I thought I would lay off the runs until the weekend. Any thoughts?

2006-12-21 5:04 PM
in reply to: #628569

User image

Elite
Texas
Subject: RE: Prior knee surgery and new pain
I'm no ortho doc, but I've had 7 knee surgeries and I've continued to run after each one. RICE is the ticket for the effusion (swelling) you get after running. There's no other/better way, other than not running... Good luck.
2006-12-21 7:42 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
rest it ice it...you would have KNOWN if you re-tore your ACL.  See how it feel next week..
2006-12-21 8:42 PM
in reply to: #631121

User image

Elite
Texas

sue7013 - 2006-12-21 7:42 PM rest it ice it...you would have KNOWN if you re-tore your ACL.  See how it feel next week..

And she IS an ortho doc... an IFD at that!

2006-12-21 8:44 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Millersville, MD
Thanks for the responses. I've taken it easy all week and iced the %#@^ out of it every night. I'll try a light run in a few days and pick it up again next week.
2006-12-23 4:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Millersville, MD
I start by saying I am all too aware that a little access to knowledge is a dangerous thing, but I searched a few old knee injury threads and think what I have is an overpronation problem in the knee that I had the work done on that in turn caused runners knee. I got new motion control shoes and an velcro thing that goes around the bottom of the knee to hold the patellar tendon in place and distribute the stress.
I definately have problems going downhill, trouble sitting for long period without wanting to stand and pop the knee, weak quads, and tight hamstrings. I'll try to strengthen the quads/looses the hammies, run light for a few weeks, and wear the velcro band. I'll repost in a month or so for others to see if it works so it can help the next person with the same problem.

2006-12-23 4:16 PM
in reply to: #632395

User image

Master
piece o heaven
fgray - 2006-12-23 4:05 PM

I start by saying I am all too aware that a little access to knowledge is a dangerous thing, but I searched a few old knee injury threads and think what I have is an overpronation problem in the knee that I had the work done on that in turn caused runners knee. I got new motion control shoes and an velcro thing that goes around the bottom of the knee to hold the patellar tendon in place and distribute the stress.
I definately have problems going downhill, trouble sitting for long period without wanting to stand and pop the knee, weak quads, and tight hamstrings. I'll try to strengthen the quads/looses the hammies, run light for a few weeks, and wear the velcro band. I'll repost in a month or so for others to see if it works so it can help the next person with the same problem.

The Velcro strap is a Cho Pat Strap - excellent to for the stress. And everyhting depends on location of pain. I am 2 surgeries (r n L ACL's) and having current problems. I had to cut biking down alot to allow for rest and just swam with little kicking( I really do not kick alot anyway). Alos turned to walking more, to have less stress to knee.
I have been trying to pinpoint paon for 2 weeks and figured it to my patella, with worries of meniscus. I would really listen to the kne to find the pain and just RICE!
2006-12-26 12:36 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Kind of sounds like patellofemoral pain...usually the fix is physical therapy....go see you ortho doc and get a refferal.  THey should give you exercises to do on your own at home   Good luck
2006-12-30 5:04 AM

User image

Veteran
Upstate South Carolina

fgray, I hope you're still reading your post. I'm a physical therapist and can tell you it takes longer then people think for their bodies to heal completely and even then, the joint is never the same as if you had never injured it. Having said that I'll tell you a personal story. I had my knee scoped and was back to running 5k's. 9 months post-op I ran a 2 mile run on a concrete race course, the next day my knee was swollen and sore, very sore. I had lost range of motion, the whole nine yards. It took over a week for the effusion to subside and I used tons of ice. I've had no major issue like that for 4 yrs but I do get occasional swelling that I notice.

After 6 months, I do't know what it was that made you realize you were not back to where you should be nor where you expected to be but try this test:

Jump off your non surgical leg as high as you can and touch the wall, use tape to mark it if you can or have a friend watch. Perform 3 times.  Then try it off your surgical leg and compare. If you've strengthened your knee enough you should be jumping even. You must jump off of one leg, no touching the ground for balance with the other foot. Swing your arms all you want, this should be an all out effort.

2006-12-30 8:54 PM
in reply to: #637095

User image

Extreme Veteran
Millersville, MD
The left leg is weaker than the right. I will try to work weights/strength leg workouts into the mix once a week or so. Thanks to all for your advice.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Prior knee surgery and new pain Rss Feed